OT: Your Biggest POS Car

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Heading into 9th grade, I was eager for my first truck. I loved the old 69-72 Chevys and late 70's F150s but without a pot to piss in, $3k was $30k to me. Thus I began my quest to convince my Daddy that a classic truck was in our best interest. Every old truck I saw for sale, I tried to get him to look at. We were very interested in an awesome, blue 1977 F150 until the hood was popped and he saw a monster 460 V8 and said nope, a good call for a noob driver. As I continuously pitched my responsibility case in vain, I still had hope when Mom heard of an older man in town who had passed away and had a truck the family was looking to sell (which turned out to be our family's used car buying MO). My bro and I drove by one afternoon and sadly saw it was a crap 12 yo pawpaw truck: 1983 Ranger LWB auto 2.3L 4 banger 79HP @3800 RPM (uh, new) but $700!! We decided I shouldn't mention it to Daddy or it would be mine ASAP based on price alone. However, I did tell my buddy Jon-Jon.

Later at our big Christmas get-together, Jon-Jon asks me loudly if we ever checked out that cheap old truck in town from that dead guy, as I closed my eyes and hoped my Daddy didn't hear. His spidey sense went off, as the "cheap", "old", and "dead guy" talk intrigued him waaaay beyond me playing it off. It was too late. The truck was mine.

View attachment 23696

(Same model, just add 2 white-letter tires and more rust)

Bonus: found out it could backfire like a cannon and shoot a 3 ft flame out the tailpipe when flooring it then immediately idle, like an unlucky blue hair with M club alumni sticker found out on the way back from a Sardis fishing trip with 2 other redneck buddies. I stood on it to pass and waited until the exhaust was right at her door and let off. The 12 gauge fireball reverb was MUCH louder than usual off her E class window. I saw her Mercedes swerve, then speed up to give 3 teenage boys the finger of disgust as I tried to keep it in the road, as we all laughed with tears in our eyes. Probably red-lined that hearing aid. Sorry lady, wherever you are.

I'd watch a 4 part Netflix on this. We all want to know more about Jon-Jon.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
1970 VW Bus like this one.

View attachment 23697

In the rear seat were two Radio Shack home style speakers being held in with the seat belts. Had a Pioneer SuperTuner FM with cassette player, a 60 watt Pioneer graphic equalizer
and power booster. Slapped some headers on it, 2 barrel carb, better ignition and it was a rolling party mobile. Learned a whole lot about automotive mechanics owning this. "The complete idiots Guide To Volkswagen Repair" is one of the best books ever written. Had this when Uncle Sam saw fit to station my 19 year old *** in Panama City, Fl. Man that was some rough duty.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
88 Acura Legend with a sun roof and stopped up drain tubes. Would dump a bucket of water on you backing up; scalding hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. Ruined many booty calls.

View attachment 23698

Last edited:

FlyMaroon

Oct 29, 2012
Not unique for backwoods MS but I've been blessed with lifelong friends that got me into and out of more trouble than a normal teenager probably should and he was one of the best, but guess who saved up and got a hunter green '72 C10 for his HS ride? That dude, while I drove a $700 truck that he single-handedly saddled me with.

Everybody needs a Jon-Jon.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
No, Pontotoc county. There was a group of 5 or 6 of us with lowered trucks that would get lined up and creep around Pontotoc on the weekends, see how slow we could go and how many cars we could get lined up behind us. Total ******* teenagers.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
View attachment 23699

1988 Ford Taurus wagon.
It was a bad idea for me to have this- too much room to pile in friends and 17 around.

It went thru 3 alternators in the 4 years we had it. And I found out it will still drive with the keys pulled out because a friend was messing around and knocked the keys out of the ignition.
It got maybe 15mpg and the front passenger seat broke so a milk carton in back held it up.

It was the style where a rear facing well seat existed in the way back for 2 unloved small children.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I think I had it at MSU in 1980. My parents got it for me to have transportation for my sophmore year. It died on a trip to Memphis in Southaven on I55. Entire engine block warped.

Ford Cruising Wagon

View attachment 23700

I went to that from this. My 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner w/383. My sister totaled it during my freshman year.:

View attachment 23701

Last edited:

Ingomardawg

Oct 1, 2018
49 Studebaker Coupe...there’s a reason they aren’t made any longer. It was 7 years old when I got it in HS (turn 80 next month)

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
93 S-10 Blazer LT. I’m convinced it was built with everything that didn’t pass quality control at GM. Replaced: starter, flywheel, fuel pump, 2- heater cores, flasher, alternator. Had to 3m glue the center caps on the rim to keep them on and every time I vacuumed it out I found another screw or bolt that I didn’t know where it went. All this happened with less than 60k.

had a 95 no better that a 93...

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
My wife was driving a 2003-4 volvo s40 when we met and until after we got married. When she finally got rid of it the dealer told her "I'm going to give you $750 for this car and that's $1,000 more than I should."

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Figured some of you have had some real pieces of **** too. Let's hear about it and select a winner.

In high school I had a little S-10 blazer that was totaled when an old deaf man ran a red light. He didn't have a license and was driving his sister's car so it took months to get the insurance payout of 3-4k. This is 1996 or so. Well my father took me to an auction and I bought this bad boy for $650. It had been seized or something and I was the only bidder. The best part about it was the "s" hade fallen of the name plate. I present to you... "The Lemon." A 1991 Pontiac Lemans:

View attachment 23668

ETA. The Lemans was actually a Daewoo badged over by Pontiac. And please check out these specs... Some of you have lawnmowers with more HP.

View attachment 23675

My first car was a VW Rabbit with gas motor that only had 76 hp. It also only weighed 1800 lbs. With enough highway, it would get to about 115 mph. It was somehow a POS and a great car and a lot of fun.

View attachment 23702

Fun Fact: The one and only bull I ever tried to ride in an actual rodeo weighed more than my car with me in it.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
View attachment 23703

I got through 3 yrs of hs and 3 yrs of college in one of these. On my way to Hinds one morning, just outside of Edwards, I hear something drop out from underneath. Look in my review mirror and see 3 parts of the engine skipping down the highway behind me. Engine light comes on but I'm late for an exam and not about to stop....17 it right? Turns out it was the timing belt/chain. We towed it back to Vicksburg the next day and my grandpa put a new one on. That POS ran another year and a half and had 113K miles on it when I traded it in on a new '90 VW Fox.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
A 1993 Dodge Intrepid. Not the first car I ever owned but definitely the worst!

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I had the predecessor, the 1980 Mazda GLC. one liter engine.

This is what I had. Went alot of places 4WD couldn't go. I put a system in it. Saved up for a stereo, my buddy gave me a 12" woofer, we put it in a 5 gal bucket, hooked an eq up, and had a homemade bazooka. It would get down. Had a 74 Ford Courier before that.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
had a 95 no better that a 93...

I’m the opposite. Had a 1996 S-10 Blazer after I totaled my first car (99 Honda Accord). I absolutely loved that Blazer, wish I still had it actually. Would make a heck of a deer camp truck. Only problem I had out of it was the alternator going out on me as I was doing 70 on I-20 between Bovina and Vicksburg.

I was fortunate that my grandmother purchased me a new truck when I graduated HS (2006). Got an 06 Chevy Colorado. Brand new vehicle right? Didn’t matter, that thing was the biggest piece I ever owned. When I finally traded it in in 2012, it literally sputtered and died on me when I was parking it at the dealership to pick up my new truck. Left the keys in the ignition and didn’t mention a word to them when doing the paperwork. They had already given me the trade in price and I didn’t want them to balk at it.

My current 2021 Silverado may take the cake though. Less than a year old and 25k miles, already replaced 2 sets of lifters and already had to replace the head gasket. Now my electric power steering is going out and I’m waiting on them to get the parts in to replace my entire steering column.

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
Mantachie yu say?

You had a dropped extended cab Ranger, hahaha. Are you from Mantachie? The 90's man were we stupid.

You from around here? lolz

For the record, I did not have the dropped Ranger. S10 Blazer that always has a sleeping bag in the back for reasons.

MadReb

Oct 3, 2013
I had a blue one. First car I bought. Enjoyed it, but family out-grew it.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
1980 Buick Skylark

X-Car with a transverse engine....Didn't go more than 60 days without some problem. Dropped the tranny after 18 months.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
X-Car with a transverse engine....Didn't go more than 60 days without some problem. Dropped the tranny after 18 months.

When I graduated from State my in-laws gave me a 1980 two door front wheel drive one. I drove the hell out of it.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
1962 Simca 1000 (used)...'nuff said

close second - 1965 Mustang (used like abused) big POS ( 6 cylinder)

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
1979 Chevy Monza. Was green with these ugly different color stripes at the bottom of the doors and had limo tint/Blaupunkt stereo. I blew the engine driving to Starkville my freshman year. Replaced the engine with a high performance one and blew it about 3 months later. My dad punished me by having me drive his slow *** 1980 Ford Fairmont (4 cylinder w a manual 4 speed, yes 4/no top end) until I got a replacement (Honda Accord).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login