PGA and LIV are merging

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Not a fan
That moral high ground the pga commissioner was standing on just got flooded with lots of Saudi money

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Brandel Chamblee's v@gina* is all itchy.

* Jesus H Christ, why is "v a g i n a" a prohibited word here? It's a 17n anatomical description.
You have no idea how many times I’ve been offended by a v a g I n a!

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
chicken GIF by floatingwoo

willi13

Sep 24, 2003
Worst part of this deal is that it legitimizes and probably adds a lot of coin in the pockets of that prick Greg Norman

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Worst part of this deal is that it legitimizes and probably adds a lot of coin in the pockets of that prick Greg Norman
I think Norman is one of the losers of the day. He served his purpose giving LIV some legitimacy, now no one needs him, plus he burned his few remaining bridges.

He gets to say, "I told you so", but this probably hurt him worse than a Larry Mize chip in.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
I think Norman is one of the losers of the day. He served his purpose giving LIV some legitimacy, now no one needs him, plus he burned his few remaining bridges.

He gets to say, "I told you so", but this probably hurt him worse than a Larry Mize chip in.
Norman got azzed out in this deal no doubt! If you watch the interview that was replayed from this morning on CNBC the guy from PIF didn't even tell Norman until right before they went on air with Monahan.

Reactions: FormerBully

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
They need
I for one am very open to some change. Shorts, go for it. I refuse to play golf in anything but shorts myself. I don't want to hear about tradition and respect, slacks and a polo are a big stretch from the shirts, tied, and sweaters worn by Jones and Hagen.

Majors should be 4 day tournaments. Regular tour events are fine with 3 days. I had to work at the Byron Nelson for several years and 4 rounds is too much for that kinda tournament. Everyone is best down and lots of good players took the week off to rest after Memorial. 3 days makes it more likely to have big names show up.

And the divot issue is up to the USGA. I keep the ball in the rough to avoid this problem."
They need to take over the lpga too and make some major changes. First, thing I'd do is put Paige Spiranac on the main tour and make it mandatory for her to wear a bikini. IMG_5109.jpeg

Spotdawg

Feb 15, 2007
I love how they are framing this story. There was no merger, the Saudis outright bought the whole damn PGA and are using the PGA to cleanse the transaction. It's almost like watching the Sinaloa Cartel "merging" with Walgreens to clean up the reputation and the money...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Norman got azzed out in this deal no doubt! If you watch the interview that was replayed from this morning on CNBC the guy from PIF didn't even tell Norman until right before they went on air with Monahan.

I think Norman will be a winner but that can depend on his contract with the PIF.

I would not be surprised if he gets a substantial finder’s fee for facilitating the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: aTotal360

Ddog

May 24, 2023
I think change the rule to allow fans to holler anytime they choose. Fans scream their heads off at a basketball player at the free throw line or a kicker about to attempt a field goal. Let all the pansied tailed golfers who cannot concentrate with excessive noise get a real job. 😳

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I think Norman will be a winner but that can depend on his contract with the PIF.

I would not be surprised if he gets a substantial finder’s fee for facilitating the process.
Probably so and Jay Monahan will get a nice check too. Both riding off together in the sunset.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I want to see all the pearl-clutchers to act the same way toward the EPL. It's essentially run by the same money.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022

He may get some type of golden parachute, but he is done in the world of professional golf.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I want to see all the pearl-clutchers to act the same way toward the EPL. It's essentially run by the same money.
This is the thing: I always thought these complaints about Saudi money were just a talking point from the PGA to throw shade at LIV and the defecting players. The European tour already has a tournament in SA, as well as other countries with shakey Human Rights records. The PGA sponsors include companies that do business in and with the Saudis.

Reactions: aTotal360

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The PGA sponsors include companies that do business in and with the Saudis.
At what point is it acceptable to criticize something without being viewed as a hypocrite for doing business/benefitting from that which you criticize?

I think that if Company A does business with Company B and B chooses to do standalone business with Company C or Country C, Company A should be able to criticize decisions/behavior of Company or Country C without being accused of hypocrisy or whatever it is you want to call it.
If you expect A to not do criticize C just because A does business with B, thats a really 17ing high bar to clear in a global economy.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He may get some type of golden parachute, but he is done in the world of professional golf.
You forget how old he is.

To be in the discussion when it comes to professional golf in his mid-late 60s (he turned 68 earlier this year), he’s a winner.

The Saudis needed an elder statesman figure with a history of being critical of the golf establishment, they got it in Greg Norman.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Doesn't the way all these players were kept in the dark about "their" tour prove what Norman and Mickelson were saying all along about the PGA Tour? This past year they just added a Players Advisory Council and promised to be more transparent. Thank you sir, may I have another!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The Chinese bought the NBA and the Saudis bought the PGA. Now, who'll open the bidding on the NFL ?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
At what point is it acceptable to criticize something without being viewed as a hypocrite for doing business/benefitting from that which you criticize?

I think that if Company A does business with Company B and B chooses to do standalone business with Company C or Country C, Company A should be able to criticize decisions/behavior of Company or Country C without being accused of hypocrisy or whatever it is you want to call it.
If you expect A to not do criticize C just because A does business with B, thats a really 17ing high bar to clear in a global economy.
I couldn't follow your hypothetical, but I wasn't calling anyone a hypocrite. I just didn't think the PGA was serious in saying the players shouldn't take money from the Saudis, and obviously it was not.

The PGA just didn't want the competition and was pulling out all the stops.

Tiger should sue them. He reportedly turned down $1 Billion to join LIV. Other players have similar complaints.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
You forget how old he is.

To be in the discussion when it comes to professional golf in his mid-late 60s (he turned 68 earlier this year), he’s a winner.

The Saudis needed an elder statesman figure with a history of being critical of the golf establishment, they got it in Greg Norman.
Perhaps, but going forward he is persona au gratin. Tiger will become the PGA's "elder statesman", and he doesn't want Norman around.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
persona au gratin.
This made me laugh.
Tiger will become the PGA's "elder statesman", and he doesn't want Norman around.
That’s not even a small deal at all.

Phil has been the US face of LIV anyway.

Norman will more likely make appearances in Europe & Australia on behalf of LIV.

And how often has Tiger traveled outside the US for golf since his accident?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I couldn't follow your hypothetical, but I wasn't calling anyone a hypocrite. I just didn't think the PGA was serious in saying the players shouldn't take money from the Saudis, and obviously it was not.

The PGA just didn't want the competition and was pulling out all the stops.

You responded in agreement to a post about recent pearl clutching due to saudi money being accepted, and added to that by pointing out that some PGA Tour sponsors do business in and with the saudis.

I took that to mean the PGA Tour is in no position to claim moral high ground since sponsors of theirs do business in/with saudi connection.
If that isnt what you meant, my apologies.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The NFL is too insular and lacks the globally iconic figures that both golf and basketball have.
Arab wealth dwarfs all 32 NFL owners combined. When they decide they want in, they'll get in. The big difference in the NFL and the top Euro soccer leagues is revenue sharing and salary caps. So not as much incentive for them to want to own an NFL team.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Arab wealth dwarfs all 32 NFL owners combined. When they decide they want in, they'll get in. The big difference in the NFL and the top Euro soccer leagues is revenue sharing and salary caps. So not as much incentive for them to want to own an NFL team.
I also think the fact existing owners have to vote in new owners is a hurdle. I'm not sure the old guard "wants that smoke".

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login