SEC legends Barry Swizter, Vince Young.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Both were name to the 2024 SEC legends class. How can a couple guys who never coached or played in the SEC be considered SEC legends?

"The class will be honored at the 2024 SEC Football “Weekend of Champions” December 6-7 in Atlanta, Ga, highlighted by the annual SEC Legends Celebration presented by T-Mobile on Friday, December 6 at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. The group will also be recognized prior to the SEC Football Championship Game, which will be held at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Saturday, December 7."

Isn't that a weird thing to do for a couple of guys who have no connection whatsoever to the SEC?

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024
Both were name to the 2024 SEC legends class. How can a couple guys who never coached or played in the SEC be considered SEC legends?

"The class will be honored at the 2024 SEC Football “Weekend of Champions” December 6-7 in Atlanta, Ga, highlighted by the annual SEC Legends Celebration presented by T-Mobile on Friday, December 6 at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta. The group will also be recognized prior to the SEC Football Championship Game, which will be held at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Saturday, December 7."

Isn't that a weird thing to do for a couple of guys who have no connection whatsoever to the SEC?
I saw Switzer on the Paul Finebaum show about this and I thought the same thing. So, I expect Big George, Sterling, Alshon and other Gamecocks to get in, too.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I saw Switzer on the Paul Finebaum show about this and I thought the same thing. So, I expect Big George, Sterling, Alshon and other Gamecocks to get in, too.
They are already in. Same for Todd Ellis, Harold Green, Robert Brooks, and a bunch of other Gamecocks who never played a down for an SEC team.

Does it feel weird? Yes, but every team gets an inductee every year. Instead of calling it "SEC Legends," it would more accurately be called "Legends from SEC Teams," but that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

Reactions: will110

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They are already in. Same for Todd Ellis, Harold Green, Robert Brooks, and a bunch of other Gamecocks who never played a down for an SEC team.

Does it feel weird? Yes, but every team gets an inductee every year. Instead of calling it "SEC Legends," it would more accurately be called "Legends from SEC Teams," but that doesn't roll off the tongue as easily.

They are being honored, as stated, for their contributions to the SEC. Vince Young's stats are lumped in with all the others as stats put up by SEC players.

They are not honoring the team. They are specifically honoring the individual.

Bizarre. So now the SEC gets to claim the accomplishments of any coach/player from Texas and Oklahoma history because they've been in the SEC for 5 minutes?

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022

Yes-ridiculous. Shouldn't happen.....not for Gamecocks that never played in the SEC or any other team with players that never played in an SEC game.
Cheapens it....doesn't make it better despite these other coach/player greatness elsewhere. I hate the old Big 8 and SWC getting further obliterated in history too. Total BS.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
There are many great names associated with both Texas and OU, however, and no disrespect intended to any parties, they are not SEC legends.
No doubt they are legends but honor them in their respective time and place

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024

''Legends of SEC Nation'' is more appropriate.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I guess I have more self-awareness than most. If I were Barry Switzer, I'd feel like a total idiot showing up to be honored as a legend of a conference with which I was never affiliated.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
"And now ladies and gentleman, please welcome Barry Switzer. Coach Switzer's contributions to the Southeastern Conference are, indeed, legendary, having won 12 Big Eight Championships and being named Big Eight coach of the year 4 times."

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
It does feel weird, but it's about the SEC institutions, not the conference as a whole. From the SEC's press release:

"The 2024 Football Legends class includes 16 former stars who excelled on the gridiron and helped write the rich history of the sport at their respective institutions, and is the first to include representatives from new members Oklahoma and Texas."

I guess they could have inducted Arch Manning and Jackson Arnold for Texas and Oklahoma, but that makes a lot less sense than inducting icons who helped make Texas and Oklahoma into the blue blood programs they are.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
This action would be just as ridiculous if the ACC announced the following from Miami as ACC legends.
Jimmy Johnson, Micheal Irvin, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, or Sean Taylor

USCEE82

Feb 17, 2024

Thanks. As I was posting my comment about Switzer, I was wondering if we had people in already. I guess I missed the news when it happened.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
"SEC Team Legends" would be more appropriate of a title.

Even so, I can't see a conference honoring guys who never played in the conference.

It's a stupid award anyway.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login