QB Controversy

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What Wright adds in the running game is more productive than Will in the passing game. We really need to see how Wright throws to validate that, but our run game is so much better with him in there.
Ain't no controversy. Stop. Wright didn't throw a single pass today. He's a great runner. But if we're running it every damn play, we aren't winning much.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Will gives us a solid short passing game, an immobile QB and average run game, and a spotty downfield passing game.

Wright gives us a dynamic run game being a very mobile QB. However, we don’t know anything about his passing ability. If he can give us a serviceable short passing game, how do you not give him more snaps. That’s a big “if” though. I’m not calling for a QB change yet, but I really want to see what Wright gives us in the passing game. He deserves a few full drives.

Reactions: 60sdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
4 year starter with a host of records and not one receiver close to sniffing the NFL needs to sit cause the backup didn't throw a single pass but had a good game running the ball against a Southland Conference team. Maybe I'll wait a couple of games before reaching that conclusion. But, Wright did look good. He's gonna be useful.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
4 year starter with a host of records and not one receiver close to sniffing the NFL needs to sit cause the backup didn't throw a single pass but had a good game running the ball against a Southland Conference team. Maybe I'll wait a couple of games before reaching that conclusion. But, Wright did look good. He's gonna be useful.
Most of Will’s passing yards are YAC.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Wills also not close to sniffing the nfl. Not from what I saw today. If he can't light up an fcs school running a pro offense, he won't get an nfl call

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The energy of the team visibly spiked when Wright took over.

Everything else aside, Rogers is simply not a great leader. He’s a face painter.

View attachment 396825
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
That pass back to Will and a quick launch downfield is always a possibility. Could work once or twice.

Sep 4, 2012
Wills also not close to sniffing the nfl. Not from what I saw today. If he can't light up an fcs school running a pro offense, he won't get an nfl call
The only NFL interested in Will Rogers is the national facepainting league.

I’d be less antagonistic towards Rogers if he ever lifted something heavier than a stick of eye black. But he still looks like his legs will buckle from a loud fart in the grandstands.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
What Wright adds in the running game is more productive than Will in the passing game. We really need to see how Wright throws to validate that, but our run game is so much better with him in there.
That’s a load of bull. He added 95 yards and no scores. We already have a nice group of guys that can run the ball. If he can’t throw then he is a gimmick at best. Toss him in occasionally to get a first down with a chance at a lucky TD.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
The only NFL interested in Will Rogers is the national facepainting league.

I’d be less antagonistic towards Rogers if he ever lifted something heavier than a stick of eye black. But he still looks like his legs will buckle from a loud fart in the grandstands
Are you antagonistic toward Tulu and Walley and Wright? I’m not a leg expert, but they all have skinny legs. Will hasn’t been injured either. I personally think most of our team needs to work on their biceps though. C’mone Jett Johnson do some curls***

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
There’s no controversy. Will had a really bad game, but he’s the starter. He’ll be better as the season goes on.
That's what we thought last year too. Fool me once. He's a paper tiger who has some flashes of good games. His stats are padded because of the attempts. If he can't sling it against fcs in a pro style I doubt his ability to going forward. It's not gonna get easier.
That’s a load of bull. He added 95 yards and no scores. We already have a nice group of guys that can run the ball. If he can’t throw then he is a gimmick at best. Toss him in occasionally to get a first down with a chance at a lucky TD.
he got no scores because we didn't put him in during the redzone. All but one of our big plays today included wright on the field. He gives us that ability more often.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
That's what we thought last year too. Fool me once. He's a paper tiger who has some flashes of good games. His stats are padded because of the attempts. If he can't sling it against fcs in a pro style I doubt his ability to

he got no scores because we didn't put him in during the redzone. All but one of our big plays today included wright on the field. He gives us that ability more often.
So he’s a situational running QB. Neat. Let’s see him try to read a defense and make some passes in this offense with all that pre-snap movement. If he can’t throw he can’t be the every down QB.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Actually Creed’s long TD run was with Wright in the game. That play doesn’t happen with Will in the game because no one’s watching the QB in that situation.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
E
Actually Creed’s long TD run was with Wright in the game. That play doesn’t happen with Will in the game because no one’s watching the QB in that situation.
xactly. Nobody is scared of will running or marks. They aren't scared of wills arm beating you down field neither. They can stay in the box. Marks snd Wright together that does give them something to think about. Mike may not be able throw that well but his ability to run makes the deep ball more achievable because the dbs are all watching the run. When will is in the game. They only worry about marks running .we also got better push from the line with wright in and he helped mask some of it by breaking tackles. If wright could throw even a little to get to 50-60 percent and 15 completions I think that makes us more dynamic on offense. Most of that 300 Rushing came with wright in the game. I'm just saying this offense and team will be better off when we have one qb that can do both. Until then it isn't reaching its potential

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That's what we thought last year too. Fool me once. He's a paper tiger who has some flashes of good games. His stats are padded because of the attempts. If he can't sling it against fcs in a pro style I doubt his ability to going forward. It's not gonna get easier.

So... You can only score if you're in the red zone. Gotcha.

Some of our fans would feel better if they took some Miralax daily.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So... You can only score if you're in the red zone. Gotcha.

Some of our fans would feel better if they took some Miralax daily.
I shitt just fine thank you.

the point I was making is that he was not given as many opportunities to score not being in the game in the red zone. Their is a reason they call it the redzone. He got no opportunities to throw. So no chance for a td pass. He never got a snap with in 25 yards so he would have had to break a big one. He did but our receiver turn to look instead of block. Creed busted the big one with him in too because all eyes were on Mike.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
I’m not rereading the thread, but I don’t think anyone’s calling for a QB change. We’re simply saying with Wright in the game our run game is very dynamic, where as it’s far more predictable with Will. We want to see what Wright can do passing to see how productive his offense can be. I will say his stats posted above aren’t nearly as bad as I expected.

Will’s offense is mostly screens and check downs with the occasional pass over 10 - 15 yards. I feel like that’s a doable plan for weaker passer.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
There's a QB controversy? On a message board? After only one game? Really? What will the Arnett do? How is he going to handle this?

Reactions: Ranchdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login