Parson/Wright next year

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
The speed of Wright was obvious yesterday. He can excel against low to middle teams. We've proven ad nauseam that we can't out speed the big boys, especially when they know it's coming.

I hope Parson or some other quarterback with speed takes the helm next. I could see this offense being really good. If we have fast guy that throws the ball OK out ceiling will be lower.

QB with speed >>Speed that throws.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
The speed of Wright was obvious yesterday. He can excel against low to middle teams. We've proven ad nauseam that we can't out speed the big boys, especially when they know it's coming.

I hope Parson or some other quarterback with speed takes the helm next. I could see this offense being really good. If we have fast guy that throws the ball OK out ceiling will be lower.

QB with speed >>Speed that throws.
Mike Wright = John Rhys Plumlee

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hopefully he just decides to move on unless he makes a huge step up in this offense this year

Why? What’s wrong with him coming back in 2024, and us also using that year to get Parson in the Wright / Relf / freshmen year Dak role and groom them to take over as the guy in 2025?

Will had a 7.82 YPA yesterday with no turnovers….in his first game in a brand new offense. For comparison, he was at 8.13 and 8.18 against a couple of similar opponents last season (Bowling Green and ETSU)….in Year 3 of the Air Raid. So that’s a pretty smooth transition so far. I like him much better in this system because he can still make the needed throws, but we don’t put the whole offense on his shoulders like we did in the Air Raid. QB is not the problem with this offense. We still don’t have many SEC caliber WR’s or TE’s, and not much proven at RB behind Marks. Those are much bigger things to worry about.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Why? What’s wrong with him coming back in 2024, and us also using that year to get Parson in the Wright / Relf / freshmen year Dak role and groom them to take over as the guy in 2025?

Will had a 7.82 YPA yesterday with no turnovers….in his first game in a brand new offense. For comparison, he was at 8.13 and 8.18 against a couple of similar opponents last season (Bowling Green and ETSU)….in Year 3 of the Air Raid. So that’s a pretty smooth transition so far. I like him much better in this system because he can still make the needed throws, but we don’t put the whole offense on his shoulders like we did in the Air Raid. QB is not the problem with this offense. We still don’t have many SEC caliber WR’s or TE’s, and not much proven at RB behind Marks. Those are much bigger things to worry about.

Well said, although I think we'll be fine at running back.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I loved Fitz and he had a hell of a strong arm. Couldn't usually hit the side of the barn but if he did he put a hole in it. No touch on short passes either. Great competitor and punishing runner tho

Reactions: DogStuckAtUM

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I loved Fitz and he had a hell of a strong arm. Couldn't usually hit the side of the barn but if he did he put a hole in it. No touch on short passes either. Great competitor and punishing runner tho
Fitz would absolutely drill those receivers on the short crossing routes. :)

Dude was a baller though!

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Possible hot take, but Fitz was better than Will. What changed the trajectory of his career was the injury plus Moorhead. Too much to overcome.

I choose to just be generally happy with the run of quality QBs we've had over the last decade plus. All different, but Relf, Russell, Dak, Fitz, and Will has been an embarrassment of riches at that position when compared to the other 100+ years of MSU football.

Dak is obviously the pinnacle. I see no need to try to rank the others. They've all been good for MSU and often a joy to watch play.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

For us to get better we need a more dynamic qb. He does not give you that. He is dink and dunk Charlie. A qb that can hit targets but also move his legs and extend plays. Nobody is scared of Will Rogers. He's not going to beat you deep. He not gonna scramble for anything crazy. And when rushed his accuracy plummets. He also brings nothing to the run game so the defenses t's off on the back

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
For us to get better we need a more dynamic qb. He does not give you that. He is dink and dunk Charlie. A qb that can hit targets but also move his legs and extend plays. Nobody is scared of Will Rogers. He's not going to beat you deep. He not gonna scramble for anything crazy. And when rushed his accuracy plummets. He also brings nothing to the run game so the defenses t's off on the back

What does a phrase like "Nobody is scared of Will Rogers" even mean?

I can post the stats from quite a few games over the last couple of years where the opposition needed to be scared of Will Rogers , because he damn sure hurt them.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

I can post the stats from quite a few games over the last couple of years where the opposition needed to be scared of Will Rogers , because he damn sure hurt them.
The games we won last year were because we established a running game and we're getting lots of yardage. I explained it for you. Will can not run and make plays. He cannot extend plays. He's not gonna connect on deep throws. His accuracy past 20 is not great. He regular gets balls batted down at the line snd misses guys wide open because he can't see them. He can't run so everyone knows he isn't running. We aren't running the air raid anymore so we aren't throwing 5 yard passes 60 times a game.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Auburn shoulda been scared. He was on fire that second half. I understand fans want Caleb Williams or Jalen Millroe but just like last year Will is the best we got and he is good enough to win 9 or 10 games. He will get more comfortable over the next couple of games.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Stats from air raid mean nothing because his stats are padded from length in the program and the attempts.

If you want to win big and scare defense you need a dynamic qb, why do you think arnett left the air raid. He didn't think that much of it from a d coordinator position. He went with Barbay for balance and because explosive plays. Nothing about wills ability or game is explosive. It's conservative.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Auburn shoulda been scared. He was on fire that second half. I understand fans want Caleb Williams or Jalen Millroe but just like last year Will is the best we got and he is good enough to win 9 or 10 games. He will get more comfortable over the next couple of games.
Auburn has also been a ****** program for two years. They fired that cough. Freeze won't be that easy. Their offense is gonna score some points. He will have some defense too.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I watched Pittman make a run in the red zone. He beasted the Lion defense and moved the whole pile. We have other running backs to go with Woody.

Reactions: msstatelp1

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Coach Freeze will have better players than the past as long as they keep enough bail money to get his recruits to the Saturday game.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The games we won last year were because we established a running game and we're getting lots of yardage. I explained it for you. Will can not run and make plays. He cannot extend plays. He's not gonna connect on deep throws. His accuracy past 20 is not great. He regular gets balls batted down at the line snd misses guys wide open because he can't see them. He can't run so everyone knows he isn't running. We aren't running the air raid anymore so we aren't throwing 5 yard passes 60 times a game.

Screenshot_20230903-181621.png

So, the games we won were because we established a running game and were getting lots of yardage?

The running is what allowed Will to absolutely torch Memphis, Arizona, Bowling Green, Arkansas, and Texas A&M in 5 of our 9 wins last year?? The running game opened things up so much that it allowed Will to complete 3 out of every 4 throws in those games for almost 400 yards a game with 21 TDs and 2 interceptions.

It's amazing that he can complete 70% of his passes on the season while regularly getting balls batted down and missing wide open guys he can't see.

The run game and D were very important in some big wins last year, but acting like the offense is not extremely dependent on Will and very often successful because of him is willfully ignorant.

Maroon Pug

Nov 5, 2022
I think Rogers has surpassed Fitzgerald for the crown of “QB that our diehard fans are sick of even though he’s actually good”.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Hopefully he just decides to move on unless he makes a huge step up in this offense this year
Move on where ?
He’s not going pro so why wouldn’t he stick around another year unless he was just tired of football or wanted to transfer to a more pass happy offense, a quick route scheme

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
View attachment 397376

So, the games we won were because we established a running game and were getting lots of yardage?

The running is what allowed Will to absolutely torch Memphis, Arizona, Bowling Green, Arkansas, and Texas A&M in 5 of our 9 wins last year?? The running game opened things up so much that it allowed Will to complete 3 out of every 4 throws in those games for almost 400 yards a game with 21 TDs and 2 interceptions.

It's amazing that he can complete 70% of his passes on the season while regularly getting balls batted down and missing wide open guys he can't see.

The run game and D were very important in some big wins last year, but acting like the offense is not extremely dependent on Will and very often successful because of him is willfully ignorant.
WILLfully ignorant....lol. I agree 100%.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

The point you’re missing is that it doesn’t have to be one or the other. Will is, by far, the best passer we have on campus. And you have to throw the ball well to win in modern football, at any level. So, he’s going to play a lot and be the starter for as long as he chooses to be here, because no one we have is going to overtake him in the passing game this year or next year.

But now with the new offense we can throw with Will and run with other QB’s. And we don’t require either one to play very well just for us to have a chance at winning like we did in the Air Raid. If the end of last season and yesterday was any indication, we’ll also still be able to run the ball well with Will on the field, too. So if we get Wright a package with some throws he can hit consistently….we’ll have a pretty solid offense that isn’t predictable no matter who is on the field.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Stats from air raid mean nothing because his stats are padded from length in the program and the attempts.

If you want to win big and scare defense you need a dynamic qb, why do you think arnett left the air raid. He didn't think that much of it from a d coordinator position. He went with Barbay for balance and because explosive plays. Nothing about wills ability or game is explosive. It's conservative.

Yet Arnett and Barbay still chose the exact same starting QB for this completely new offense for “balance and explosive plays”. What does that tell you?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Yards after the catch by the receivers are what may have hurt teams, but it wasn't him hitting open receivers down field

• Sad

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yards after the catch by the receivers are what may have hurt teams, but it wasn't him hitting open receivers down field

Does throwing the ball accurately and properly leading receivers contribute to YAC?

I don't think it's simply the talent at WR (which NFL rosters say we really haven't had in spades in a long time) that led to all that YAC.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The point you’re missing is that it doesn’t have to be one or the other. Will is, by far, the best passer we have on campus. And you have to throw the ball well to win in modern football, at any level. So, he’s going to play a lot and be the starter for as long as he chooses to be here, because no one we have is going to overtake him in the passing game this year or next year.

But now with the new offense we can throw with Will and run with other QB’s. And we don’t require either one to play very well just for us to have a chance at winning like we did in the Air Raid. If the end of last season and yesterday was any indication, we’ll also still be able to run the ball well with Will on the field, too. So if we get Wright a package with some throws he can hit consistently….we’ll have a pretty solid offense that isn’t predictable no matter who is on the field.
We ran the ball better with will off the field or not at qb. Swapping qbs is also a gimmick and a give away we ain't throwing it if Mike is in if will is in, he's not running it or not a threat.
Parson is here. We might get another Thea after next year also.
Defenses will t off with each qb being one dimensional.
Yet Arnett and Barbay still chose the exact same starting QB for this completely new offense for “balance and explosive plays”. What does that tell you?
it tells me they did a ****** job recruiting after taking a while to get an OC. And that's all we got.

• Sad

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
You can't reason with these trolls. Confronted with facts they just move the goalposts. I can think of nine teams last year who thought Will was a pretty good QB, so piss off!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You're wasting your breath if you are trying to defend the kid rewriting all the MSU passing records. If we don't have the next Patrick Mahomes on the field, he must be on our bench since we can get the top QB recruits. You've got a large part of fans that will never accept that we have a quarterback who does not sling the ball all over the field and run like Justin Fields or is the hot top NFL prospect.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Does throwing the ball accurately and properly leading receivers contribute to YAC?

I don't think it's simply the talent at WR (which NFL rosters say we really haven't had in spades in a long time) that led to all that YAC.

What you say is true, but we also haven’t had hardly any YAC in 3+ years now, for the reasons in your 2nd paragraph. Will’s career AYA is 6.5, with a career yards per completion of 9.25. That means his receivers aren’t helping him much at all.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
What you say is true, but we also haven’t had hardly any YAC in 3+ years now, for the reasons in your 2nd paragraph. Will’s career AYA is 6.5, with a career yards per completion of 9.25. That means his receivers aren’t helping him much at all.

I honestly didn't know our historical YAC numbers vs a typical D1 team. Just assumed they must be decent since Peeper referenced them.

My eyes tell me that Will has often put the ball in good spots when getting it to backs and receivers so they can keep their momentum going upfield. We've had plenty of QBs who were let's say "challenged" at that skill.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

You are setting the bar about as low as you can if are satisfied w/ a QB that can throw quick slants or curls 8yds down the field and only if he's not under pressure. How many NFL teams do you think are interested in receivers that catch those dink and dunks? Dak is the only real dual threat QB we've had in years. Fitz, Relf, Connor, Henig, Costello, Tommy Stevens, none could do both well and neither can Will. He limits us so much when he can't throw it down field and can't run it either. Schrader is as close as we've had to a dual threat. Sadly we don't have one now on the roster that we've seen yet either

• Sad
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login