RIP Dave Nichol

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Do you happen to know what type? If it was extremely fast you wonder if it was pancreatic. **** cancer

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Not sure. First article I read mentioned he was fighting cancer. They didn’t specify.

Aug 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/hailstatefb/status/1507501865801555976?s=21&t=Lr7KUk9wpC2uBwdH5yMv0A

Former Mississippi State Football coach Dave Nichol passed away suddenly today.

Damn that sucks. He and Spurrier were my two favorites to see interviewed because they kind of leveled with the guys asking questions and tried to tone down the coach speak.

Hate that for his family. Might put some perspective on why leach skipped pro day if he had an opportunity to visit. But I doubt anyone will publicly say anything about that and it could also simply not be the case.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
In a statement, MSU head coach Mike Leach said Nichol had a sudden battle "with a number of health issues." The Athletic's Bruce Feldman reported it was a battle with cancer.

"He made everyone around him a better person and impacted everyone he met with kindness, loyalty and friendship," Leach wrote. "He meant a lot to me as well as countless others, and I will forever be grateful to have had him in my life for the last 22 years... Dave is gone way too soon. We have lost an amazing friend, coach and all-around great guy. Rest in peace, my friend. We miss you already."

Nichol spent two seasons at Mississippi State on Leach's staff before leaving this offseason to coach at Southern California. He was part of Leach's staff for four seasons at Washington State and three years at Texas Tech.

A native of Chicago, Nichol attended Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas (Texas) before enrolling at Texas Tech. He earned his Bachelor's degree from Texas Tech in 1999 before earning his masters three years later.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login