PSA...... Refrigerators

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Since most everyone is telling their story, I have a 19 year old GE Profile. I just recently paid About $400 to get it out of the ditch.
It is doing just great, but I thought it was worth the gamble to fix it.
Some of this newer stuff is suspect. Learned that on my washing machine.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
So I bought a refrigerator (Whirlpool) in Jan. 23 with an additional 3 year warranty. My LED dome light went out a week ago and is built into the cabinet where you have to have a repair man to replace it. Repair guy just left and I asked him what this would have cost without the warranty. He said $635 (about 30% of the cost of the refrigerator) . Needless to say if I hadn't had the warranty we'd just have a dark refrigerator. Insane and sad what's happened with appliances .
Good lord, I thought I wrote this unknowingly. Have a french door dual icemaker Whirlpool that has had problems since we bought it in March 2023. Spent from July to October of last year getting the entire sealed compressor system, main board, sensors, thermostats, etc., after 11 technician visits, replaced. Just last week, our door sensor decided to join the party and go out, so now all the lights stay off and the water dispenser and top icemaker don't work at all. I have to replace the entire UI panel (about $250), and I'm doing it myself to save $200 on top of the part cost. I've had Whirlpool appliances since the 80's that have rocked. The new ones are absolute crap, and they don't make enough replacement parts to handle the repair volume. My PSA: Avoid Whirlpool right now . . . . like our run defense avoids direct tackling.

Refrigerator repair guys told me if they were buying for a family member that they weren't "tech support" for, they would tell them to buy Maytag or GE. Very few Maytag models, but the two techs I spoke with said they rarely have issues, especially with the sealed compressor system. GE models are generally more reliable and apparently (per the techs) have a better supply chain situation with parts.

Last edited:

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
My dishwasher will not dry the dishes. I replaced the heater coil but still won’t get hot enough to dry everything. Any ideas?
Maybe treat her a little better. Send her flowers at work. Leave her little love notes.
That should heat the heater coil up
🤣🤣

Reactions: dog12

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
My vent-a-hood has wifi connection and an app. You know, for all those times you're out of the house but want to turn on the vent or light over the range. I assume it has some spyware on the app and scrapes data and sells it? I can't believe anybody thought it was really a feature that was going to help them move product.

My fridge also has wifi, but I can at least understand the utility of having a warning message if the temperature drops below a safe level, although the main time that would be helpful would be power outages, when of course it doesn't work.
We need Wi-Fi and blue tooth for commodes
Coming up

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
My new refrigerator has the normal ice maker in the door for dispensing. It then has another “craft ice maker” in the bottom freezer that only makes 3 or 6 pieces per day depending on the setting. The craft ice cubes are big clear balls of ice for the whiskey drinkers. It’s cool now but I know this just means I will have 2 ice makers break instead of one.
I got one of those
Game changer

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
So I bought a refrigerator (Whirlpool) in Jan. 23 with an additional 3 year warranty. My LED dome light went out a week ago and is built into the cabinet where you have to have a repair man to replace it. Repair guy just left and I asked him what this would have cost without the warranty. He said $635 (about 30% of the cost of the refrigerator) . Needless to say if I hadn't had the warranty we'd just have a dark refrigerator. Insane and sad what's happened with appliances .
My father-in-law has a 45 year old refrigerator that still runs perfectly in his garage.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We just replaced a way too expensive top of the line KitchenAid refrigerator. The repairman (who gave us the bad news that it couldn't be fixed) recommended avoiding any refrigerator with a double evaporator. So we bought a single evaporator Whirlpool.

Side note for those in North Alabama: The Lowe's Outlet in Huntsville had at least 100 scratch and dent refrigerators. Seems like it's pretty easy to scratch and dent a stainless steel appliance.
Very easy to do so.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Mine would get hot but didn’t dry. I eventually noticed the vents were upside down. The steam would have to flow downwards to get out. I tried to flip them but wasn’t possible with where the mounting holes were located.

So we just wait till it finishes “drying” and then crack it open. Steam goes everywhere and 30 minutes later it’s mostly dry. A real genius must have designed that one.
We open ours as soon as the wash cycle finishes and they dry in a matter of minutes

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I live in a "3rd world" country and by almost every aspect we are, except this one.

we have a thriving economy specifically related to "old *** US" appliances.

Sure we have stores that are offering the newest (3 year old US models) that everyone really wants but what most people here want are the 20 year old no frills, no BS models that won't brick at the first sign of an energy spike.

Sadly, the "ancient" fridges are 1) too small for my big *** fam and 2) as much as a 2 year old side by side with no scratches.

supply and demand bitches.

In summary, 17 technology, I've had enough appliances crap out due to "monther boards" or in my country "tabletas" to know I don't want a mother board in my appliances. Mechanical is the future.

Reactions: Ozarkdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If it requires an app to operate, I'm probably buying the alternative that does not.
We recently bought a new washer and dryer. Every one in 3 different stores that uses an impeller also has a fully digital touch board for settings that I know will break the day the mfg warranty expires.

We ended up buying Samsung appliances that can be controlled remotely with an app.
I have never wished I could delay start my wash. I have never wished I could delay start my dryer. But now I can do both, if I ever find the desire to.

I swear the dryer is the worst 17ing dryer I have ever used. I can set it up to the highest setting for temp and 80 minutes later, a load of laundry is still damp. God forbid a bath towel is in there- that load will be damp for hours.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We recently bought a new washer and dryer. Every one in 3 different stores that uses an impeller also has a fully digital touch board for settings that I know will break the day the mfg warranty expires.

We ended up buying Samsung appliances that can be controlled remotely with an app.
I have never wished I could delay start my wash. I have never wished I could delay start my dryer. But now I can do both, if I ever find the desire to.

I swear the dryer is the worst 17ing dryer I have ever used. I can set it up to the highest setting for temp and 80 minutes later, a load of laundry is still damp. God forbid a bath towel is in there- that load will be damp for hours.
make sure the “eco” setting isn’t on. We have a whirlpool dryer that will just randomly put it back on eco setting. Your clothes will never get dry.

Reactions: dgsmith15

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023

But you can get Wi-Fi off it
You got that going for you
(Bill Murray)
Caddy shack

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I have side-by-side twin Sub-Zero refrigerators that are highly touted for their quality. Wrong. They both cool fine but one has a build up of condensation inside the box that I have to continually wipe with paper towels to stop the mess. The same unit's door will lock up as tight as a drum for about 30 seconds and nothing short of C-4 explosives will open. This happens continuously. Sub-Zero says it is a common problem and you have to wait it out to open the door. Apparently they over-engineered the seal on the door.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
I have a Sears ColdSpot chest freezer that I bought used in 2005. ColdSpot is the name Sears used before Kenmore. I believe it was built in the late 60s but is still going strong.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
I think it's all hit and miss these days. I do have a 2011 LG refrigerator still rocking it. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
John Deere and CaseIH would like to chat. Can’t work on anything new that they make. It’s proprietary.
Watching equipment auctions in the Midwest has become like a Barrett Jackson show. The money for older re-furbished lots is insane, and yet probably money well spent since it will outlast this new garbage

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Since most everyone is telling their story, I have a 19 year old GE Profile. I just recently paid About $400 to get it out of the ditch.
It is doing just great, but I thought it was worth the gamble to fix it.
Some of this newer stuff is suspect. Learned that on my washing machine.
Any time I'm buying a clothes washer, I'm getting as few options as possible and I want to use a knob, not pushbutton. And absolutely, no locking lids.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I also have a Whirlpool fridge (about 3-4 years old), and some of the LED lights (5 at the top of the fridge, and 1 in the top of the freezer) went out a few days ago.

Whenever I have a problem with any appliance, I search YT for a "fix-it-yourself" solution. Within 10 minutes, I found this:

This was the exact solution for my fridge. I ordered one LED light to replace the broken one (the other LED lights that were out are on the same circuit as the broken one). That LED light cost me $12.

The LED light was delivered to my house the next day, and it took me about 20 minutes to replace the broken one. Every LED light now works. It was not difficult.

I also search YT for "fix-it-yourself" solutions for car issues. It almost always works for me.

Don't call a repairman. Figure it out and fix it yourself.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It's nice to see that despite our many disagreements about coaches, players, strategies, politics, and whatever else that nothing can bring the Pack together like new appliances and their lack of reliability. We had to buy a new fridge in 2021 and of course, we've had to call about it multiple times. I too will never buy from big box stores again.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I never buy more than the basic Whirlpool stuff. No bells or whistles. Never had issues.

The more computerized, the more shlt breaks.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008

Are you a "heavy" detergent user? This could be factually incorrect, but I swear it's the reason my mother in-law has the same problem (we have an in-law apt in our house). I've witnessed her filling the damn cap to the brim with detergent on several occasions, even after trying to explain to her that high-efficiency (He) means less is more. Then, because the towels are never fully rinsed due copious amounts of leftover detergent, they take ages to dry completely. YMMV.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
I think it's all hit and miss these days. I do have a 2011 LG refrigerator still rocking it. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Say Less Bad Luck GIF by Bridge and Tunnel on EPIX

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I only buy GE refrigerators now. Easy to get parts and work on and not many problems.
GE is actually completely out of the appliance manufacturing world, and has been for awhile.

All they do is buy cheaply produced appliances from a Chinese company (Haier, I believe), and re-badge them.

Suffice to say, their stuff is now also very much shít.

Reactions: Podgy and dog12

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
To get completely domesticated with this topic - Speed Queen washers and dryers. Your thoughts?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
To get completely domesticated with this topic - Speed Queen washers and dryers. Your thoughts?
I saw those at one of the stores when we recently bought ours- I noticed em because of the price.
Overheard a sales guy talking about a 10 year warranty and how they are basically 'industrial' level.
All the models they had looked simple- like what I wanted to buy instead of the fully connected sensi-touch machines we ended up with. They had dials- revolutionary!

Honestly, if they last 12-15 years, that seems totally worth the price.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
My favorite part is how anything that plugs in - no matter how small or inconsequential - now needs bright LED lights and/or loud beeps/chimes/buzzers, none of which can be turned off. It's maddening.
And the one time it needs to beep it doesn’t. Would to have a low beep or chime before ice dumps.
When you laying on couch bout half asleep, it’s an eye opener and messes up a good nap!

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login