OT: Will Smith just slapped Wayne Madkin during the Oscars

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Because it has been heavily reported. Its the same way I know a lot of things, even if I wasnt there and didnt have direct access(via televised coverage).
It has been reported and there are pictures of it happening. Oh, Tyler Perry also 'comforted' Smith afterwards.

Sure, it could have all been staged, but that is a ton of effort for an early April Fool's joke on us all. Or maybe those comforting Smith and his wife werent in on the staging. Ooh, well there is quite the secretive conspiracy theory, right? Pretty sure the mental gymnastics to make this possible are more work than what Qanon did to make some of those stories seem possible to followers.

Look at all the publicity both Will and Chris are getting from it. Everyone and I mean everyone is talking about it and either he hits like a girl or he really wasn't mad. Chris and Will might have planed it and did not tell anyone. Will is very good self promoter. That is very very plausible.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Look at all the publicity both Will and Chris are getting from it. Everyone and I mean everyone is talking about it and either he hits like a girl or he really wasn't mad. Chris and Will might have planed it and did not tell anyone. Will is very good self promoter. That is very very plausible.

It is certainly possible. I wouldnt say it is very very plausible, but sure it is possible.
Thats a lot of effort just for some next day discussion over the incident. Its not like Will Smith was some B-list celebrity who hadnt been relevant for years and needed to get some publicity. He and his family are quite prominently featured still- I know about **** thats happening with them and I dont follow any celebrity sites or even use Twitter. Someone like that doesnt seem like the type who is desperate to be talked about the day after an awards show.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Staged doesn't necessarily mean everyone in the building was in on it. In fact, if I were going to stage something like that, I wouldn't have had anyone other than Smith, Rock, myself and maybe 1 or 2 other people in on it. That way, all the other reactions would be real.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Definitely possible.

Staged doesn't necessarily mean everyone in the building was in on it. In fact, if I were going to stage something like that, I wouldn't have had anyone other than Smith, Rock, myself and maybe 1 or 2 other people in on it. That way, all the other reactions would be real.

But if it were, Smith is a much better actor than I previously gave him credit for. Those were some pretty genuine "oh **** I 17ed up" emotions shown in that acceptance/apology speech he made. He looked like he was in a bad place. If that was fake, it was great job delivering.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I'd pay for the gas for someone to drive up to Iowa and bitchslap you to hell and back. That's just an opinion.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It is certainly possible. I wouldnt say it is very very plausible, but sure it is possible.
Thats a lot of effort just for some next day discussion over the incident. Its not like Will Smith was some B-list celebrity who hadnt been relevant for years and needed to get some publicity. He and his family are quite prominently featured still- I know about **** thats happening with them and I dont follow any celebrity sites or even use Twitter. Someone like that doesnt seem like the type who is desperate to be talked about the day after an awards show.

No actor or actress especially Will Smith is going to get up and slap someone on that stage and on national tv. He is not going to do it unless it was planned. He has enough smarts and control to keep his bearings. He would have settle that after the show. Look at Chris Rock. His hands are behind his back and face lean forwards waiting on it then add in, it was a weak *** slap. You are a fool if you think it was not planned. If anything he would get up, take the mic away and start making fun of Chris Rock.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's also very definitely possible. Whatever it was, it got people talking. First time I've heard anything about the Oscars in probably the last decade.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
If they strip his Oscar then I’ll be 100% on board that it wasn’t staged. I’m betting they don’t take it away though.

Watching additional footage and stuff I’ve moved to more of a 50/50 position. Weird situation all around.

I shouldn’t care at all, but it’s more interesting that rehashing our bullpen woes.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Rock kinda flinched afterwards, like he was about to throw his hands up in case Smith swung again. If not for that I'd think it was staged. But it looked like Rock honestly thought for just a split second that he might get hit again.

Definitely good way to get people taking about the oscars again whether it was staged or not.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
This is not a gray area. Chris Rock wasn't threatening anyone or inciting violence. He made a joke. You might not like the joke. You might find it offensive. That doesn't present a gray area of whether or not you can smack someone on national TV. Assault is never justified because you find a joke offensive.

This is the problem with the idea that "offensive words are violence". It leads to actual violence.
TH

This is why so many people are ********. They call it civilized when a society lets people walk around being a jerk with no consequences. I say he should have had the **** slapped out of him. If people were allowed to slap the **** out of people when they were ******** then less people would be ******** or they would learn out to fight one.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
He should file charges and a civil suit.

You file charges for a slap? Tell you what, I would get my monies worth. I would go back for 2nd's and make damn sure you had a reason to file a lawsuit. What a ******* ***** you are.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Anyone remember when Jerry Lawler slapped the hell out of Andy Kaufman on the David Letterman Show? Most people thought it was real and not a staged incident for 10 years until revealed that it was fake. Same thing happened last night. Fake and staged with only a few people in on it. All for publicity and attention to get people talking.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No actor or actress especially Will Smith is going to get up and slap someone on that stage and on national tv. He is not going to do it unless it was planned. He has enough smarts and control to keep his bearings. He would have settle that after the show. Look at Chris Rock. His hands are behind his back and face lean forwards waiting on it then add in, it was a weak *** slap. You are a fool if you think it was not planned. If anything he would get up, take the mic away and start making fun of Chris Rock.

Very true, good points.

Rock's reaction was surprising. The slap has been called weak, but I bet most here would be shaking and have to turn away. Rock stood there...so it could have been expected or acted to offset the hit.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I’ll admit that in general, I agree and that Smith was probably wrong. But let’s dream up a scenario here. Let’s say that Quincy Wagstaff’s wife was going through chemo (I would never wish that on you or anyone you know, btw). Now let’s say you’re at a show and the comedian points out your wife and makes the same exact joke that Chris Rock made. Know what I mean?

My wife makes chemo jokes about other people's wives all the time. Not once has she been assaulted.

I guess I come from people with thicker skin. My father loved a good cancer joke, all the way up to the point it took his life.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I heard a great explanation from a cultural theorist on twitter: Smith was simply enacting whiteness and carryinig out the violence inherent in white supremacy. He initially laughed, but after noticing how angry his wife looked, he decided to defend her honor, much like those white southerners who put white women on a pedastal and defended their honor by slapping those deemed to have dishonered them. Smith momentarily embraced toxic notions of masculinity derived from America's honor culture. Violence is merely one of the cultural norms and patterns embedded in America's matrix of white supremacist oppression that influences our institutions and the behavior of whites and BIPOC peoples alike. Will Smith is thus blameless.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I heard a great explanation from a cultural theorist on twitter: Smith was simply enacting whiteness and carryinig out the violence inherent in white supremacy. He initially laughed, but after noticing how angry his wife looked, he decided to defend her honor, much like those white southerners who put white women on a pedastal and defended their honor by slapping those deemed to have dishonered them. Smith momentarily embraced toxic notions of masculinity derived from America's honor culture. Violence is merely one of the cultural norms and patterns embedded in America's matrix of white supremacist oppression that influences our institutions and the behavior of whites and BIPOC peoples alike. Will Smith is thus blameless.

lol I know the Olympics are over, but that person deserves a gold medal in mental gymnastics.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It’s also tracks coming from you.

Being inconsistent.

Calling out **** that fits your agenda and being a passive ***** when it doesn’t.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
I don't think this was staged at all. There are now clips circulating on Twitter of Denzel and other actors talking to Will over in the corner during a commercial break after it happened and Will is obviously crying and upset.

Well he is an actor

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And 17 those publicist too.

They should have been whispering “stand up and take the walk of shame out of the building like a real man and not one who acts like a *****”.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Everyone should take a class from a humanities or social science prof at State who has accepted some cultural theory. They are so earnest about their ********, idiotic ideas and theories that they don't realize how funny they are. Some of the most best comedy on the planet from emotionally unstable people.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Good thing he only joked about her and didn't 17 her. Oh wait....

Yeah we should all smack someone instead of talking to them

When Will Smith said, "Get my wife's name out of your mouth", Rock should have shot back, "From what I hear, it is tough for people to keep things in Jada's mouth."

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
So the publicists were scurrying over to Smith and wife at each commercial break because they wanted to keep up the staged incident? And Denzel Washington spoke with Smith to keep up the staged incident?

Seems like a lot of effort.

Again, they are actors. They role play for a living.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So you think Will Smith is falling on the sword for the sake of Oscar ratings?

I mean what does Will Smith have to gain by this?
Chris Rock? Ok maybe he can gain some publicity but will smith is still at a high enough point in his career he is winning Oscars.

He was also bitter at the Oscars a few years ago.

So your take is he is getting a lot of negative pub and just publicity that he doesn’t need to help the Oscar’s?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It’s also tracks coming from you.

Being inconsistent.

Calling out **** that fits your agenda and being a passive ***** when it doesn’t.

In spite of your demand, I do not have to state an opinion on everything. That does not make me inconsistent, it just makes you unreasonably demanding.
I have no agenda in this matter so this incident neither fits nor doesnt fit.

What is funny is that I have offered up an opinion in this thread. I think it was not staged based on the swearing and consoling afterwards. Others have offered up counter opinions and I considered then agreed that such circumstances could be correct.
An entire conversation of mine took place based on opinions that was not hostile and was informative, and you seem to have missed it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
So you think Will Smith is falling on the sword for the sake of Oscar ratings?

I mean what does Will Smith have to gain by this?
Chris Rock? Ok maybe he can gain some publicity but will smith is still at a high enough point in his career he is winning Oscars.

He was also bitter at the Oscars a few years ago.

So your take is he is getting a lot of negative pub and just publicity that he doesn’t need to help the Oscar’s?

Any Pub in show business is good Pub. It gets people talking about you.,

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If that was staged and Smith and Rock were both in on it, they're guilty of peddling the same racists tropes the entertainment industry always seems to be pushing --
art imitating thug life.

BiscuitEater

Aug 29, 2009
Apparently Jada’s bald look is because of a medical issue. Not sure if Chris Rock knew that. If he did, he deserved to get smacked. If not, the fresh prince was way out of line.

Will Smith and Jada have an "open" marriage, so basically his defense of her is 'laughable.' Academy statement that it doesn't 'condone' violence IS REALLY 'laughable' as they let Will back 'on stage' 15 minutes later. So they have NEVER given an Oscar to a "violent" movie? Ever?

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I firmly believe Rock was headed in the smartass direction, then thought better of it and decided to do the smart thing. He just shut up and let Will Smith's lunacy hang in the air.

I'm sure Chris Rock is (as most professional comedians would be) quick enough that he had about 10 killer comebacks immediately come to his mind that would have led to total destruction of Oscar night. Which would have been hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login