Players drafted from this years team

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
See I don’t care about always being right.

I’m also smarter than you. I realize when we hired Arnett there was no way to see the future in a bad situation.
That's right, I didn't think so. Some folks complain no matter what, some folks are a sheep no matter what. Then there are a lot in the middle where reality lies. You are one of the sheep. You're just a little younger than the genespage variety.

Enjoy your insider access with Arnett at the helm.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Most teams don’t lose 8 or 9 starters on one side of the ball and pick right up where they left off on that side.
Before you respond, look up the definition to MOST
Name those 8 or 9. You can Google the definition of name if necessary

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
On the second/third: Malzahn, Fritz, Chadwell, Rich Rod, Monken, etc. These are all coaches with an offensive system that is their advantage. These guys are all their own OCs and always will be.
Malzahn averaged 8-4 at freaking Auburn. He’d be a disaster here.

RichRod is a total has been which is why he is where he is.

Fritz is old as hell.

And NONE of those guys won big at schools like Wazzu and Texas Tech. So again, there are no more Mike Leach’s out there, and even actual Mike Leach wasn’t going to do any better than 7-5 or so with this roster.

This is not an endorsement of Arnett or excuse for the team. Arnett’s qualifications and abilities are a completely separate topic. But the talent level sucks. There’s a strong possibility we’ll have our first year of no NFL draft picks since the 2009 draft which followed Croom’s 2008 farewell tour. And yes, that team also had “4* players”.

Reactions: paindonthurt

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Malzahn averaged 8-4 at freaking Auburn. He’d be a disaster here.

RichRod is a total has been which is why he is where he is.

Fritz is old as hell.

And NONE of those guys won big at schools like Wazzu and Texas Tech. So again, there are no more Mike Leach’s out there, and even actual Mike Leach wasn’t going to do any better than 7-5 or so with this roster.

This is not an endorsement of Arnett or excuse for the team. Arnett’s qualifications and abilities are a completely separate topic. But the talent level sucks. There’s a strong possibility we’ll have our first year of no NFL draft picks since the 2009 draft which followed Croom’s 2008 farewell tour. And yes, that team also had “4* players”.
I will grant you that there are none as wacky as Leach. Rich Rod would be my guy, and he'd come. Won big at WV and was about to win big at Michigan. Also won at Arizona. We'd be his farewell tour and you know he'd be hungry. He's got baggage and that fits right in at MSU.

I'd love to see him with a QB like Parson or the guy at from Mobile. Or Mike Wright for that matter. That offense would smoke, with the RBs we can get around here.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
leach would not have wasted portal signings on tight ends, he would have found a Matthews , Charlton and banks who all came out of the portal.

leach wins nine or ten no problem with this easy schedule this year. if you make Miller interim and just keep everything else the same without Leach they win 7/8 games. this staff is the key stone cops.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
leach would not have wasted portal signings on tight ends, he would have found a Matthews , Charlton and banks who all came out of the portal.

leach wins nine or ten no problem with this easy schedule this year. if you make Miller interim and just keep everything else the same without Leach they win 7/8 games. this staff is the key stone cops.
And Arnett would have been where he's supposed to be - coordinating the defense. Still not exactly sure why he decided to go away from this. I guess crossing your arms is more fun.

Guaranteed our guys would not be this bad out of position. It's just hard to wrap my mind around the idea that many of our fans actually think our defensive talent is as bad as the on-field results we've seen.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
And Arnett would have been where he's supposed to be - coordinating the defense. Still not exactly sure why he decided to go away from this. I guess crossing your arms is more fun.

Guaranteed our guys would not be this bad out of position.
He got a lot of good ol boy bad advice, they knew better*

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Defense was expected to regress some, with the DB losses. But offense, with essentially every starter returning, should have taken a leap.

The talent is not as bad as it is playing.
On offense, we lost our best receiver, our best olineman and one of the two best rbs( i think he was the best of our rbs) So no, not essentially every starter returning.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Saying you have a ton of 4* players is the same thing as saying you’ve eaten at tons of restaurants that had great Yelp reviews 3 or 4 years ago. Nobody gives a crap about who is a 4* or 2* or 5* once they actually see the field and get real evaluations from real coaches and real scouts.

Don’t tell me how highly rated the restaurant you ate at was a long time ago, tell me how good the 17ing steak is today. I’ll go ahead and spoil it for you, our 2-deep is filled with Applebee’s house sirloins and Bourbon Street steaks, with a very small handful of Longhorn NY strips.
I'm hoping you're comparing the 2 star or unrated guys to NY strips because NY strips are terrible.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
That's right, I didn't think so. Some folks complain no matter what, some folks are a sheep no matter what. Then there are a lot in the middle where reality lies. You are one of the sheep. You're just a little younger than the genespage variety.

Enjoy your insider access with Arnett at the helm.
I can assure I’m in the middle and you are on the “I’m smarter than everyone side”.

But reality is you could never do what you claim to on this board. You could never manage an athletic department even 1/4th the size of ours.

you couldn’t manage a junior high team to long term success.

You probably have trouble in day to day life and blame all of your problems on other people.

It’s ok man. Life is too short to be a sulky b1tch all day every day. Lighten up and let go of the “glory” days of being number 150 of 300 in whatever you do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
On offense, we lost our best receiver, our best olineman and one of the two best rbs( i think he was the best of our rbs) So no, not essentially every starter returning.
Fair point. But every player that is currently a starter, has been a starter at some point, and played a bunch of snaps. Bottom line, the Air Raid would be humming right now.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can assure I’m in the middle and you are on the “I’m smarter than everyone side”.

But reality is you could never do what you claim to on this board. You could never manage an athletic department even 1/4th the size of ours.

you couldn’t manage a junior high team to long term success.

You probably have trouble in day to day life and blame all of your problems on other people.

It’s ok man. Life is too short to be a sulky b1tch all day every day. Lighten up and let go of the “glory” days of being number 150 of 300 in whatever you do.
Hey man, don't you be talking about my sports management. I'll always be the coach of the Grand Slam 2022 March Madness Superslam champs (1st out of 4 teams but RiNgZ)

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I will grant you that there are none as wacky as Leach. Rich Rod would be my guy, and he'd come. Won big at WV and was about to win big at Michigan. Also won at Arizona. We'd be his farewell tour and you know he'd be hungry. He's got baggage and that fits right in at MSU.

I'd love to see him with a QB like Parson or the guy at from Mobile. Or Mike Wright for that matter. That offense would smoke, with the RBs we can get around here.
Rich Rod was “about to win big at Michigan”? Were you even at that Gator Bowl? Holy hell. He was 1 game over .500 overall at Arizona and Michigan. He was 21-40 in conference play at those schools, when he was never at a talent disadvantage like what we face against half the teams on our schedule every year. And on top of all that, he’s 60 years old right now. Just a horrid choice for HC, as is Malzahn.

patdog

May 28, 2007
OG Goat Holder said:
Forbes, Matthews, Green, Wheat, Young. 8 or 9, 5, all the same

And Charlton.
More than the number of starters lost, it's the quality lost and not adequately replaced. Forbes, Wheat and Charlton were HUGE losses.
Rich Rod was “about to win big at Michigan”? Were you even at that Gator Bowl? Holy hell. He was 1 game over .500 overall at Arizona and Michigan. He was 21-40 in conference play at those schools, when he was never at a talent disadvantage like what we face against half the teams on our schedule every year. And on top of all that, he’s 60 years old right now. Just a horrid choice for HC, as is Malzahn.
I’d about as soon just keep Arnett if Rich Rod is the best we can do (he’s not).

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You win man. Let’s keep Arnett. I’m off the bus anyway, I really don’t care.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Griffin could get drafted. Dollar Bill could get drafted. Pickering could get drafted. Watson could get drafted. There are guys who might get picked. There are guys NFL teams might take a chance on late in the draft.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Griffin could get drafted. Dollar Bill could get drafted. Pickering could get drafted. Watson could get drafted. There are guys who might get picked. There are guys NFL teams might take a chance on late in the draft.
Yeah. There's a few (not many) players that MIGHT get drafted late. But there's no one on this roster you look at and say, "That's an NFL player." And that hasn't been the case for a long time.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yeah. There's a few (not many) players that MIGHT get drafted late. But there's no one on this roster you look at and say, "That's an NFL player." And that hasn't been the case for a long time.
I agree.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You win man. Let’s keep Arnett. I’m off the bus anyway, I really don’t care.
So that’s your rebuttal? We keep Arnett, or we hire some garbage replacement like Malzahn or RichRod? We have only those 3 options? How about exploring some of the other 99.8% of candidates for coaching MSU in the future.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I see a lot of comments about this team doesn't have a single player that eill get drafted to the NFL. But I wonder how much of that is about the talent level of the individual player or the pi$$ poor coaching and garbage scheme/team they are playing in. That's why a lot of top Mississippi kids wind up going to LSU or Bama. They know they will look better and play better somewhere more organized and better coached.
We do have NFL talent. Name a position on Defense that has not regressed.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Who do you think has the talent?

Out of juniors and seniors Pickering is the only one who might have the talent.

Watson and Jet are good college players but don’t have the speed.

Do we have some issues with coaching? Sure.
But our main problem is talent.

And a small part of that is on Arnett but it’s mainly on leach.
No it isn't. Our WR, RB, QB rooms are/was full of talent. Arnett is the one that recruited the defense. He's also the HC that finished in the portal.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I think the recruiting ranking are worth about what the paper they're printed on is worth. And they're not even printed these days, so no paper = free. We've got maybe 2-3 players who may be drafted in the last 2 rounds, just as good chance no one is drafted though. And there's nobody on this team you can see starting for any length of time in the NFL. The talent level is as low as it's been for a long time. That's just not even close to be deniable.
Tall that to Bama, LSU, UGA... etc. I guess none of those rankings were worth their weight............................................................................

One name... TJ Finley. Signed with LSU. The coaching sucked at LSU. He was another Mike Wright. So he transfers to Auburn.... They made him worse.... 1st year at Auburn, 52% passer. Transfers to Texas St where he is a 70% passer. Has only thrown 5 ints this season

Another Name.... Bo Nix. He signed with Auburn. He was rated 98.5 FIVE star QB. Auburn coaching made him TRASH! Had he stayed at Auburn, he would not be an NFL player. His completion ratio for his years there was less than 60%. He transfers to Oregon and immediately is a 72% passer and this year 78.3% Guess where he projected. 1st to second round. You would be the one calling him a miss on due to poor evaluation.

We did not miss on all of these players. The staff sucks and can not train them. They have regressed. From the defensive side to the offensive side, we have regressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
To provide more context on this discussion from an objective source, see below. This site rates every possible draft prospect we have. I have no idea how accurate it is historically, but it’s the only site I can find anywhere that shows any of our players being taken in the draft at all. And it’s just 1 player - currently projects Woody as a 5th rounder, with literally every other player being projected as UDFA. And late round RB’s are a total crapshoot, I could just as easily see Woody being not drafted.

If you could set a Vegas line on how many draft picks came from MSU - it’d be 0.5 for MSU in 2024. And that’s a pretty horrible position for any SEC team to be in.

Reactions: patdog

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
A lot of the top MS kids are going to LSU, Bama, AND Ole Miss, and they’ve been doing so for 3+ years now. It’s not a new problem. It started in earnest in 2021-2022. Arnett’s been the coach for 10 months. You do the math.
Full of shot post. The top talent in MS has been snatched up for decades.

In 2021, we got the #2,7,9 out of the top 10. Bama took #3. LSU got #1. Auburn #10. Ole Miss got the #4,5,6.

2019.. We got the #1, 4, 10.

2017... #2, 5, 9....

So who was the coach for that 2017 class... the 2019? It wasn't the person you are trying to make out as the root of our woes!

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Full of shot post. The top talent in MS has been snatched up for decades.

In 2021, we got the #2,7,9 out of the top 10. Bama took #3. LSU got #1. Auburn #10. Ole Miss got the #4,5,6.

2019.. We got the #1, 4, 10.

2017... #2, 5, 9....

So who was the coach for that 2017 class... the 2019? It wasn't the person you are trying to make out as the root of our woes!
I don’t GAF about website rankings when they are in High School. We don’t actually get better on the field from taking Bama / Miami washouts just because they had 4* by their name on a website. I care about who we get out of guys in MS that are unanimously considered the best players by actual offers and recruiting focus from multiple SEC programs. We haven’t landed an elite MS kid since Forbes in 2020…who committed to Moorhead. Period. Which means Leach never even signed one. That’s not all on him or his staff, but its a fact. You’re an imbecile to assume Bama / LSU always got the best MS kids. They didn’t get Forbes, Gay, Simmons, Cox, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Moncrief, Cross, etc. That’s a who’s who of the very best MS players of the past 15 years before the NIL chaos ensued, and almost all of them stayed in state.

Bama, for example, would get a guy here and a guy there, but pre-2021 State and OM effectively shut even them out from the best-of-the-best players in MS for most of Saban’s tenure, with Raekwon Davis and maybe one or two other folks being exceptions. But Bama isn’t the problem. OM signing Perkins last year and having almost all the elite DL talent except one guy locked down this year IS the problem. Winds of recruiting are changing and we’re falling way behind in the NIL era. Pre NIL status quo was OM would prioritize high level offensive talent (particularly skill positions, OL, and WR’s) where we’d generally lock up the best defensive players. Now, its just OM getting almost everyone.

That’s an issue that has to be fixed, everyone who doesn’t have their head buried in the sand knows there is only one way to fix it, and it has nothing to do with the coaching staff.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: patdog and Ibdancin

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
No it isn't. Our WR, RB, QB rooms are/was full of talent. Arnett is the one that recruited the defense. He's also the HC that finished in the portal.
No it isn't what?

Defensive coordinators don't recruit only defensive players. If you think that, you are dumbing than i think.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don’t GAF about website rankings when they are in High School. We don’t actually get better on the field from taking Bama / Miami washouts just because they had 4* by their name on a website. I care about who we get out of guys in MS that are unanimously considered the best players by actual offers and recruiting focus from multiple SEC programs. We haven’t landed an elite MS kid since Forbes in 2020…who committed to Moorhead. Period. Which means Leach never even signed one. That’s not all on him or his staff, but its a fact. You’re an imbecile to assume Bama / LSU always got the best MS kids. They didn’t get Forbes, Gay, Simmons, Cox, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Moncrief, Cross, etc. That’s a who’s who of the very best MS players of the past 15 years before the NIL chaos ensued, and almost all of them stayed in state.

Bama, for example, would get a guy here and a guy there, but pre-2021 State and OM effectively shut even them out from the best-of-the-best players in MS for most of Saban’s tenure, with Raekwon Davis and maybe one or two other folks being exceptions. But Bama isn’t the problem. OM signing Perkins last year and having almost all the elite DL talent except one guy locked down this year IS the problem. Winds of recruiting are changing and we’re falling way behind in the NIL era. Pre NIL status quo was OM would prioritize high level offensive talent (particularly skill positions, OL, and WR’s) where we’d generally lock up the best defensive players. Now, its just OM getting almost everyone.

That’s an issue that has to be fixed, everyone who doesn’t have their head buried in the sand knows there is only one way to fix it, and it has nothing to do with the coaching staff.
In other words.... you are full of shot.

I get that you hate the facts, but I gave them. You can stick your head in the sand and demand that it's not true, but facts are facts.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
No it isn't what?

Defensive coordinators don't recruit only defensive players. If you think that, you are dumbing than i think.

Like I said, our WR,RB, and QB room has never been as good and it's due to the recruiting of Leach. Just because they can not over come the piss poor coaching of the inexperienced staff we have right now does not make them bad recruits or that we missed on everybody.

We have a coaching issue.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
In other words.... you are full of shot.

I get that you hate the facts, but I gave them. You can stick your head in the sand and demand that it's not true, but facts are facts.
Genespage talent evaluators being 100% accurate in their assessment of player skill is about as far from a fact as you can get, but I’m clearly trying to teach Algebra to a 2 year old so I’ll just let you keep on your dumbass crusade. 5 years from now when we’re on our 5th straight season of 6-7 wins or less under any number of head coaches between then and now, I’ll be here to say “I told you so” while you are still bitching and complaining about 11 personnel vs. 10 or whatever the f*ck else.

Arnett sucks and our talent sucks. There isn’t just one problem. Both need fixing.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Like I said, our WR,RB, and QB room has never been as good and it's due to the recruiting of Leach.
Good lord. Our QB room has never been as good as Will Rogers and Mike Wright? RB’s never been better than Marks / Pittman / etc.?

You’re just sticking with that take?

Reactions: paindonthurt

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
To provide more context on this discussion from an objective source, see below. This site rates every possible draft prospect we have. I have no idea how accurate it is historically, but it’s the only site I can find anywhere that shows any of our players being taken in the draft at all. And it’s just 1 player - currently projects Woody as a 5th rounder, with literally every other player being projected as UDFA. And late round RB’s are a total crapshoot, I could just as easily see Woody being not drafted.

If you could set a Vegas line on how many draft picks came from MSU - it’d be 0.5 for MSU in 2024. And that’s a pretty horrible position for any SEC team to be in.
Interesting on Rogers...

Game performance weighted rating.
Click the links below to view how player ranks vs other prospects.
Release Speed: 94%
Short Passing: 74%
Medium Passing: 75%
Long Passing: 96%

And the report:

Scouting Report: Strengths​

• Rogers has a quick release and shows good accuracy on shorter throws when on the move to either side.
  • Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally.
  • Ball placement is a strength. Rogers has the natural instincts to make plays when forced to improvise.
  • Gets the ball out quickly, making ·splitsecond decisions. Good short to intermediate level accuracy, demonstrating the ball placement to allow receivers to run after the catch.
  • Enough arm strength to drive the ball through tight windows up to 20 yards downfield. Spreads the ball around to multiple receivers.
  • Athletic quarterback who is a threat to leave the pocket and gain positive yardage at any time. Possesses very good vision balance, elusiveness and deceptive speed and power as a runner.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Genespage talent evaluators being 100% accurate in their assessment of player skill is about as far from a fact as you can get, but I’m clearly trying to teach Algebra to a 2 year old so I’ll just let you keep on your dumbass crusade. 5 years from now when we’re on our 5th straight season of 6-7 wins or less under any number of head coaches between then and now, I’ll be here to say “I told you so” while you are still bitching and complaining about 11 personnel vs. 10 or whatever the f*ck else.

Arnett sucks and our talent sucks. There isn’t just one problem. Both need fixing.
Only a dumbass would demand that we missed on all of those players. There is no reality in it.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Good lord. Our QB room has never been as good as Will Rogers and Mike Wright? RB’s never been better than Marks / Pittman / etc.?

You’re just sticking with that take?
With Leach. I said nothing about what we have in Mike Wright except when I was on here telling you that demanded the back up because the staff needed to prove to YOU he could not do and until then Roger's sucks and needs to go.

Yes, I'm am sticking with the WR, QB, and RB rooms looking great under Leach and better than our history.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login