Question about how long of a leash do you give Lebby?...

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
He will probably get at least three years, but we will know the verdict by mid year 2025. Lebby can also hope against hope that the SEC schedule maker (***LT still 17'ing us?***) is a little more kind to us for 2026/2027 than they were for 2024/2025.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
He will probably get at least three years, but we will know the verdict by mid year 2025. Lebby can also hope against hope that the SEC schedule maker (***LT still 17'ing us?***) is a little more kind to us for 2026/2027 than they were for 2024/2025.
Problem is next year won't do any favors in regards to wins and losses. All the "winnable" games are on the road (Arkansas, A&M, Florida, Missouri). Ole Miss will take a step back next year with or without Kiffin - just depends on how far they go back. We could improve in 2025 but it might not be reflected in the win column.

Edit to add - I hope it is reflected in the win column in 2025 b/c we aren't winning more than 2 games this year.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
DC needs to be addressed after the season at the latest, and immediately if possible.

As for Lebby, I hate say it, but I agree with the posters that say we don't have the luxury of becoming a school with a quick trigger on firing. Moorehead was an exception, to me at least. At this point how many former coaches can we afford to pay per season?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We will not survive three years of this. Next season is the max. We have fired coaches after two years and now with Arnette one year. At this point I think we would have been better off keeping Arnette one more year. Our team suck and his coaching sucking. Football has changed. It should not take three years to build a team.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I am not one for making snap decisions, but our current DC really does need to go. I think his head rolling mid season would at least show us fans Lebby is paying attention.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I refuse to live through Croom 2.0. If he doesn't make any changes to the staff and he doesn't pull some talent out of the portal i will not give any more money. I will not renewal my season ticket. I will walk away from college football until something happens.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think that the first thing that we have to get straight is that no matter how low expectations were for this season. Lebby has failed to meet every one of them. The staff that he assembled is highly suspect, portal recruiting was a giant whiff, his offense isn’t clicking, and the defense is an utter train wreck. He wanted to end the year with fans knowing that we had the right guy in charge, and that flat out isn’t happening.

So at this point, I’d say that it’s likely that he gets 3 years, but he absolutely has to show something next season. Firing the mistakes that he hired, recruiting, and winning games are all good options for that, but that $8m gift isn’t going to mean a damn thing to anybody if we keep getting results like this for another year. If none of this happens in ‘25, he has to be 2 and done

patdog

May 28, 2007
This and next. We'll figure out if he can coach by then
I'm afraid we already know. It's not so much the 1-3 record as it is the complete lack of preparation or effort we've shown. That's something that should be in place game 1 if your coach is any good at all. It was obvious when Jackie took over, it was obvious when Mullen took over, and it was obvious when Leach took over. This looks a lot more like Arnett, Croom or Felker.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm afraid we already know. It's not so much the 1-3 record as it is the complete lack of preparation or effort we've shown. That's something that should be in place game 1 if your coach is any good at all. It was obvious when Jackie took over, it was obvious when Mullen took over, and it was obvious when Leach took over. This looks a lot more like Arnett, Croom or Felker.
You're right we do. This IS another failure hire. We may get more outta him if we can Salmon Nov 30 and Lenny doesn't have his homie to fall back on.

Reactions: patdog

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
We will not survive three years of this. Next season is the max. We have fired coaches after two years and now with Arnette one year. At this point I think we would have been better off keeping Arnette one more year. Our team suck and his coaching sucking. Football has changed. It should not take three years to build a team.
Definitely. Teams are rebuilding with portal in one year, see Arkansas this year and compare them to last year. Then look at their portal class and staff changes.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Lebby’s an outside dog. You chip him & let him run loose in the South Farm for a while and don’t worry about him being leashed. **

Reactions: 85Bears

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
No… it’s much, much worse than 2006.

Man, this time next year we could be twice as good as we are now and still only win 3 games.

It really is that bad.
When the powers see how few ppl show up in Oct and Nov....that leash will get 1 year length. Salmon needs to go day after Egg Bowl rape

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
First of all, State will survive. Ark, USC, UK and VU have survived on less than 10 wins in three season.

Kentucky won 2 games in 2012 and 7 total games in Mark Stoops first two years of 2013 and 2014.

Arkansas, Pittman won 3 games In 2020, 5 the next and broke .500 in 2022, losing in 23 but trending up in 24.

Lou Holtz went 0-11 in his first year at USC. 8-4 the next

Vandy, Clark went 2-10 his first year, 5-7 the next and is trending up this year.

I just hope Lebby is a quick study.

Last edited:

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Man, I don't know. I liked the hire. But, hell, I thought Arnett would do more than stand on the sideline with a scowl on his face last season. So, wtf do I know?

Lebby needs to start lighting a fire under the players and the coaches. Chew some 17ing azz, man. Show some passion at least. Complete resignation should get his azz fired after 1 year. Nobody said it was going to be easy.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I think he's getting at least 3 years regardless. So take the lumps this year and next season and hope by year 3 we are back at 6+ wins.
I think that sounds about right. He will need to upgrade some of the coaching staff, mostly on D. Recruiting seems to be going surprisingly well, given the results on the field.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
All this after the “easy” part of our schedule to boot

Reactions: patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I think we really have to commit to this hire since we fired Moorhead and Arnett so quick.

So Lebby gets three years regardless. Maybe even a 4th.... depends on if we have an AD clever enough to work the back channels and can have an educated idea of the interest level of the job at that point. If you have a good pool of interested candidates, pull the trigger. If you don't.... ride it another year.

In other words, before State fires another coach, State better have a good candidate ready to go.

Reactions: 3407Dewey

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I think he's getting at least 3 years regardless. So take the lumps this year and next season and hope by year 3 we are back at 6+ wins.
I think it's a 2.5 year time frame for him. If we chalk up 2-10 this year and then 4-8 or 5-7 next year, then we go into 2026 as his make or break year. If we near October 2026 and are trending toward another 4 or 5 win season, then I think he will get capped mid-season. From that point on, it might still be week to week for him, keeping open the possibility that he gets the Arnett special and is replaced late in the season before the 2026 Egg Bowl. If he makes it through the 2026 season still employed, then he's got a decent shot at being the coach in 2027.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Jury is still out and you have to have insider knowledge to understand if he’s in over his head or not.

For example if really like to know what sold him on his defensive staff. Did he make a rookie mistake of going off someone’s recommendation or was that totally his call and his choice?

I really think Arnett got some terrible advice from multiple people as his demeanor just changed too much.

Easy to do as a first time coach. Mullen was just arrogant enough that something like that wasn’t a problem for him. But if he thought he made a mistake on dc he tried something else immediately.

Lebby is going to have to fix the staff first and then get the players