Paul Finebaum: Conference realignment It's North Carolina not FSU and Clemson

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
EXACTLY.
Just wait till FSU and Clemson settle the legalities and are hitchhiking down the road. Then we'll see how many conference vehicles pull over to pick them up
Then ESPN better open their wallets because I doubt any SEC school will take a pay cut to bring in FSU and Clemson.. And the last I saw, Disney still owns ESPN. And Disney's stock is down 52% in the past 3 1/2 years while the overall market is up 45%.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Then ESPN better open their wallets because I doubt any SEC school will take a pay cut to bring in FSU and Clemson.. And the last I saw, Disney still owns ESPN. And Disney's stock is down 52% in the past 3 1/2 years while the overall market is up 45%.
In light that ESPN just recently signed a 7.8 BILLION deal to broadcast CFP playoffs through 2031, the possibility of not having the finances to increase payouts for conference broadcasting rights does not appear to be a serious obstacle.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
In light that ESPN just recently signed a 7.8 BILLION deal to broadcast CFP playoffs through 2031, the possibility of not having the finances to increase payouts for conference broadcasting rights does not appear to be a serious obstacle.
Then they better open their wallets because I doubt any school will take a pay cut. And as 18 stated, they would be paying more to the SEC with FSU and Clemson in that league than they do to the ACC for FSU and Clemson to be in the ACC. That's great business sense. LOL

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

That deal actually decreases the likelihood. Numerous reports have speculated that both Fox and ESPN have maxed out what they are willing to pay for college football.

Reactions: gamecock stock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Then they better open their wallets because I doubt any school will take a pay cut. And as 18 stated, they would be paying more to the SEC with FSU and Clemson in that league than they do to the ACC for FSU and Clemson to be in the ACC. That's great business sense. LOL

Yeah, it just makes zero sense when you look at it from ESPN's perspective. They have Clemson and FSU on a bargain right now. What is their incentive to pay them more just because?

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Yeah, it just makes zero sense when you look at it from ESPN's perspective. They have Clemson and FSU on a bargain right now. What is their incentive to pay them more just because?
Disney is hurting right now. I'm not sure they are going to burn unnecessary cash just for the hell of it.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Apple is already footing itself to purchase espn.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Is this still true? The most recent thing I found that even mentioned it was from last year. Admittedly, I did one quick search.
Sure thing no, but it’s still being discussed. Disney is still not convinced in offloading espn yet. So it may not even go up for sale. But they set an evaluation of 50 billion.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Sure thing no, but it’s still being discussed. Disney is still not convinced in offloading espn yet. So it may not even go up for sale. But they set an evaluation of 50 billion.
Of course it's no sure thing. Just like it's no sure thing nor sense to pay more for FSU and Clemson to keep the other SEC schools from taking a pay cut than they pay now to the ACC for FSU and Clemson.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I would just add that I would not discount Finebaum. He is connected and plugged into Birmingham. And Brett McMurphey saying FSU makes no financial sense for the SEC is what I have been hearing as well.

Last edited:

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Of course it's no sure thing. Just like it's no sure thing nor sense to pay more for FSU and Clemson to keep the other SEC schools from taking a pay cut than they pay now to the ACC for FSU and Clemson.
They won’t have the luxury you keep talking about if Clemson wins and leaves the ACC. That can’t keep paying them the same thing lol. At that point it’s lose them or move them.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
They won’t have the luxury you keep talking about if Clemson wins and leaves the ACC. That can’t keep paying them the same thing lol. At that point it’s lose them or move them.
Those who have the wallet, call the shots. A fact of life.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Those who have the wallet, call the shots. A fact of life.
If Clemson gets out of the ACC espn isn’t necessarily calling the shots you’re leaving out Fox and the B1G. Those teams are free agents at that point. ESPN only has 2 choices, pony up or let them go. I do not believe they will do the latter. They will get them in the sec and refuse to continue the ACC contract after 2027.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
If Clemson gets out of the ACC espn isn’t necessarily calling the shots you’re leaving out Fox and the B1G. Those teams are free agents at that point. ESPN only has 2 choices, pony up or let them go. I do not believe they will do the latter. They will get them in the sec and refuse to continue the ACC contract after 2027.
I'm talking about the SEC. I don't give a rip about the other conferences. Time will tell with the "If" and what might happen later. I hope you are right. It would be a huge benefit to my Gamecocks.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm talking about the SEC. I don't give a rip about the other conferences. Time will tell with the "If" and what might happen later. I hope you are right. It would be a huge benefit to my Gamecocks.

It's beneficial to us once the SEC goes to a 9th game. Having 9 SEC games plus Clemson is a huge disadvantage. Clemson being one of the 9 is massively advantageous.

Reactions: Lurker123

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
It's beneficial to us once the SEC goes to a 9th game. Having 9 SEC games plus Clemson is a huge disadvantage. Clemson being one of the 9 is massively advantageous.
Spot on. THAT AND the fact that Clemson would lose their easy path to the playoffs, which currently is a really, really BIG recruiting tool for them. Clemson coming into the SEC would be a huge benefit for us. But, I'm not sold on them being invited into the SEC for the reasons previously given.

Reactions: Lurker123

Mountain guy

Jun 14, 2023
PF has no idea who the next target for SEC expansion will be, he's just throwing out names to get some attention, and who knows maybe it happens. If it doesn't there is the fall back "this is what I was told"
I agree. I would feel more confident if someone else was saying this instead of this attention ***** is usually FOS.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login