Players drafted from this years team

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I see a lot of comments about this team doesn't have a single player that eill get drafted to the NFL. But I wonder how much of that is about the talent level of the individual player or the pi$$ poor coaching and garbage scheme/team they are playing in. That's why a lot of top Mississippi kids wind up going to LSU or Bama. They know they will look better and play better somewhere more organized and better coached.

Reactions: josebrown

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s the talent thing. We’re very poorly coached as well. But the NFL will draft you if you’ve got talent. We don’t.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I see a lot of comments about this team doesn't have a single player that eill get drafted to the NFL. But I wonder how much of that is about the talent level of the individual player or the pi$$ poor coaching and garbage scheme/team they are playing in. That's why a lot of top Mississippi kids wind up going to LSU or Bama. They know they will look better and play better somewhere more organized and better coached.
That’s those other schools recruiting pitch, but we’ve put a ton of guys in the league here lately. This isn’t Croom’s msu. Well, it wasn’t

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I think Tulu gets drafted, he’s got too much potential and will put up good numbers at the combine. Bookie and Pickering will get a look too.

Question is would their draft stock be higher if they played at Bama or LSU. I say Tulu maybe - he’d certainly had a better opportunity to showcase his skills… others probably not.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
It’s all speculation, but there’s no way these players don’t perform better if competently coached. Their tape means a lot to being drafted. You can’t just say if they have potential the NFL will find them. That’s not who they are. Some will get camp invites if potential is there, but draft prospects have to be competent, successful players on tape. They get noticed by performing, not playing slow, bad and running into each other or being out of position constantly. NFL don’t live off diamonds in the rough. At some point you’ve got to show you can play, and bad coaching doesn’t help.

Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
My point has nothing to do with the other teams. People are saying we have low talent and using it as an excuse for the poor play. Personally I think it's more coaching and scheme. True enough we aren't a team full of 4 and 5 star players but there are a lot of 4 star players on this team. Probly more than our average

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Who do you think has the talent?

Out of juniors and seniors Pickering is the only one who might have the talent.

Watson and Jet are good college players but don’t have the speed.

Do we have some issues with coaching? Sure.
But our main problem is talent.

And a small part of that is on Arnett but it’s mainly on leach.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
My point has nothing to do with the other teams. People are saying we have low talent and using it as an excuse for the poor play. Personally I think it's more coaching and scheme. True enough we aren't a team full of 4 and 5 star players but there are a lot of 4 star players on this team. Probly more than our average
There are a lot of 4 stars on this team, but none of them are really good 4 stars.

We didn’t recruit bad but we misjudged on most of those high 3 and 4 stars.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
So the kids had potential coming out of high school snd regressed ? Or you think the recruiting services and all our coaches misjudged it and the players were not good ? Before you go disparaging them too much don't forget these same players went 9 and 4 last year. Yes we lost a shutdown corner and a good SAM linebacker. A couple of good DL and a couple of transfer safeties.

patdog

May 28, 2007
So the kids had potential coming out of high school snd regressed ? Or you think the recruiting services and all our coaches misjudged it and the players were not good ? Before you go disparaging them too much don't forget these same players went 9 and 4 last year. Yes we lost a shutdown corner and a good SAM linebacker. A couple of good DL and a couple of transfer safeties.
I think the recruiting ranking are worth about what the paper they're printed on is worth. And they're not even printed these days, so no paper = free. We've got maybe 2-3 players who may be drafted in the last 2 rounds, just as good chance no one is drafted though. And there's nobody on this team you can see starting for any length of time in the NFL. The talent level is as low as it's been for a long time. That's just not even close to be deniable.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Who do you think has the talent?

Out of juniors and seniors Pickering is the only one who might have the talent.

Watson and Jet are good college players but don’t have the speed.

Do we have some issues with coaching? Sure.
But our main problem is talent.

And a small part of that is on Arnett but it’s mainly on leach.
LOL

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
So you say these same players went 9-4 and then you say we lost our best db(1st round), a starting lb and 2 dls. We also lost 3 of the 4 remaining starting dbs.

Reactions: paindonthurt

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We lost a LOT of talent from last year's team.
I just listed most of it. How many guys got drafted off last year's team ?? How many DB and RB did we sign out of the portal or did we miss on every one of them ? Do most teams not lose 10 or 12 guys every year ??

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
So you say these same players went 9-4 and then you say we lost our best db(1st round), a starting lb and 2 dls. We also lost 3 of the 4 remaining starting dbs.
Do teams not lose players every year ? Is the transfer portal not available to utilize for our coaches like it is every other coach ??

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Defense was expected to regress some, with the DB losses. But offense, with essentially every starter returning, should have taken a leap.

The talent is not as bad as it is playing.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Seems to be quite a few folks forgetting we also lost a guy who would clearly be one of our best receivers, if not the best, to the national champs.

We lost a lot and it didn't get replaced at all. It is what it is.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Do teams not lose players every year ? Is the transfer portal not available to utilize for our coaches like it is every other coach ??

Yes, but to act like we were an attractive place for a good player in the portal to land after our HC passed away is not real rational.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
A lot of the top MS kids are going to LSU, Bama, AND Ole Miss, and they’ve been doing so for 3+ years now. It’s not a new problem. It started in earnest in 2021-2022. Arnett’s been the coach for 10 months. You do the math.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think Tulu gets drafted, he’s got too much potential and will put up good numbers at the combine. Bookie and Pickering will get a look too.

Question is would their draft stock be higher if they played at Bama or LSU. I say Tulu maybe - he’d certainly had a better opportunity to showcase his skills… others probably not.
Tulu would be our first WR drafted in nearly 30 years. Don’t get your hopes up.

Bookie and Pickering have 5-6 years of tape each. They’ve both been draft eligible for at least 2 years already. Yet here they are. If the NFL wanted them, they’d be there already.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Saying you have a ton of 4* players is the same thing as saying you’ve eaten at tons of restaurants that had great Yelp reviews 3 or 4 years ago. Nobody gives a crap about who is a 4* or 2* or 5* once they actually see the field and get real evaluations from real coaches and real scouts.

Don’t tell me how highly rated the restaurant you ate at was a long time ago, tell me how good the 17ing steak is today. I’ll go ahead and spoil it for you, our 2-deep is filled with Applebee’s house sirloins and Bourbon Street steaks, with a very small handful of Longhorn NY strips.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You mean before our coach died? The one we hired specifically because he had a unique approach that didn’t require having elite talent to win at a decent level?

You’d be correct in that assessment.
So tell me this.....what's the most likely scenario:

A) We hire another coach with a unique approach;
B) We recruit well enough to make Arnett successful;

What is it that you advocate?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
A lot of the top MS kids are going to LSU, Bama, AND Ole Miss, and they’ve been doing so for 3+ years now. It’s not a new problem. It started in earnest in 2021-2022. Arnett’s been the coach for 10 months. You do the math.
9 and 4 vs this ****$how....you do the math

Reactions: Ibdancin

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017

One of those is a possibility. The other is not

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not advocating anything. Not saying Arnett is the answer. Just saying that talent on the roster is a major problem. I truly don’t think we’d be any better than 4-4 with Leach right now. However, we’d look more competent in both the wins and the losses than we have thus far. And we might turn what will be 5-7 / 6-6 into 6-6 / 7-5. Maybe we’d be at 5-3 right now with a win over Auburn if Rogers still got hurt but somehow Locke / Robertson didn’t bolt (which I think they would have anyway).

No matter who the next coach is, the talent has to be better. There are no more guys out there that have won big at have-not programs like Leach. He was the only apple on that tree.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I distinctly remember a lot of folks saying we don't need all those WR anymore. We only need a couple of good ones cause we gone run the ball. Well we got Jrob, Tulu, Zavion, Creed, and a couple more we signed thru the portal. How many more do we need ? If we still had Rara ya think we would be winning more ? Probly not. I will give you Forbes. He is not replaceable. Wheat might be kinda hard to replace and the rest are just typical dudes that teams lose every year. Again, transfer portal was right there this spring. I guess everybody has their opinion. I think this staff sucks. The team is no better today than it was after the first game. Might be worse since everybody got their favorite QB out there

patdog

May 28, 2007
I truly don’t think we’d be any better than 4-4 with Leach right now. However, we’d look more competent in both the wins and the losses than we have thus far. And we might turn what will be 5-7 / 6-6 into 6-6 / 7-5. Maybe we’d be at 5-3 right now with a win over Auburn if Rogers still got hurt but somehow Locke / Robertson didn’t bolt (which I think they would have anyway).

No matter who the next coach is, the talent has to be better. There are no more guys out there that have won big at have-not programs like Leach. He was the only apple on that tree.
I think Leach would beat South Carolina and probably finish 7-5. Only 2 games better than I think Arnett will finish. But the eye test would be bigger than just 2 games difference. Bottom line is, no matter who the coach is, talent has to improve.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I just listed most of it. How many guys got drafted off last year's team ?? How many DB and RB did we sign out of the portal or did we miss on every one of them ? Do most teams not lose 10 or 12 guys every year ??
Most teams don’t lose 8 or 9 starters on one side of the ball and pick right up where they left off on that side.
Before you respond, look up the definition to MOST

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Defense was expected to regress some, with the DB losses. But offense, with essentially every starter returning, should have taken a leap.

The talent is not as bad as it is playing.
It’s not that good but it’s also lost the most important part. The coach.

which everyone always knew that coach got the most with the least talent.

and that coach is the only coach that runs that exact offense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not advocating anything. Not saying Arnett is the answer. Just saying that talent on the roster is a major problem for a coach like Arnett.
Fixed that for you.

I truly don’t think we’d be any better than 4-4 with Leach right now. However, we’d look more competent in both the wins and the losses than we have thus far. And we might turn what will be 5-7 / 6-6 into 6-6 / 7-5. Maybe we’d be at 5-3 right now with a win over Auburn if Rogers still got hurt but somehow Locke / Robertson didn’t bolt (which I think they would have anyway).
Craziness. We'd have beaten Carolina and Auburn, and maybe one of LSU/Bama.

Agree on the first sentence, disagree on the second/third.

On the first sentence, yeah, there's a reason that the Leach's top out at 10-2 and not 12-0. They don't fit everywhere. I do think he'd have gotten there at say, Tennessee, had they hired him.

On the second/third: Malzahn, Fritz, Chadwell, Rich Rod, Monken, etc. These are all coaches with an offensive system that is their advantage. These guys are all their own OCs and always will be.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

You might be the dumbest most arrogant persona I’ve ever encountered. It’s pretty amazing.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You called me out for never committing, so man up. Answer my question above. A or B?

Commit.
See I don’t care about always being right.

I’m also smarter than you. I realize when we hired Arnett there was no way to see the future in a bad situation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login