Question About the Last Pass of the Game

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've always said the stadium is the absolute worst place to watch a game. The last throw of the game, I'm assuming that was Will and Sawyer came in the next play? If so, why not bring Sawyer in a play earlier and let him make that throw? As the old saying goes, "the back up QB is always one play away."

Last edited:

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I was also wondering why Will was still in, someone commented “doesn’t matter, we are handing it off” , then the pass you speak of. In retrospect, he was close to 400yds. Can’t tell me that didn’t have something to do with it.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I've always said the stadium is the absolute worst place to watch a game. The last throw of the game, I'm assuming that was Will and Sawyer came in the next play? If so, why not bring Sawyer in a play earlier and let him make that throw? As the old saying goes, "the back up QB is always one play away."
Is this going to be a thing every game?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Obsessed GIF

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
WTF is this obsession with the backup QB? Who gives a **** who threw the last pass of the game? I think it's pretty clear who our QB is by now.
idiot, no one is questioning who QB 1 is. I didn't see who threw the last pass, but looking at the box score I didn't see Sawyer with any throws, so wanted to verify that. Every back up is important, but the back up QB is the most important. The response that we may have been trying to get Will 400 yards is perfectly acceptable and I have not problem with it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
idiot, no one is questioning who QB 1 is. I didn't see who threw the last pass, but looking at the box score I didn't see Sawyer with any throws, so wanted to verify that. Every back up is important, but the back up QB is the most important. The response that we may have been trying to get Will 400 yards is perfectly acceptable and I have not problem with it.
And I’m sure Leach is aware of that and is developing the backup as much as he can. But throwing him into garbage time situations isn’t going to make a bit of difference in how ready he is if he’s needed. When he’s ready to play, he’ll play.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
And I’m sure Leach is aware of that and is developing the backup as much as he can. But throwing him into garbage time situations isn’t going to make a bit of difference in how ready he is if he’s needed. When he’s ready to play, he’ll play.
Leach knows much more than any of us about developing football players, my curiosity was why have Will throw that pass at that time, with time running down and the game well in hand. Getting 400 yards is a good explanation. I remember Mullen did not let a RB who had 197 or so yards get 200 (Josh Robinson?), and I don't think it sat well with the RB.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
All I know is we are a Will Rogers Injury away from a disaster and I wanna feel more confident someone can come in and 1/2 assed fill his shoes if need be.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
All I know is we are a Will Rogers Injury away from a disaster and I wanna feel more confident someone can come in and 1/2 assed fill his shoes if need be.
Garbage time throws won’t prepare him to step into a hostile stadium while trailing in the middle of the second quarter. Making fans happy is certainly part of head coaching success but this is an issue that probably needs to be laid to rest.

Reactions: operch

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Maybe Robinson was a little more petulant than Rogers.
No doubt, but it was classic a-hole Mullen. 2014 Tiger Stadium. Josh is from Louisian but they did not recruit him at all. Josh had 197 yards rushing, by about the end of the 3rd quarter, I think. He wants to get to 200. Mullen says he should’ve run harder with his previous carries if he wanted 200. This is all internet rumor from that time.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I dunno, I just think I’m glad we got mostly Max Johnson week before last because had King played that whole game, it would have been a different game for Dawgs. He looked good what little he did play and he played very well against bama Saturday. He gonna be a little sore this week tho.

IMPP

Sep 30, 2022
Will was sitting on 365 yards. He gets one more shot at 400. He gets single coverage on the outside and Mosley runs under it. If Will would have lifted it about one more yard, highly possible we score.
I like it.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I've been wondering why we don't get Sawyer some valuable game reps in our blowouts. We've had games well in hand and Sawyer didn't come on until the last drive, maybe 2 drives.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
No doubt, but it was classic a-hole Mullen. 2014 Tiger Stadium. Josh is from Louisian but they did not recruit him at all. Josh had 197 yards rushing, by about the end of the 3rd quarter, I think. He wants to get to 200. Mullen says he should’ve run harder with his previous carries if he wanted 200. This is all internet rumor from that time.
I kind of remember this, but I also remember there being an exchange from Robinson to Mullen on the sideline holding up 3 fingers to show he only needed 3 more yards and Mullen basically saying "if you really want it, I'll call one in", but I think they ended up just taking a knee.

That might have been a different game though.

I dunno... I feel like Mullen and Josh Robinson had kind of an interesting relationship.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Sawyer is not playing. Get over it.

In 2018, Minshew threw for nearly 4800 yards and 38 TDs. His backups had 15 pass attempts TOTAL for the season.

The following year, Anthony Gordon who had 5 of those pass attempts the previous year, had better numbers than Minshew. He threw for 5579 yards and 48 TDs. His backups that season? 17 pass attempts.

Those 5 passes in 2018 propelled him to a monster 2019!!! 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

Reactions: sfnsfn

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Garbage time throws won’t prepare him to step into a hostile stadium while trailing in the middle of the second quarter. Making fans happy is certainly part of head coaching success but this is an issue that probably needs to be laid to rest.
Wait, what? You're smarter than that. Any and all reps, practice, mental, garbage time, etc., help. There's a ton on QBs, getting the play in, communicating, making adjustments, reading defenses, getting the offense set, putting receivers in motion, etc. Any real game action, including, passing, handing off and even kneeling down to run out the clock helps a great deal. I had no idea of the complexities of the position until I coached pee wee football with a former college QB. I knew there was a lot to playing QB, but it was much more to it than I thought I knew.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
So this is what it’s come to. I guess State fans can’t ever be truly happy. We always have to have something to complain about. Since there really isn’t anything to complain about right now, it’s come down to our backup quarterback not getting enough snaps in garbage time. Oh boy.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It was Kentucky later that year. Mullen did a wonderful job motivating the kid if that was his intention... he sucked balls after that. Think he scored maybe 1 TD after having a huge first half of the season. It was like someone flipped a switch off after the KY game

https://apnews.com/article/c6ea7ccb824f4efe954df99c756f047d

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — On the cusp of his first 200-yard rushing game, Mississippi State junior running back Josh Robinson pleaded with coach Dan Mullen for one more carry.

Mullen’s matter-of-fact response could motivate Robinson, who finished with a career-best 198-yard, two-touchdown performance in the top-ranked Bulldogs’ wild 45-31 victory on Saturday.

“He had 203 yards and lost five and he was yelling at me when we were in the victory formation because he was 2 yards away,” Mullen said. “I told him he should’ve got 2 yards earlier in the game. He had 59 minutes to get that done, but he’s done a great job of running the football for us all season long and making some big plays.”

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Sawyer is not playing. Get over it.

In 2018, Minshew threw for nearly 4800 yards and 38 TDs. His backups had 15 pass attempts TOTAL for the season.

The following year, Anthony Gordon who had 5 of those pass attempts the previous year, had better numbers than Minshew. He threw for 5579 yards and 48 TDs. His backups that season? 17 pass attempts.

Those 5 passes in 2018 propelled him to a monster 2019!!! 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

It drives me crazy that more coaches don't try to get key backups playing time and experience. Like in basketball if you have a younger player that you know is likely to be part of the rotation next, it always seemed stupid to me to sub him in in the last minute with the scrubs. Give him a chance to work with starters and get a flavor of a real game rather than putting him out there with scrubs.

But I am guessing Leach just doesn't think game time snaps are that important compared to the volume of repetition you get in practice (or maybe he thinks Will and his receivers are still improving with more live repetitions?). So I'm not worried about the lack of development of Sawyers, but I do hope Leach is cognizant of the reality that he needs to keep QBs happy enough that they don't transfer out. Asking someone to sit for two (or even three years) for two years of potential playing time is already a big ask. Not even letting a backup get some series in garbage time makes it that much bigger.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
It drives me crazy that more coaches don't try to get key backups playing time and experience. Like in basketball if you have a younger player that you know is likely to be part of the rotation next, it always seemed stupid to me to sub him in in the last minute with the scrubs. Give him a chance to work with starters and get a flavor of a real game rather than putting him out there with scrubs.

But I am guessing Leach just doesn't think game time snaps are that important compared to the volume of repetition you get in practice (or maybe he thinks Will and his receivers are still improving with more live repetitions?). So I'm not worried about the lack of development of Sawyers, but I do hope Leach is cognizant of the reality that he needs to keep QBs happy enough that they don't transfer out. Asking someone to sit for two (or even three years) for two years of potential playing time is already a big ask. Not even letting a backup get some series in garbage time makes it that much bigger.
Bryce Young’s backups had 24 pass attempts last season. Do you remember Burrow’s backup playing “meaningful” snaps? CJ Stroud has more passing TDs than Will. He’s not sitting to get some backup scrub meaningful snaps.

Coaches are paid to win not get Johnny Benchwarmer meaningful snaps.

if your backup QB needs reps then your starter most likely sucks. We already had about 100 years of that. No thanks.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I've been wondering why we don't get Sawyer some valuable game reps in our blowouts. We've had games well in hand and Sawyer didn't come on until the last drive, maybe 2 drives.
This. Sawyer coming in during a blowout throwing passes would not be unsportsmanlike as it would be common knowledge Leach would only be making sure he has a reliable backup if Will goes down. I'm sure Leach knows more about this than me but I, as a fan, would feel more comfortable knowing we have a reliable backup should that become neccessary. Anybody on the inside know if Sawyer is getting good reps and looking reliable in practice these days? Is he a QB that could throw in an additional element with legs that could give us some QB rushing yards?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I think everyone is burying the lead. Look at Arkansas, Kentucky, and Alabama this week. Lose QB1 and your a shell of yourself. We don't need Will getting HURT during garbage time. I don't care who he puts in, but get the QB1 out of that game. Has nothing to do with Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn getting playing time.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
From his first appearance, at least we have now learned that if Will goes down we punt immediately so that the Texan can start on 1st down.***

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Bryce Young’s backups had 24 pass attempts last season. Do you remember Burrow’s backup playing “meaningful” snaps? CJ Stroud has more passing TDs than Will. He’s not sitting to get some backup scrub meaningful snaps.

Coaches are paid to win not get Johnny Benchwarmer meaningful snaps.

if your backup QB needs reps then your starter most likely sucks. We already had about 100 years of that. No thanks.
Is somebody arguing for Sawyer to get meaningful snaps? I don't think anybody is arguing that Will should be benched before garbage time. I'm not even arguing that he should be benched in garbage time. I just noted that I'm surprised that more coaches at the college level don't think it's worth getting key backups experience; but that's not only not just a Leach thing, it's not even just a football thing, which is why I referenced basketball.

And I pointed out that I hope it doesn't frustrate our QB room that they don't even get garbage playing time. But just a quick control "f" is not showing anybody arguing for Sawyer to get meaningful snaps.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login