Paul Finebaum: Conference realignment It's North Carolina not FSU and Clemson

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I don't disagree with him. I think there's a strong argument that UNC adds more value to the conference than either of the other schools when you consider that it expands the conference footprint to include a new state (9th most populous in the country) with a sports program that is a national brand. While they don't bring the football resume of the other two, they are probably top 3 in basketball.

And, unlike the other two, UNC would be an attractive candidate _right now_ for the Big Ten as well. I think that would offer some additional incentive to bring them into the SEC as a defensive play. It would lock down the flagship university of a southern state before the Big Ten can intrude.

Last edited:

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
“I think there’s a better chance you would see more of an appetite for North Carolina and Virginia in the SEC,” Low said Thursday on The Paul Finebaum Show. “‘Wait a minute. Clemson, Florida State, both football-centric schools.’

“There’s other factors at play here. New footprints. You get the state of North Carolina, the state of Virginia. Both academically elite schools. You have the basketball factor. You get a little bit of the Charlotte TV market, maybe a little bit of the (Washington) D.C. market.”

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022
UNC in the SEC would be interesting. It’d be pretty funny to see them get beat up in basketball. Their fans are too arrogant to ever admit that could happen, but the top 5 or 6 SEC teams could all take the tar heels behind the woodshed. I also don’t care how good Mack Brown is at recruiting, their football team would decline and we would all appreciate it. Baseball would be a good fit and thrive though.

At the end of the day though, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth thinking about them in the conference. No thanks! I’d take NC State over them any day.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
UNC in the SEC would be interesting. It’d be pretty funny to see them get beat up in basketball. Their fans are too arrogant to ever admit that could happen, but the top 5 or 6 SEC teams could all take the tar heels behind the woodshed. I also don’t care how good Mack Brown is at recruiting, their football team would decline and we would all appreciate it. Baseball would be a good fit and thrive though.

At the end of the day though, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth thinking about them in the conference. No thanks! I’d take NC State over them any day.
They are linked so you likely have to take the later to get the first.

Captain_Obvious

Feb 18, 2022
They are linked so you likely have to take the later to get the first.
Well I’m very happy with neither. Also, no one in any of the chatter has said a conference has to take NC State to get UNC. They might both be public schools but they are not “linked”. No more than Carolina and clemson are.

gamecocks94

Jan 18, 2022
If UNC comes in, UVA seems like the logical one to join them.
I get the appeal of UN-Carolina coming to the SEC, but I don't get the appeal of Virginia. They're the middle of the pack (at best) in the ACC and they're just not an exciting team to watch. If the SEC were to poach a VA team, I much prefer Tech any day of the week.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Well I’m very happy with neither. Also, no one in any of the chatter has said a conference has to take NC State to get UNC. They might both be public schools but they are not “linked”. No more than Carolina and clemson are.

Actually the board of governors passed a law stating they have final say in conference realignment. They have been quoted numerous times as either being against UNC move because of the buisness with the acc in state or that they will have to go together. So yea they are joined.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
Actually the board of governors passed a law stating they have final say in conference realignment. They have been quoted numerous times as either being against UNC move because of the buisness with the acc in state or that they will have to go together. So yea they are joined.
Since when did laws still matter?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
That can easily be amended as long as NC State has a home conference affiliation, which they would, in either the ACC or the Big 12. I don't see politicians turning down more money coming into their state. That would be unpolitical.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
L
While I hear that was done just this past January in response to the rumors so….
That can easily be amended as long as NC State has a home conference affiliation, which they would, in either the ACC or the Big 12. I don't see politicians turning down more money coming into their state. That would be unpolitical.
You do realize that if the acc fails the state of NC also loses money as well correct?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
L
While I hear that was done just this past January in response to the rumors so….
You do realize that if the acc fails the state of NC also loses money as well correct?
Would losing UNC cause the ACC to fail or simply be down one member? Regardless, the Big 12 could always be an option, to the other members.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I get the appeal of UN-Carolina coming to the SEC, but I don't get the appeal of Virginia. They're the middle of the pack (at best) in the ACC and they're just not an exciting team to watch. If the SEC were to poach a VA team, I much prefer Tech any day of the week.
Superficial preference won't be considered. The University of Virginia is the flagship university of the 12th largest state in the Union, a state of almost nine million people and which abuts D.C., comprising much of the D.C. metropolitan area. It is also an AAU institution. It has more to commend it than Va. Tech, although I have nothing against Va. Tech, which is a good second-tier school in a pretty location.

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Superficial preference won't be considered. The University of Virginia is the flagship university of the 12th largest state in the Union, a state of almost nine million people and which abuts D.C., comprising much of the D.C. metropolitan area. It is also an AAU institution. It has more to commend it than Va. Tech, although I have nothing against Va. Tech, which is a good second-tier school in a pretty location.
Spot on there, my friend. I have nothing against VT and nothing special for UVA. I would add that it seems to me that the SEC has a preference for schools that are the "flagship anchor" of the state coming into the SEC.

Reactions: KingWard

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Spot on there, my friend. I have nothing against VT and nothing special for UVA. I would add that it seems to me that the SEC has a preference for schools that are the "flagship anchor" of the state coming into the SEC.
For sure, if they possibly can get them.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
I would disagree. UVA is, first of all, an academic institution and not "flagship" with regards to athletics. VT dominates in that regard.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Thought they talked about it but wisely chose not to. That action would be a federal antitrust violation that would quickly be struck down by a federal court.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I said a long time ago UNC and UVa to the B1G. If Clemson and FSU get out it will be to the Big 12. That leaves the ACC in a Big East situation.
The Big 12 is looking like FSU and Clemson's only option. It kind of reminds me when we joined the old Metro Conference.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Why? Sankey is going to look for the best matchups available. And if you look at the latest individual schools revenues available (2023), Clemson is 13th and FSU is even higher. They bring in money despite the ACC contract.
All the reason more why no SEC team will take a pay cut to bring in Clemson and FSU.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
SEC will take them….they are good matchups for TV. Anything the commissioners are saying publicly now is simply lip service to avoid liability issues for tampering.
EXACTLY.
Just wait till FSU and Clemson settle the legalities and are hitchhiking down the road. Then we'll see how many conference vehicles pull over to pick them up