OT: whitetail rut

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
These muleys are chasing a little differently on Christmas Eve, not that there's anything wrong with that ..

View attachment 23374

I saw these hot boys on my way to get some tape for last minute wrapping just now, I couldn't help but think of this thread so I snapped a photo.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Deer were moving like crazy this afternoon in Grenada County. Saw a nice 8 point chasing a doe and does slipping around errywhere.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Drove from Madison to Memphis Thursday and back today and I don't ever recall seeing so many deer carcasses on the roadsides. If I saw that many there is no telling how many I didn't see. Says three things...lots of deer, lots of movement and lots of business for body shops.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Had a nice buck walk across the street in front of us last night in Hernando. Went up the street some more and saw almost a dozen does eating under a street lamp.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Drove from Madison to Memphis Thursday and back today and I don't ever recall seeing so many deer carcasses on the roadsides. If I saw that many there is no telling how many I didn't see. Says three things...lots of deer, lots of movement and lots of business for body shops.

I drive from Canton to Whyknowner what seems like a hundred times from Oct to Feb, and yes there are ton of runt over deer on the side of 55 right now.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Just let a 14 in 8 walk at 5 yards from stand. Had 2 does with and he was grunting a little,but mostly feeding through. Think one of the does got close enough to see my 4 wheeler and wheeled and ran and he then followed grunting heavy till out of my hearing.

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
Through your experiences or second-hand knowledge who does the best taxidermy work on Whitetail Deer, in all forms with consistency, in central Mississippi?

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
Worst acorn crop I have seen in sometime, north delta area. Nice problem to have when you have a lot of oaks.

It’s been weird in spots. Some dropped early and fast then leaves covered them up by gun season. I’ve been kicking leaves or seeing where they have been pawing around. Wonder if the freeze and floods messed some up.

Sep 15, 2009
2 or 3 bleats with the Can with series of grunts behind it works like a charm for me. But only do it like every 30-45 minutes. You can overdo it. If one slips in the area and is watching in your direction and you do this it’s over with. They gone

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Through your experiences or second-hand knowledge who does the best taxidermy work on Whitetail Deer, in all forms with consistency, in central Mississippi?

I’ve used Ellis Solomon (In Brandon) for a deer, a pheasant and a couple ducks. I’ve been very happy with all of them. Only caution with Ellis is he is usually extremely busy. I dropped a deer off in last January or early February earlier this year and have not received it back yet. But he did tell me when I dropped it off it would be awhile.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Nope. I usually don’t pass those either, but already have 1 14 in 9 point in the freezer from 2 weeks ago.

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
I’m in a spot that I have never been in before and it’s a hard step to take. The one taxidermist I’ve used for 30 years is no longer living. I have a couple of heads in the freezer and it’s like a 2nd and 3rd burial giving them to someone else. I have trust issues.

Solomon’s name has popped up.

Anyone else with recommendations please share.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m in a spot that I have never been in before and it’s a hard step to take. The one taxidermist I’ve used for 30 years is no longer living. I have a couple of heads in the freezer and it’s like a 2nd and 3rd burial giving them to someone else. I have trust issues.

Solomon’s name has popped up.

Anyone else with recommendations please share.

Unless it's going to set some type of record, I just do European mounts (if anything). $100 and you get it back in a couple of weeks.

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
I meant to downvote sorry.

If you want to skull mount 140” deer thats your prerogative, not mine.

Skull away.

If people only mounted RECORDS, there wouldn’t be many taxidermists around.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Skull away.

No problem, personally i probably wouldn't mount a 140, but have no problems with those who do. We're good, i'm one of those hunters who thinks the best way to mess up a hunt is to kill a deer, I just like watching them in the woods on a crisp winter's day. Crazy the amount of money and time I spend on prep work, to let deer walk! I've never even gotten a deer scored and haven't kept up with most racks, and never gotten one mounted. I do European mounts for my kids bigger bucks, mainly because my processor takes care of it.

Last edited:

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012

Skull away.

I don’t have a recommendation, but I’m in the same boat as you. My taxidermist moved over the summer and I’ve got to find somebody new. Good news is, I haven’t seen a shooter buck while on the stand all year.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Had a few bass and a deer done 17+ years ago over at Tibbee taxidermy. Came out real nice and was fairly priced. Not sure if they are still around or not.

RedStickDawg

Sep 16, 2012
I second Ellis Solomon. I have used him for 5 shoulder mounts and dropped off a 140” 9 point to him last week. He is the best around IMO. He goes the extra mile…even calls when he finds a scar or something of the like to make sure you know it’s there if you didn’t see it when caping him out. Just all around great people there too. He does take a while, but the way I look at it is it’s a lifetime investment and I want time taken on it. So, I’m happy to wait patiently.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login