PSA...... Refrigerators

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
So I bought a refrigerator (Whirlpool) in Jan. 23 with an additional 3 year warranty. My LED dome light went out a week ago and is built into the cabinet where you have to have a repair man to replace it. Repair guy just left and I asked him what this would have cost without the warranty. He said $635 (about 30% of the cost of the refrigerator) . Needless to say if I hadn't had the warranty we'd just have a dark refrigerator. Insane and sad what's happened with appliances .

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Insane and sad what's happened with appliances .
My favorite part is how anything that plugs in - no matter how small or inconsequential - now needs bright LED lights and/or loud beeps/chimes/buzzers, none of which can be turned off. It's maddening.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Don't even get me started on my Samsung. I bought one knowing the ice maker should shlt the bed. Sure nuff. It did. Cost me 2 service calls and about $600. Also had to wait on the part for about 3 months.

Reactions: Fritz!

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Don't even get me started on my Samsung. I bought one knowing the ice maker should shlt the bed. Sure nuff. It did. Cost me 2 service calls and about $600. Also had to wait on the part for about 3 months.
My Samsung icemaker started leaking.... Inside the sealed insulated part.

Impossible to repair and the warranty didn't cover a new fridge. Samsung solution was "Turn off the water"

I have a Whirlpool now.

• Wow
Reactions: eckie1

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I only buy GE refrigerators now. Easy to get parts and work on and not many problems.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My Samsung icemaker started leaking.... Inside the sealed insulated part.

Impossible to repair and the warranty didn't cover a new fridge. Samsung solution was "Turn off the water"

I have a Whirlpool now.
We have a Samsung now. Got rid of the whirlpool. I replaced the motherboard 3 times, the ice maker tray housing broke twice and the display went out twice. I repair everything myself unless absolutely necessary. And it doesn’t matter the brand. They all suck now.

About 8 years ago we got a new dishwasher. After about 18 months it stopped working so I called a repairman. He told me the pump was bad and with parts and labor I would be better off replacing the entire dishwasher. I looked up the pump and it cost about 80 bucks. I took it out and replaced it myself and it hasn’t stopped since.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
I bought one for $1,000.00 and the compressor went out in less than a year. Thankfully under warranty. Repair man said it would have cost 900.

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
So I bought a refrigerator (Whirlpool) in Jan. 23 with an additional 3 year warranty. My LED dome light went out a week ago and is built into the cabinet where you have to have a repair man to replace it. Repair guy just left and I asked him what this would have cost without the warranty. He said $635 (about 30% of the cost of the refrigerator) . Needless to say if I hadn't had the warranty we'd just have a dark refrigerator. Insane and sad what's happened with appliances .
We replaced a dishwasher earlier this year that was less than 3 years old. We had the same issue as you with a Whirlpool refrigerator that was about 7 years old. We bought a new one and moved the Whirlpool to the garage storage room to serve as a beer / overflow fridge. I am guessing 7 years is probably on or above par for an appliance these days, but to my frugal brain to ******* sucks.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
My favorite part is how anything that plugs in - no matter how small or inconsequential - now needs bright LED lights and/or loud beeps/chimes/buzzers, none of which can be turned off. It's maddening.

And bluetooth.

• Haha
Reactions: MSUDOG24

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I had a Kitchenaid (owned by Whirlpool) refrigerator and it had a severe design flaw. The motherboard that controlled the whole fridge was under a control panel on top of one of the 'crisper' drawers.... which was right below the water and ice dispenser, so of course when the water dripped or a piece of ice got caught in the dispenser door or whatever, the water dripped down the front of the door onto the top of that drawer where the humidity control, etc., was located.

It then seeped below the control panel and filled up the little cavity under it. This is where the motherboard for the entire refrigerator lived. At first, the LED lights shorted out, but the fridge still cooled, then the whole fridge just shut down. The first time was covered under warranty, but it started leaking again a few months later. By then, I was in the middle of a divorce and I volunteered it up to my ex-wife because I didn't want to deal with it anymore. I'm not sure if she ever got it repaired again.

1725999428907.png

Reactions: dorndawg

HulksStache

Mar 4, 2013
My dishwasher will not dry the dishes. I replaced the heater coil but still won’t get hot enough to dry everything. Any ideas?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We have a Samsung now. Got rid of the whirlpool. I replaced the motherboard 3 times, the ice maker tray housing broke twice and the display went out twice. I repair everything myself unless absolutely necessary. And it doesn’t matter the brand. They all suck now.

About 8 years ago we got a new dishwasher. After about 18 months it stopped working so I called a repairman. He told me the pump was bad and with parts and labor I would be better off replacing the entire dishwasher. I looked up the pump and it cost about 80 bucks. I took it out and replaced it myself and it hasn’t stopped since.
Any reasonably trained labor is getting so expensive that you have to make really good money to justify not learning how to do basic repairs. I've got a few little projects that will take me a day and a half to knock out but would probably take a somebody that wouldn't have to make several runs to the hardware store two or at most three hours. Haven't wanted them done badly enough to justify losing a weekend to knocking them out but also can't justify paying what it would cost to have people to come out and do them.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I've got an RCA in the garage that is over 35 years old and still kicking. I have rewired the defroster coils in the freezer. I think the original wire gauge was a bit thin.

My fridge in the kitchen is a FrigidAire that is about 10 years old. Made in Mexico. It makes some weird noises sometimes but never had any issues with it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And bluetooth.
My vent-a-hood has wifi connection and an app. You know, for all those times you're out of the house but want to turn on the vent or light over the range. I assume it has some spyware on the app and scrapes data and sells it? I can't believe anybody thought it was really a feature that was going to help them move product.

My fridge also has wifi, but I can at least understand the utility of having a warning message if the temperature drops below a safe level, although the main time that would be helpful would be power outages, when of course it doesn't work.

Reactions: Fritz!

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
My new refrigerator has the normal ice maker in the door for dispensing. It then has another “craft ice maker” in the bottom freezer that only makes 3 or 6 pieces per day depending on the setting. The craft ice cubes are big clear balls of ice for the whiskey drinkers. It’s cool now but I know this just means I will have 2 ice makers break instead of one.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Any reasonably trained labor is getting so expensive that you have to make really good money to justify not learning how to do basic repairs. I've got a few little projects that will take me a day and a half to knock out but would probably take a somebody that wouldn't have to make several runs to the hardware store two or at most three hours. Haven't wanted them done badly enough to justify losing a weekend to knocking them out but also can't justify paying what it would cost to have people to come out and do them.
I'm about the least handy person I know, and I'm real lazy on top of that - but damned if I haven't turned into Bob Villa on the last 3-4 years around the house. It's easier than finding somebody to do it, then they charge out the wazoo and half-asss it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If you buy a Samsung and you have a warranty they will just replace it. No one can work on them.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
We just replaced a way too expensive top of the line KitchenAid refrigerator. The repairman (who gave us the bad news that it couldn't be fixed) recommended avoiding any refrigerator with a double evaporator. So we bought a single evaporator Whirlpool.

Side note for those in North Alabama: The Lowe's Outlet in Huntsville had at least 100 scratch and dent refrigerators. Seems like it's pretty easy to scratch and dent a stainless steel appliance.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I'm about the least handy person I know, and I'm real lazy on top of that - but damned if I haven't turned into Bob Villa on the last 3-4 years around the house. It's easier than finding somebody to do it, then they charge out the wazoo and half-asss it.
Amen to that. I've learned more about in ground sprinkler systems in the last several years than I ever wanted to know. Turns out they are pretty simple and not very hard to maintain.

Reactions: dorndawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Same. YouTube and I can fix just about anything around the house.
Yep. YouTube is your friend. I’ve fixed the washer, dryer, dishwasher, and fridge by just finding it YouTube. Also helps MidAmerica Appliance has a store in Southaven. If they don’t have it there they can get in a day.

Reactions: Pookieray

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Right to repair is something I never saw as a need to be codified.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
LG refrigerators aren’t any better. Although we did go about 6 years before its compressor went out, the warranty was long gone by that point. Luckily found a local guy, who moved to the US from South Korea, and is cleaning up on Korean appliance repair. Was a bit awkward when his subservient wife started wiping his brow during the copper tube brazing. All things considered, still the finest repair work I’ve ever paid for.

LBTdawg

May 11, 2010
Just to throw out more complaining ...

We bought a new Whirlpool from Home Depot the first week in August. About 10 days later, we noticed that it wasn't cooling/freezing. Home Depot tells us it a manufacturer warranty issue -- Contact Whirlpool and its a 2 week wait for a technician to come out. The guy finally comes and tells us that the Freezer cabin does not seal properly; puts in a claim for replacement. Still waiting. Lesson learned and next time will be buying from a local place that services what they sell.

35+ Year old refrigerator in the garage is still going strong though....

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Just to throw out more complaining ...

We bought a new Whirlpool from Home Depot the first week in August. About 10 days later, we noticed that it wasn't cooling/freezing. Home Depot tells us it a manufacturer warranty issue -- Contact Whirlpool and its a 2 week wait for a technician to come out. The guy finally comes and tells us that the Freezer cabin does not seal properly; puts in a claim for replacement. Still waiting. Lesson learned and next time will be buying from a local place that services what they sell.

35+ Year old refrigerator in the garage is still going strong though....
" Still waiting. Lesson learned and next time will be buying from a local place that services what they sell."
Do those places still exist ?

Reactions: dgsmith15

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My dishwasher will not dry the dishes. I replaced the heater coil but still won’t get hot enough to dry everything. Any ideas?
Mine would get hot but didn’t dry. I eventually noticed the vents were upside down. The steam would have to flow downwards to get out. I tried to flip them but wasn’t possible with where the mounting holes were located.

So we just wait till it finishes “drying” and then crack it open. Steam goes everywhere and 30 minutes later it’s mostly dry. A real genius must have designed that one.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Got a 15 year old Whirlpool dish washer that has had zero repairs. My Frigidaire fridge has had about $400 in repairs in that same time frame.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
My in-laws have an old beer fridge in their garage that they bought when they built their house in the late '40's. That thing ices up often and has to be defrosted but other than that it just keeps on humming.
They don’t make stuff like they used to. When my grandmother died in 2020, she was cooking on the same stove that they bought when they moved into that house in 1954.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login