Scott Rolen to Cooperstown…

Blldawg87

May 24, 2013
I grew up playing baseball in Indiana. He was part of a special group at Jasper High School in Indiana....great place to play, even today.

Loved playing the payoffs in Jasper.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
They really have to start letting the steroid guys in or something... Rolen and McGriff were good players in their era, but HOF... Pffft.

Just dont let anyone in if you are going to put in guys that were usually the 3rd or 4th best players on their roster. Dale Murphy was better in his era than Rolen or McGriff were in theirs...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
They really have to start letting the steroid guys in or something... Rolen and McGriff were good players in their era, but HOF... Pffft.

They might need special (dare I say Affirmative Action?) elections just for the Steroid Guys.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Just dont let anyone in if you are going to put in guys that were usually the 3rd or 4th best players on their roster. Dale Murphy was better in his era than Rolen or McGriff were in theirs...
McGriff wasn’t a steroid user.

Scott Rolen was one of the best third baseman in the league throughout his career. 8 Gold Gloves.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
How many people have 8 gold gloves?

Gold gloves are extremely subjective too. Using a solid actual metric like DWAR, Rolen is 45th in MLB history. 3rd basemen Buddy Bell and Graig Nettles are both ahead of him and not in the hall of fame. Nettles and Bell had the distinct honor of sharing a league with Brooks Robinson for a few years and each other to cost themselves a few Gold Gloves.

Nettles also had 390 career home runs.

Reactions: Travelingdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Gold gloves are extremely subjective too. Using a solid actual metric like DWAR, Rolen is 45th in MLB history. 3rd basemen Buddy Bell and Graig Nettles are both ahead of him and not in the hall of fame. Nettles and Bell had the distinct honor of sharing a league with Brooks Robinson for a few years and each other to cost themselves a few Gold Gloves.

Nettles also had 390 career home runs.
Using a subjective metric for a subjective honor?
Nettles and Bell combined for 8 gold gloves, that ties Rolen. And Rolen gets bonus points for playing for the Cards. Deal with it. Crime dog only got in because he helped those teams win back to back to back AAU national championships.

**I was surprised to see Rolen got in.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Keith Hernandez. 200 million times more HOF worthy than Scott Rolen.
Scott Rolens voting numbers are rather odd. He went from barely making the threshold to stay on the ballot to several years later having just barely enough to make the HOF at 76%. What changed for him to suddenly have enough?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Scott Rolens voting numbers are rather odd. He went from barely making the threshold to stay on the ballot to several years later having just barely enough to make the HOF at 76%. What changed for him to suddenly have enough?
It just feels like there's a dearth of non steroid eligible players. I think Billy Wagner is probably the next guy up.

And to be clear, I don't mind Rolen getting in. A case can be made for him. But there's a lot of other dudes that have more compelling cases. I cited one of them in Hernandez.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Keith Hernandez. 200 million times more HOF worthy than Scott Rolen.

To be more precise, 11 gold gloves. Two silver sluggers. One MVP. Two world championships. In the hall of fame of two different organizations. Criminal that he isn't in.
Criminal?

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Rolen was a good player - but he wasn’t a HOF.

Baseball HOF has gotten watered down lately - it should be really hard to get in

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It’s like voters don’t want to go a year without electing anyone so they elect people like Scott Rolen because he’s the best of a mediocre bunch. I mean, come on. He was a very good player, but Hall of Fame? Please.

Reactions: DawgatAuburn

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I apologize that he got in and bruised your ******.
My ******* is beyond bruising... That should be clear by now.

The BBWA are the ultimate dubmasses. They elected Rolen to the HOF, yet the same clowns only voted him in the top 10 of the NL MVP 1 time in his career. 45 other 3B have had at least 2 top 10 MVP finishes.

We should create a Hall of Really Good, But Never Great for players like this. Jeff Kent can join him there.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
My ******* is beyond bruising... That should be clear by now.

The BBWA are the ultimate dubmasses. They elected Rolen to the HOF, yet the same clowns only voted him in the top 10 of the NL MVP 1 time in his career. 45 other 3B have had at least 2 top 10 MVP finishes.

We should create a Hall of Really Good, But Never Great for players like this. Jeff Kent can join him there.
To be fair, they may not the same dubmasses, but yeah, not sure he belongs in the HOF and Hernandez certainly before him. I say that as a semi-Cardinals fan who cheered for him.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
It’s almost like the BBWA is doing this as a 17 you to the players involved in the steroid era. “Sorry Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, Clemens, you’re not getting in. And to rub it in even more, we’re electing guys like Scott Rolen, who had a good, non-steroid controversy career. Now go to the corner and think about what you’ve done.”

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Pro baseball, greater than thou attitude costs them fans all the time. HOF is just another big example of that. They literally say "Screw the fans" like no other sport.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is who I am hoping gets in within the next year or two. Maybe the best to ever play the CF position
Confused Willie Mays GIF by Marc Leone

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I grew up playing baseball in Indiana. He was part of a special group at Jasper High School in Indiana....great place to play, even today.

Loved playing the payoffs in Jasper.
I like that part of Indiana. I'm biased though since I've got kin in the area.

Lincoln Amphitheatre at the state park is a nice place. I saw the Del McCoury Band play there a couple years ago.

St. Benedict's Brew Works in Ferdinand has some good beer too.

I'm kind of sort of thinking about heading up that way for the solar eclipse next year.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Best ever? He wasn't the best of his generation.
I agree that he's not the best ever.

Great defense though.

Who would you say is the best of his generation?

I think of him being between Junior & Trout.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I agree that he's not the best ever.

Great defense though.

Who would you say is the best of his generation?

I think of him being between Junior & Trout.
I agree with you that he was a great defender. One of the best there.

I kinda consider Junior Griffey in his generation, even if Junior broke in a few years prior. You also have to put Edmonds in there, who I think was a better all around player than Jones. Jones hit a brick wall at age 30 and fell off pretty sharply with the bat after that.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Andruw Jones will get in eventually. He is an interesting case because of the way his career ended but for 10 years he was far and away the best defensive outfielder in baseball. And while some of his offensive stats aren't great he hit over 400 HRs. His combination of center field defense and power make him a HOFer in my opinion.

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
Best ever? He wasn't the best of his generation.
I said Andruw Jones was maybe the best to ever play the CF position. No doubt Griffey had a more productive career at the plate, but Andruw Jones played the defensive position like no one else I’ve ever seen. He made difficult plays look routine. His range in CF was unreal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login