tired

Sep 16, 2013
Pete Rose Sport GIF by WWE

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: drexeldog23

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I hated that SOB when he was playing but as I got older I grew to appreciate the way he played the game and the passion he had for it. I met Pete in Las Vegas a few years ago. I had no idea he was there but saw him sitting there at a table by himself as I passed a store in the Mandalay Bay. I had to go in there. It was very early for Las Vegas (around 9:00 or so) and I was the only customer in the store. I purchased my item and got him to sign it. He was very pleasant and cordial and asked me to take a seat. We chit chatted for a few minutes. I asked him if he hated Gene Garbor for striking him out and ending his 44 game hitting streak. He laughingly said, "I hated him way before that". I then asked him what pitcher was the hardest for him to hit. His answer, "Randy Jones of the San Diego Padres". Jones was a soft tossing lefty. Wasn't the answer I expected considering he started playing in 1963 and faced the likes of Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal, Steve Carlton, Sandy Koufax, etc. RIP to the toughest SOB to ever strap on a pair of cleats.

Last edited:

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
back in the 70's when i was a little kid Baseball was my favorite sport and the Cincinnati Reds were my favorite pro team.. Johnny Bench was my favorite player though.. my dad only got 1 week of vacation time and i remember him using that to take the family to Houston to see the Astros vs the Reds.

Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I read an article that Rose used to go to batting Cages and set the pitching machine to 100 mph and hold the barrel of the bat under his eye and let the ball hit the small end of the bat and drop to the ground like a pool cue. I couldn’t do that.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
back in the 70's when i was a little kid Baseball was my favorite sport and the Cincinnati Reds were my favorite pro team.. Johnny Bench was my favorite player though.. my dad only got 1 week of vacation time and i remember him using that to take the family to Houston to see the Astros vs the Reds.
I might have been there. 1970/71 saw the Reds vs Astros in the dome.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login