Seeing Flimpas on Twitter today made me think of other words/phrases I hate...

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Hotty Toddy. I think it is impossible for Ole Miss people to realize how stupid that really is to the normal population. Seeing grown men excitedly hotty toddy make me cringe. I'll also add that there is a generational gap of public "Hailstaters". Unless I'm at a sporting event, or in town (like Tampa) for a bowl game, I don't like being hailstated any more than I like hearing people war eagle or hotty toddy. I'm old...
March 2000, I was in Paris during college Spring Break and from across some random street I hear 'GO DAWGS!!'. That was cool.
Not sure if it would have been as cool if some random guy yelled 'Hail State!'.

Hotty Toddy definitely makes me cringe. Also, 'flim flam'...not sure what the 17 that is.
Hotty Toddy as a greeting reminded me of this commercial from 2010 or so. I both hated it and loved it.

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
- “That’s so random”
- “With that being said”
- “Respect my decision”
- “Privileged”
- “He can really spin it”
- “God told me to ______.” (not that he didn’t, but God only spoke to a handful of people over the 1200-1500 year period that the Bible was being written. It was rare and important. Not about what job to take or what house to buy.)
- Most church talk
- Most Coach talk
- Everything about the SEC nation and college game day crews.
- Most of the interactions with any sideline reporter and a coach on the way to the locker room at halftime

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Hotty Toddy
Roll Tide Roll or RTR
Geaux anything or similar
Yuge
Starkvegas

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
But outta those 99%, much less celebrate "The Reason for The Season" and only do so for the commercialization aspect of Christmas. "Happy Holidays" is nothing but political correctness intended to make sure Non Christians aren't offended which is BS IMO and intentionally ignores the origins of Christmas.
See my post about the origins of Christmas.

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Happy Holy Days (holiday)

You've been misled if you think it's only about the winter solstice pagan stuff. But that's ok. Many are

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I would really hope that He doesnt care if someone takes the word 'Christmas', which doesnt exactly appear in scripture and isnt even His actual birthday, and turns it into a portmanteau.

I hear New Year's is also a holiday. So it can just be a way to express good wishes for the holiday season(Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's, Festivus).

I do understand- you want it to be Christmas specific instead of more general and inclusive. Im not really saying you are wrong, just providing some further discussion.
I've always liked "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" but that's just me.

Reactions: 77Dog

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
See my post about the origins of Christmas.
And I get ALL of that and you are correct in a historical context but the bottom line is that there would be no Christmas without Christ. Christians established the day to trump 12-25's original origins for a reason while knowing full well the exact day of Christ's birth being unknown.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I would really hope that He doesnt care if someone takes the word 'Christmas', which doesnt exactly appear in scripture and isnt even His actual birthday, and turns it into a portmanteau.

I hear New Year's is also a holiday. So it can just be a way to express good wishes for the holiday season(Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year's, Festivus).

I do understand- you want it to be Christmas specific instead of more general and inclusive. Im not really saying you are wrong, just providing some further discussion.
That’s like saying “Happy football season” instead of “GO DAWGS!!!” Maybe now you can see why Christians prefer “Merry Christmas” to “Happy Holidays”.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
QB whisperer

"Let's put a pin in this and circle back later"

Elite - if everything is elite these days then nothing is elite

"After much prayer and consideration..." - everybody knows you didn't pray about a damn thing when you decided to run for public office, enter the transfer portal, etc.

"Blessed"

"The following play is under review"

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

The word Bible or Solo Scriptura never appear in the Bible. Neither does the canon of the Bible.

Whatever word or way you celebrate the birth of Christ, if you believe in Jesus, then obviously it's a good meaningful use of your time. The meaning is the story is always is deeper than the literal story.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I've always liked "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" but that's just me.
Sure, that works for most all situations.
I am not religious and am wished a Merry Christmas all the time. I take it how its meant- with care and love. I also wish others a Merry Christmas all the time because I hope they have one.

In addition to me not really understanding why it irks someone to be wished 'Happy Holidays', I also dont really understand why it irks someone to be wished 'Merry Christmas'. Like, damage had to happen for someone to actually take issue with being wished a Merry Christmas?

At the same time, a good friend of one of my daughters is Indian and it would be really odd to say to her or her mom 'Merry Christmas' because I know they are practicing Hindus. Then on the flipside, they are accommodating enough to recognize such a wish is meant with love, even if its ignorant, and they would accept it in the way its meant.

Anyways, getting up in arms either way about this is curious.
I am quickly realizing the world is passing me by on both sides.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That’s like saying “Happy football season” instead of “GO DAWGS!!!” Maybe now you can see why Christians prefer “Merry Christmas” to “Happy Holidays”.

Do you call out 'Go Dawgs' to a Buckeye fan or a Sun Devils fan? That would be weird, since they dont celebrate the team you root for.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I'm 53 and I like "Hail State" -- but having come up through the band, the words "Hail State" were spoken much more regularly in my college experience than in the "gen pop."

Happy with Go Dogs too. But I think branding around Hail State was one of the smart marketing things Stricklin did.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
'Everything happens for a reason.' - if this is what you want to say, just dont say anything.
'Literally!' - said in a teenage girl voice as a way of agreeing with whatever complaint or claim another girl just made.
'I know, right?!' - said in a teenage girl voice as a way of agreeing with whatever complaint or claim another girl just made.
'I could care less' - how much less could you care and why are you telling us? I would think you COULDNT care less.
'Sorry not sorry' - just a way to say 'im gonna be an ******* here' without just saying that.
'We are building the plane as we fly it.' - well thats just dumb to do, so creating a business initiative in that manner is also dumb.
'For the gram' - just...17 that.

If anyone wants to discuss this further, we can take the discussion offline and have a 1 on 1 brainstorm session to increase our bandwidth on the issue. That way we can leverage our collective learning and implement it in a collaborative manner which should result in a diverse approach to our next team building activity.
Could you add some color around this for context and once we have it nailed down I’ll socialize it to make sure we have team and directional buy in….damn I need to retire I can’t take it anymore

Reactions: mstateglfr
Dec 9, 2022
Best practice
Deep dive
Too far into the weeds
Chef's kiss

And last but not least "vaginal atrophy". Ive only heard the phrase a few times but it's a few too many. I was researching the supplement DHEA when I found out this was a thing. Apparently it's a phase in the life of a vag1na I'd never heard of, as if they aren't complicated enough.

Reactions: Double Dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login