Rumor: New Uni Unveling Incoming

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
haha, dude do you go anywhere or listen to sports radio outside of MS? I listen to a good bit from around the SE and we are almost always called State, rarely hear Mississippi State.
That's interesting. I live outside of MS and in SEC country and almost never hear anyone (other than my family) refer to us as State. Always Mississippi State. Maybe it just depends on the region.
Outside of SEC country, if you tell someone that you went to State, they are absolutely clueless which state.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
That's interesting. I live outside of MS and in SEC country and almost never hear anyone (other than my family) refer to us as State. Always Mississippi State. Maybe it just depends on the region.
Outside of SEC country, if you tell someone that you went to State, they are absolutely clueless which state.
I’d agree - outside the SEC - it’s not as known. But who cares - inside the SEC is what runs football.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Put me down as another who wants STATE across the jersey, too. Don't stop with just State-branding the helmet.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Put me down as another who wants STATE across the jersey, too. Don't stop with just State-branding the helmet.
I like the block state on the Jersey, but it would probably look weird with a cursive state on the helmets. We’d look like the font drop down menu in MS word.

• Haha
Reactions: bolddogge

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I like the block state on the Jersey, but it would probably look weird with a cursive state on the helmets. We’d look like the font drop down menu in MS word.
Only need a big “State” on the helmet or jersey in whatever the chosen font may be. If it’s already clearly legible doesn’t need to be overdone and be on both in my opinion

Deltaduckhunter

Feb 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion, but I think we need consistency in our branding. Many of the SEC teams have branding that has been around for decades. I'm fine with a game or two with alternative logos. If we change too often, we can't expect the rest of the country to really recognize who we are.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think many are missing the point here, that the State branding is really just for sports, mainly football. The script State probably won't go much further than helmets and a baseball jersey.

These are permanent: https://brand.msstate.edu/identity/#:~:text=The official university signature consists,with the M-State symbol.

Way too much money was spent on that for us to ever change it. Those logos will still be on most things.

I mean the M over S is still there for baseball, and nobody cares about that.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think many are missing the point here, that the State branding is really just for sports, mainly football. The script State probably won't go much further than helmets and a baseball jersey.

These are permanent: https://brand.msstate.edu/identity/#:~:text=The official university signature consists,with the M-State symbol.

Way too much money was spent on that for us to ever change it. Those logos will still be on most things.

MState looks good on hard copy documents, just not on uniforms.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
MState looks good on hard copy documents, just not on uniforms.
I think it looks good on basketball uniforms, and on the court/50-yard line. And I also don't mind the M-State logo on like football pants and things like that. I personally don't think we need set football uniforms. Change it up as much as Adidas wants to, it's not like we have tradition (except losing and uh, changing uniforms constantly).

And while we're at this, 'Hail State' is here to stay, and should be.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Looks like Mississippi State University has a new commercial. Starkvegas and Starkville are being eliminated....

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

here is the OFFICIAL MSU maroon color for those that wonder

1689692085487.png

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
We didn't have an SEC network back then. Or Twitter. Or really much of an internet compared to today.
Correct. But he is wrong regardless. Mullen's first year there was a big fashion show unveiling the new uniforms and tweaked MState logo. The players were on a stage in front of the Barnes and Noble. It was covered here and genes page etc etc.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you are a script State fan or a Banner M-State hater I think you’ll be pleased. A photo has already leaked out on another site.
A poster on ED states we should brand ourselves simply as "Mississippi." He alleges that in AL, we're referred to a "Mississippi" as much as we are "State" and TV commentators refer to us as "Mississippi."

Good gosh almighty.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I see 5 adidas logo's in that picture, 5 of their Euro 3 stripes but only 1 reference to MSU and it isn't even a font we'd used before or since. That is the kind of crap that makes me despise them. There's probably another couple logos on the back of the helmet too. 17 those douches

patdog

May 28, 2007
A poster on ED states we should brand ourselves simply as "Mississippi." He alleges that in AL, we're referred to a "Mississippi" as much as we are "State" and TV commentators refer to us as "Mississippi."

Good gosh almighty.
Yeah, I'm calling bullsh** on us being referred to as Mississippi by anyone. What an idiot.

Reactions: bolddogge

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I've lived in several different states. My experience so far when people reference or hear the reference State

South Carolina - many actually think Mississippi State but a good amount still go with NC State
North Carolina - NC State only
Virginia - NC State only
Nebraska - Iowa State most of the time
Michigan - Michigan State only
Ohio - Michigan State only (no one in Ohio thinks or says State when talking about Ohio State)
For some odd reason, MSU fans think we are the only "State". Travel across the country and you'll hear most fans call their state school "State". It's very common.

For the record, I'm fine doing too. I've done it most of my life.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For some odd reason, MSU fans think we are the only "State". Travel across the country and you'll hear most fans call their state school "State". It's very common.

For the record, I'm fine doing too. I've done it most of my life.
This got me thinking. These are the "State" schools that really matter in football I'll list them in order:

TOSU
LSU
FSU or PSU
these three are pretty close:
Us, Mich State and Ok State
up next are:
NC State
Kansas State
Iowa State

Who did I miss? Who is out of order?

patdog

May 28, 2007
This got me thinking. These are the "State" schools that really matter in football I'll list them in order:

TOSU
LSU
FSU or PSU
up next are:
NC State
Kansas State
Iowa State

Arizona St. - grouped with us, the other MSU and OSU

Grouped with NCSU, KSU & ISU:
Oregon St.
Washington St.,

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

TOSU
LSU
FSU or PSU
up next are:
NC State
Kansas State
Iowa State

Here is the general trend I’ve noticed around here. In the panhandle it’s mostly Bama, FSU second, Florida, third and probably LSU/AU fourth for number of fans.
My FSU friends call them FSU, and it seems the longer I have known them they started calling us State around me. They are all pretty in tuned college sports fans.
Bama fans I know call us State around here.
Florida fans call us Mississippi State.
AU/LSU mostly call us Mississippi State but I do know a few that call us State.
Side note, one of my FSU friends is named Chris White and every opening day I send him the Chri White, He Ready Ready video.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The Good Lord gives me a baseball season of misery and then blesses me for my fortitude and faith with excellent news like this... Wait a minute, this sounds more like the handiwork of @Lucifer Morningstar
How many times do I have to say this I am a State fan? I hated baseball season more than anybody given it was a bought EA create a team that won while smelling like 17ing corn dogs meanwhile we looked hot garbage. In terms of the uni’s I have seen worst. But please remember all dawg fans I am on your side it takes balls to be State fan.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

TOSU
LSU
FSU or PSU
up next are:
NC State
Kansas State
Iowa State

How many are using or referred to as simply State with specific Font? Are they attempting to do so?

It may not work but it is bold.

Aug 3, 2011

I feel like you are correct on this here.

I also think many people are way overestimating any impact that rebranding to “State” will or won’t have in different regions of the country where there is another state school. People in those other regions simply don’t think of us now. And outside of doing something just to go viral, they won’t be thinking about us going forward.

The only branding that matters is winning games. Win playoff games consistently and they will call us and recognize us by whatever we want. If we aren’t relevant nationally then it really doesn’t matter because nobody in those regions have any reason to think of us beyond the “oh yeah, that school.”

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Exactly aero.

Also, I think that the whole "branding as &tate." Is nothing more than buzz words to the masses to drum up support for a baseball logo on the football uniform.

Because this is nothing more than &elmon and the marketing team pushing another logo forward to create more merchandise sells.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login