OT: Yankee takeover of southern colleges

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Interesting read on enrollment of students from northern states in southern colleges absolutely skyrocketing over the last couple of decades. The main drivers: cost, football atmosphere, politics and COVID.

USC and Clemson are specifically mentioned.

Original article behind paywall on WSJ:

Good overall summary from another source:

"According to the Wall Street Journal, the number of Northerners attending Southern public schools has ballooned to 84 percent over the past two decades. Between 2018 and 2022, the figure surged 30 percent. Students are drawn South, in part, because the public universities offer cheaper alternatives to Northern schools. But the exodus is also being driven by teenagers who wish to avoid the intense political polarization plaguing Ivy League campuses in New England and New York. Throughout American history, ambitious high-school seniors have tended to set their sights on Ivy League schools. Throughout American history, ambitious high-school seniors have tended to set their sights on Ivy League schools. Over the same time period, applications to Alabama have skyrocketed more than 600 percent. Applications to Harvard - which has been rocked by anti-Semitism claims in the wake of the October 7 attacks and Israel's bombing of Gaza - have only increased by 200 percent over the same period."

"Southern schools charged students from other states a median $29,000 in tuition and fees, the least of top public colleges in any region,' the Journal noted. Mitch Savalli originally hoped to attend Tufts, where out-of-pocket costs amount to roughly $80,000. At Georgia Tech, the financial burden is half of that."

"Covid accelerated the trend, with closures and mask mandates dragging on for far longer at Ivy League colleges than their southern counterparts. Mitch Savalli, a freshman at Georgia Tech from Long Island, told the Wall Street Journal that he was drawn to the school after witnessing his older brother's difficult experience at a college in Upstate New York. Mitch's older brother attended the school during the pandemic. He was subjected to routine lockdowns at the college after he had been exposed to Covid. There were also mask requirements, social-distancing rules, and online classes that he attended in his dorm room. During this time, the Savalli brothers watched college football games that showed students across the South cheering on their teams in person. You had students home in their basement in Connecticut looking at their phone seeing most of the Northeast closed down and not much happening,' Rick Clark, executive director of strategic student access at Georgia Tech, told WSJ. 'At the same time they are seeing sororities at Alabama and football games in Georgia and Florida. Life is happening,' he continued.

"Fascinatingly, many parents who come to visit their children at southern colleges end up moving there themselves, a practice known as trailing. They're attracted by the good weather, friendly vibes and cheaper property - as well as proximity to their loved ones."

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The southern schools love it. They get double the tuition for out of state kids compared to in state kids.

The final part is what troubles me: trailing. The Yankees have a tendency to migrate away from the bad policies of their home states and come to southern states, but then they set about trying to make the southern states be like the states they ran away from.

ThinnyJ

Sep 16, 2023
I don't doubt any of this one bit.... At our hospital, at least a quarter of the patients (if not a third) are from up north or out west.

I tell them that we don't mind them coming, because I don't understand why anyone would want to live anywhere else.... But if I check their voting records, I better not find a "D" on there anywhere. (Tongue in cheek, of course.... Kinda....)

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I would hope the amount of state funds these colleges receive is directly tied to how many instate students they enroll.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I would hope the amount of state funds these colleges receive is directly tied to how many instate students they enroll.

I can see the financial allure of gouging the out-of-state students, but yes, in-state students are absolutely priority #1.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I can see the financial allure of gouging the out-of-state students, but yes, in-state students are absolutely priority #1.

They should be.

But I vaguely recall an article from a couple years ago about how the in state students were getting less and less spots.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
The final part is what troubles me: trailing. The Yankees have a tendency to migrate away from the bad policies of their home states and come to southern states, but then they set about trying to make the southern states be like the states they ran away from.
Anecdotal, but where I live, I have ran into 3 people over the last 4 or 5 months that moved here from Connecticut and NJ. 2 of them mentioned how much they loved it, but just don't agree with the politics... I told one of them, maybe there's a reason it's a nice place you love and not just because we have a coast line.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Anecdotal, but where I live, I have ran into 3 people over the last 4 or 5 months that moved here from Connecticut and NJ. 2 of them mentioned how much they loved it, but just don't agree with the politics... I told one of them, maybe there's a reason it's a nice place you love and not just because we have a coast line.

There are many such anecdotal experiences.

Reactions: Lurker123

b-flag

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
Too bad t
Too bad they have the audacity to have their own opinions about how to live their lives.
We should institute a loyalty oath & tax.
Make them wear clothes with a "y" symbol

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Too bad t
Too bad they have the audacity to have their own opinions about how to live their lives.
We should institute a loyalty oath & tax.
Make them wear clothes with a "y" symbol

You, unsurprisingly, miss the point entirely. The point is: People leave northern states, in large part because of cost of living and taxes, which are a byproduct of those states' polices. But those people move to southern states with lower costs of living and lower taxes and want to make them like the states they just left, forgetting that those are the reasons they left that state in the first place.

Reactions: 1vagamecock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
You, unsurprisingly, miss the point entirely. The point is: People leave northern states, in large part because of cost of living and taxes, which are a byproduct of those states' polices. But those people move to southern states with lower costs of living and lower taxes and want to make them like the states they just left, forgetting that those are the reasons they left that state in the first place.

Any missing of the point was intentional in this case.

b-flag

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022
when i was in carolina the number of jersey boys was astounding
this is ancient history
try not to worry if they do not concur with the so called small government small taxes line
the local goobers want to criminalize abortion in case of rape
and the low spending leads to destroyed infrastructure from this storm that our widdle state was ill prepared for
we got lousy sc government, please do not put lipstick on the hog

Reactions: winloseortie

Evilchicken

Mar 25, 2022
This has been happening for years. When I attended USC from 93-97, there were tons of students from NY, NJ, Mass, and Conn. The Jersey chicks were hot!

Reactions: Lurker123

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
this is ancient history
try not to worry if they do not concur with the so called small government small taxes line
and the low spending leads to destroyed infrastructure from this storm that our widdle state was ill prepared for

At this point I can only assume you are intentionally missing the point of the post.

LonghornsGamecocks

Feb 24, 2024
I think people should be free and welcome to voice their opinions anywhere they choose to live, spend their money, and pay taxes.

Cost of living and other ways of life aren't just about politics. It's a complicated multigenerational equation of culture, economics, population density, population growth, politics, and more. I would argue cost of living has the most to do with firstly economic prosperity and secondly local and state tax burden. There's a level of tax burden that generates prosperity (education, infrastructure, public safety, public health) before getting to value destroying tax burden.

Anyways, it's complicated. And I don't think someone sacrifices their voice just because they relocate.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think people should be free and welcome to voice their opinions anywhere they choose to live, spend their money, and pay taxes.

Cost of living and other ways of life aren't just about politics. It's a complicated multigenerational equation of culture, economics, population density, population growth, politics, and more. I would argue cost of living has the most to do with firstly economic prosperity and secondly local and state tax burden. There's a level of tax burden that generates prosperity (education, infrastructure, public safety, public health) before getting to value destroying tax burden.

Anyways, it's complicated. And I don't think someone sacrifices their voice just because they relocate.

lol...again, missing the point. Nobody said anything stifling anyone's freedom of speech.

The only point is the absurdity of fleeing a place with a high cost of living and high taxes for a place with lower cost of living and lower taxes and then trying to turn the new place into the place you just left b/c you didn't like it.

It's not complicated at all. If you like lower cost of living and lower taxes, then live with the policies in place that result in lower cost of living and lower taxes. If you like the policies that result in higher cost of living and higher taxes, then just stay where you are.

LonghornsGamecocks

Feb 24, 2024
lol...again, missing the point. Nobody said anything stifling anyone's freedom of speech.

The only point is the absurdity of fleeing a place with a high cost of living and high taxes for a place with lower cost of living and lower taxes and then trying to turn the new place into the place you just left b/c you didn't like it.

It's not complicated at all. If you like lower cost of living and lower taxes, then live with the policies in place that result in lower cost of living and lower taxes. If you like the policies that result in higher cost of living and higher taxes, then just stay where you are.
Fair on freedom of speech. I read ThinnyJ's comment and it probably over-colored my read of the whole thread.

Agree to disagree on whether cost of living is simply correlated to policy/tax. I think it's much more complicated than that, but I see the point you're making.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
this is ancient history
Living in another state is an option if these things bother you

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
this is ancient history
Don't try to deceive everyone (including yourself) you want unlimited Abortion at any time, and the size of Government (see NC) does nothing to stop storms.

b-flag

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Jan 21, 2022

The seat belt sign is off. Peeps r invited to roam where they wish. Not withstanding the observations of a devotee of a point of view that laughs at being prepared for disastrous climate change & doesn't prepare leaving citizens dead.
Viva low spending then begging those mean blue states
Routine drivel

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login