Reed Timmer with an incredible tornado intercept

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That was amazing. The thing on this one to me is it seemed the nader stayed in the same vicinity for a while instead of speedily moving on. But I may be wrong on that.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
That was amazing. The thing on this one to me is it seemed the nader stayed in the same vicinity for a while instead of speedily moving on. But I may be wrong on that.
Looked to me like that MFer did the equivalent of a parking lot donut. Looked like it looped back around and almost got behind the chase vehicle. Sumbitch looked evil.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Funny video of Festus explaining "Twisties". Ken Curtis was a professional singer prior to acting but y'all may not like his singing (I kinda dig it) but after he finishes he goes into "Twisties".

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
It was only moving around 20mph and not the 60mph were used to here. It was also multi vortex. So there were several satellite tornadoes rotating around the main funnel. That's why you see damage where one house is destroyed and the one next to it didn't even get a shingle blown off.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Wow, y'all are probably the only MSU fans that can watch one of our games without an elevated blood pressure!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It was only moving around 20mph and not the 60mph were used to here. It was also multi vortex. So there were several satellite tornadoes rotating around the main funnel. That's why you see damage where one house is destroyed and the one next to it didn't even get a shingle blown off.
I am may be wrong, but it seem like it took that moment to really ramp up in intensity, and they happened to be in the wrong place when it started expanding, getting wider, and dropping multiple vertices. If they hadn't had Reed's experience, there's no telling what would've happened to them.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

He gets way too close to the storms. That one seemed to be really moving slow. Multiple vortices, but the seemed to be separated instead of around a parent rotation.

I was watching TWC at the time and it looked nasty on radar. Is that the one that was rated at EF-3?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
He gets way too close to the storms. That one seemed to be really moving slow. Multiple vortices, but the seemed to be separated instead of around a parent rotation.

I was watching TWC at the time and it looked nasty on radar. Is that the one that was rated at EF-3?
I doubt they've got an official rating yet. It usually takes them a day or two to complete the surveys. They have done a preliminary rating, though. I'm not sure.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I doubt they've got an official rating yet. It usually takes them a day or two to complete the surveys. They have done a preliminary rating, though. I'm not sure.

Preliminary EF-3 in Cole, EF-2 in Shawnee. https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-cole-tornado-damage-ef3/43658714

Just saw a time lapse of the various storms they had yesterday in that area on TWC, and it was pretty interesting. At one time, one of the cyclings was moving toward the NW. It wasn't necessarily the same tornado, but appeared to be the same parent storm.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Preliminary EF-3 in Cole, EF-2 in Shawnee. https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-cole-tornado-damage-ef3/43658714

Just saw a time lapse of the various storms they had yesterday in that area on TWC, and it was pretty interesting. At one time, one of the cyclings was moving toward the NW. It wasn't necessarily the same tornado, but appeared to be the same parent storm.
They all made hard left turns. We were actually just discussing that on our team chat page. WTVA weather guru Matt Laubhan was discussing what makes them hang hard lefts or rights.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
He’s damn good at intercepting storms, but too many people are trying to get this close to the storm for the shot.
This. He makes it look easy, but he's had some extremely close calls himself. But too many people want their 15 minutes of fame and are willing to risk their lives for that footage. With the number of people chasing now, a lot of whom have no business being out there, it's just a matter of when, and not if, somebody else gets killed.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He's loud but he's good. This video shows his experience. He doesn't get lost in what's in front of him. He keeps his focus and keeps trying to find the left and the right side of that tornado plus the direction of the wind so he knows where he needs to move to in order to be safe. Someone else might have stayed right where he was when the car first stopped and got blown away.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
This. He makes it look easy, but he's had some extremely close calls himself. But too many people want their 15 minutes of fame and are willing to risk their lives for that footage. With the number of people chasing now, a lot of whom have no business being out there, it's just a matter of when, and not if, somebody else gets killed.
One of the Weather Channel guys got caught up in one several years ago. Mike Slidell maybe?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
One of the Weather Channel guys got caught up in one several years ago. Mike Slidell maybe?
That was Mike Bettes. He got hit by the El Reno monster. It was 2.5 miles wide and changed made a hard left turn. Also the same tornado that killed Tim Samaras, his son, and their chase partner.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login