PGA and LIV are merging

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I love how they are framing this story. There was no merger, the Saudis outright bought the whole damn PGA and are using the PGA to cleanse the transaction. It's almost like watching the Sinaloa Cartel "merging" with Walgreens to clean up the reputation and the money...
If that’s what you want to believe, I’m not going to try to stop you, but I personally don’t think that’s what happened at all.

From the PGA’s perspective, they weren’t worried about LIV as a genuine competitor any more than Vince McMahon was worried about AEW. What they were worried about was fighting legal battles and lawsuits that they ultimately weren’t going to be able to win. I don’t know what the tipping point was, but I guarantee that their concern was about legal matters, not losing viewers to a tour that no one is watching.

From LIV’s point of view, I’ve said it a dozen times, but the only question for them was going to be when the Saudis got tired of throwing billions down the drain, and I think they finally started to see the writing on the wall when they repeatedly failed to secure a legit TV deal. Say what you want about their endless resources, but LIV just wasn’t going to work long term, and if you’re looking for proof that it was actually both sides that caved, take a look at the power that was signed over to Monahan as part of the agreement.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Monahan didn’t backtrack, and he likely is getting a big check out of this deal. But I also think there was significant need on LIV’s side to get something done here, and the future of this whole merger will continue to look a lot more like the current PGA than anything else

Last edited:
Reactions: InTheIttaBenaHotSun

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
A popular opinion, but everyone who says this simply doesn't understand golf.
Would love to know what you mean by this, it’s the worst rule in golf. Ever lost a tournament, a real one, because the course was chewed up for days? Everyone should learn to hit out of a divot because they have to but people lose tournaments because of that nonsense.

ETA: went back and read more of the thread, i get the positions of people on this but there are scholarships and money on these things. Things even out in the end over careers but careers start out with tournaments.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Would love to know what you mean by this, it’s the worst rule in golf. Ever lost a tournament, a real one, because the course was chewed up for days? Everyone should learn to hit out of a divot because they have to but people lose tournaments because of that nonsense.

ETA: went back and read more of the thread, i get the positions of people on this but there are scholarships and money on these things. Things even out in the end over careers but careers start out with tournaments.
The golf course doesn't owe anyone anything. Bad breaks really are a part of the game a player had to accept and overcome.

I've never seen anyone lose a tournament because of a fairway divot. Statistically, it has probably happened. But maybe that person shouldn't have missed the birdie putt on 16, or just remind themselves of the extraordinarily lucky break they got in the first round.

Things even out over the course of a single tournament. Honestly, even if that person had gotten a good lie, they could easily hit an even worse shot than they hit from the divot. We will never know, but then they would have to find something else to blame.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
app phone GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login