PGA and LIV are merging

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
If they do merge, they need to cut out the players wearing shorts when playing. Leave that to the ladies who are infinitely more attractive. And stick to other PGA traditions, such as 4-day tournaments instead of 3. And a player should get a free drop from a divot.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The DP Tour(Euro Tour) is included too.

- Itll be a for profit entitiy- will the Saudi Wealth Fund own it outright?
- Will there be a split of assets and BoD seats?
- Will 'PGA Tour' really no longer exist in name?...that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.
- Will the new Tour play like the PGA or will it have 'teams' like LIV?

Seems like a rocky merger since the two were fundamentally different setups.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If they do merge, they need to cut out the players wearing shorts when playing. Leave that to the ladies who are infinitely more attractive. And stick to other PGA traditions, such as 4-day tournaments instead of 3. And a player should get a free drop from a divot.
Ha, you start out crying over how tradition is gone and shaking your fist at a meaningless change, and then end with a bomb that is a fundamental change to tradition.
Should they be able to move a stick too if its in their way? Play the ball where it 17ing lies.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Already read that PGA will start implementing some form of new team format.

Will there be a new outcry ab Saudi money now? ***
LIV obviously was putting a lot of pressure on the PGA. Should be interesting to see what unfolds.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

I for one am very open to some change. Shorts, go for it. I refuse to play golf in anything but shorts myself. I don't want to hear about tradition and respect, slacks and a polo are a big stretch from the shirts, tied, and sweaters worn by Jones and Hagen.

Majors should be 4 day tournaments. Regular tour events are fine with 3 days. I had to work at the Byron Nelson for several years and 4 rounds is too much for that kinda tournament. Everyone is best down and lots of good players took the week off to rest after Memorial. 3 days makes it more likely to have big names show up.

And the divot issue is up to the USGA. I keep the ball in the rough to avoid this problem."

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
A popular opinion, but everyone who says this simply doesn't understand golf.
Put me down for a player being able to move out of a divot in the middle of the fairway. I have never like a player getting punished for hitting a good shot. Would be easy to allow them to move it backwards, no closer to the hole, and not have to hit off a lye that otherwise would have been on plush fairway. This is no different than when they allow " lift clean and place" when a course is wet.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The PGA crumbled and all the golfers who pointed fingers and mocked the golfers who went with the LIV are going to be giving a love fest to it.

Reactions: Maroon13

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Put me down for a player being able to move out of a divot in the middle of the fairway. I have never like a player getting punished for hitting a good shot. Would be easy to allow them to move it backwards, no closer to the hole, and not have to hit off a lye that otherwise would have been on plush fairway. This is no different than when they allow " lift clean and place" when a course is wet.
1. If everyone fills their divots it's a non issue.**
2. Define a divot. Is it where I just hit my 56° and ripped up a doormat sized divot or where someone picked a ball clean with a driver off the carpet 2 weeks ago and the grass is ruffled. Fools will be out there taking drops everywhere.

Golf doesn't guarantee us perfect lies. Hitting out of divots is way easier than having a ball three inches below my feet in the fairway.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Not a fan of this. If LIV wants to keep those stupid team names and 3 days, no cut, shotgun starts, let them. Dont bleed that into PGA TOUR tourney golf.

Reactions: RocketDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The PGA crumbled and all the golfers who pointed fingers and mocked the golfers who went with the LIV are going to be giving a love fest to it.

Just goes to show that every man has his price…

million dollar man cash GIF

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
The DP Tour(Euro Tour) is included too.

- Itll be a for profit entitiy- will the Saudi Wealth Fund own it outright?
- Will there be a split of assets and BoD seats?
- Will 'PGA Tour' really no longer exist in name?...that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.
- Will the new Tour play like the PGA or will it have 'teams' like LIV?

Seems like a rocky merger since the two were fundamentally different setups.
Didn't the LPGA become a world-wide tour a few years ago? Might be time for men's golf to do the same.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
2. Define a divot. Is it where I just hit my 56° and ripped up a doormat sized divot or where someone picked a ball clean with a driver off the carpet 2 weeks ago and the grass is ruffled. Fools will be out there taking drops everywhere.

Golf doesn't guarantee us perfect lies. Hitting out of divots is way easier than having a ball three inches below my feet in the fairway.
I think this is the issue. You might as well legalize lift, clean, and place in the fairway. Which I think is a fine rule. Nothing wrong with taking the position that a shot in the fairway should be rewarded.

But nothing wrong with play it as it lies either. And it's a little more consistent, as there are any number of bad breaks you can get. I've played a ball "perfectly" into a dogleg on a short and narrow course and had it bounce off a sprinkler head, bounce off the cart path, and go OB. I've also pulled a wedge ridiculously badly, and had the ball land on a rock or something that made it bounce 90 degrees to the right and roll into the hole for an eagle.

If I were going to allow players to take a drop from divots, I'd want to also outlaw grooming bunkers. It's just not that hard to play out of most sand with todays equipment and leaving it ungroomed, at least for professionals, would make bunkers appropriately penal.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
A popular opinion, but everyone who says this simply doesn't understand golf.
I understand it pretty well - play it virtually every day. Hitting off a sand-filled divot is vastly different than hitting off closely mown grass. And most divots, at least during the day at a professional event, aren't filled. They're just a shallow hole in the ground. Dropping out of divots makes a lot more sense than leaving the flag stick in. Since the rule applies to every golfer, it's OK, but doesn't really make much sense. The fairway's supposed to not be filled with holes.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Here is the real change taking place: The PGA Tour has forever been a non-profit organization, and is now joining a for profit entity. This is a major move. My understanding so far is the PGA Tour itself will remain non profit, but will be part of a for profit group. This creates all new opportunities without taking the PR hit of reorganizing to for profit.

Remains to be seen how everything shakes out. I think Phil will remain a wealthy man who no one likes.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

I'm talking professional tournament golf. Everyday golfers most likely don't follow rules to the letter anyway, and doing so can be rationalized to some extent because the everyday golf course isn't maintained like the herculean effort the staff goes to to prep for a PGA event. Have you ever had anyone squeezing a wet green in front of you? Do you have spotters to find your ball in the rough? I'm ok with playing out of divots, but it's the craziest rule in golf. Rules and equipment have changed so much over the years that it's not meaningful to compare today's pros to those of many years ago.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I for one am very open to some change. Shorts, go for it. I refuse to play golf in anything but shorts myself. I don't want to hear about tradition and respect, slacks and a polo are a big stretch from the shirts, tied, and sweaters worn by Jones and Hagen.

Majors should be 4 day tournaments. Regular tour events are fine with 3 days. I had to work at the Byron Nelson for several years and 4 rounds is too much for that kinda tournament. Everyone is best down and lots of good players took the week off to rest after Memorial. 3 days makes it more likely to have big names show up.

And the divot issue is up to the USGA. I keep the ball in the rough to avoid this problem."
I wear shorts in the summer as well, but I'm not a professional who needs to look like a professional. Besides, their tour rotates, starting off in the South or Hawaii where temps are reasonable in the winter, and moving to more northern and temperate climates in the summer where the weather is a lot better. You don't see professional tournaments in Mississippi or Alabama in July, but for the most part, that's where we play.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I understand it pretty well - play it virtually every day. Hitting off a sand-filled divot is vastly different than hitting off closely mown grass. And most divots, at least during the day at a professional event, aren't filled. They're just a shallow hole in the ground. Dropping out of divots makes a lot more sense than leaving the flag stick in. Since the rule applies to every golfer, it's OK, but doesn't really make much sense. The fairway's supposed to not be filled with holes.
I maintain that you enjoy golf, but don't understand it. Golf does not necessarily reward well struck shots, nor does it always penalize bad shots. It is the rub of the green. You get good breaks and bad breaks no matter how well you are playing.

Golf is a humbling game, about overcoming obstacles and taking advantage of opportunities. Sometimes a well struck shots hits a rake and flops into a bunker. Sometimes a poorly struck shot hits a rake (or a tree, a rock, or a cartpath) and winds up in perfect position. I understand that divots are left by other players and are not part of the course's design, but sometimes they help you while usually they hurt you. Just play the course as you find it.

BTW, I have no problem with players agreeing among themselves to allow drops out of a divot. I think you are cheating yourselves, but have fun if that's what you prefer. I just don't want to see a rule implemented for it. It robs Golf of some of its nature.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm talking professional tournament golf. Everyday golfers most likely don't follow rules to the letter anyway, and doing so can be rationalized to some extent because the everyday golf course isn't maintained like the herculean effort the staff goes to to prep for a PGA event. Have you ever had anyone squeezing a wet green in front of you? Do you have spotters to find your ball in the rough? I'm ok with playing out of divots, but it's the craziest rule in golf. Rules and equipment have changed so much over the years that it's not meaningful to compare today's pros to those of many years ago.
I'm talking about pro tournaments too. They already stand out there for 10 minutes with rules officials trying to get relief from all kinds of crap. If you allow drops from divots, every time it will take a rules official to determine if it is a divot. How old is it? How deep is it? Is it still a divot or has it been repaired and regrown. Its way too ambiguous.

Most importantly, for pros it's just not a big deal. They'll knock it stiff from a divot all day long.

Divot Article

For amateurs, just take relief. We get to make our own rules as long as everyone playing that day agrees to it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I maintain that you enjoy golf, but don't understand it. Golf does not necessarily reward well struck shots, nor does it always penalize bad shots. It is the rub of the green. You get good breaks and bad breaks no matter how well you are playing.

Golf is a humbling game, about overcoming obstacles and taking advantage of opportunities. Sometimes a well struck shots hits a rake and flops into a bunker. Sometimes a poorly struck shot hits a rake (or a tree, a rock, or a cartpath) and winds up in perfect position. I understand that divots are left by other players and are not part of the course's design, but sometimes they help you while usually they hurt you. Just play the course as you find it.

BTW, I have no problem with players agreeing among themselves to allow drops out of a divot. I think you are cheating yourselves, but have fun if that's what you prefer. I just don't want to see a rule implemented for it. It robs Golf of some of its nature.
Pinch poke you owe me a coke. I legit deleted "rub of the green" from my post because it's a little snooty.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Do the Saudi's have part ownership in any MLB or NFL teams?
Without looking, I have no idea. But MLB and NFL sponsors include businesses who operate in SA or rely on Saudi money

Funny how no one ever describes Uber as Saudi controlled.

Feb 25, 2018
Just the latest shoe to drop in league realignment. Soon we'll have just one Power league of the haves while the have nots will just be feeder leagues. California politics will ruin the West Coast Swing by implementing revenue sharing with the women's league.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Other rules they need to adopt:
- Fans who yell "get in the hole" or anything like that on a tee shot are banned from events for life
- 1 mulligan per round
- Rattlesnakes in the sand traps

-Allow the fans/patrons whatever they're called to act like fans and make noise. If a college kid can hit a 90+ mph pitch with 15K screaming and 2 whistlers surely a professional shouldn't need complete silence to hit a stationary ball on a tee.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login