Seeing Flimpas on Twitter today made me think of other words/phrases I hate...

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I actually kind of like this one. Not sure why, it is similar to the others mentioned that I do not like.
Staycation is similar to my made up term, maybe I didn’t invent it but I’m taking credit or blame, “Homegating” which is what I started doing in 2020 when I quit buying season tickets and tailgating.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Little Brother. Flipmas. What are yours?
Any stupid nickname for any player or any school including but not limited to:
Old Miss
Old Piss
Foambat
Stands
Flarda
Bruce Purl
Hugh Sleeze
MinneSomalia
Aridzona
Purdont
Awfulbarn
Noodle Arm
Upig
Notre Lame
Dopey Dan
Bammer
Oxfart
Lemonhead
Misery (for Missouri)

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
Considering that the time of year that was chosen to celebrate Christ's birth was related to the winter solstice celebrations and Rome becoming a "Christian nation" fixed the date for Christmas at 12/25, the normally celebrated day for Solstice, i think that much is being made about nothing as well. Seems that many get up in arms about having to share Christmas with other celebrations while not even understanding the genesis of their own.

Christmas date - Saturnalia date in Rome
Christmas tree - evergreen trees celebrated as the return of life that the solstice signified
Ornaments - Apples hung on the evergreen trees
Gifts - part of winter solstice
Mistletoe - Druids thought is was an all powerful healing item; was initially banned by English churches because of its pagan roots

Puritans banned Christmas early on in America before it just got too popular.

In other breaking news, it is almost certain that Christ wasn't born on 12/25, or even in December.
Hey boss, the whole pagan date thing is a theory without attestation in the historical record. I have another theory for you.

“For the first advent of our Lord in the flesh, when he was born in Bethlehem, eight days before the Kalends of January [that is, December 25], the fourth day [that is, Wednesday], while Augustus was in his forty-second year, but from Adam, five thousand and five hundred years. He suffered in the thirty-third year, eight days before the Kalends of April (that is, March 25), the day of preparation [that is, Friday] the eighteenth year of Tiberius Caesar, while Rufus and Roubellion were Consuls." [Hippolytus of Rome, Commentary on Daniel, written ca. AD 205.]

For He is believed to have been conceived on the 25th of March, upon which day also He suffered; so the womb of the Virgin, in which He was conceived, where no one of mortals was begotten, corresponds to the new grave in which He was buried, wherein was never man laid, neither before nor since. But He was born, according to tradition, upon December the 25th. [Augustine, On the Trinity, Book IV, Chapter 5, written beginning AD 400, published AD 428]

Also, the importance of other winter holidays has only grown in competition with Christmas. Saying happy holidays is simply to actively neglect the biggest holiday of the season.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Hey boss, the whole pagan date thing is a theory without attestation in the historical record. I have another theory for you.

“For the first advent of our Lord in the flesh, when he was born in Bethlehem, eight days before the Kalends of January [that is, December 25], the fourth day [that is, Wednesday], while Augustus was in his forty-second year, but from Adam, five thousand and five hundred years. He suffered in the thirty-third year, eight days before the Kalends of April (that is, March 25), the day of preparation [that is, Friday] the eighteenth year of Tiberius Caesar, while Rufus and Roubellion were Consuls." [Hippolytus of Rome, Commentary on Daniel, written ca. AD 205.]

For He is believed to have been conceived on the 25th of March, upon which day also He suffered; so the womb of the Virgin, in which He was conceived, where no one of mortals was begotten, corresponds to the new grave in which He was buried, wherein was never man laid, neither before nor since. But He was born, according to tradition, upon December the 25th. [Augustine, On the Trinity, Book IV, Chapter 5, written beginning AD 400, published AD 428]

Also, the importance of other winter holidays has only grown in competition with Christmas. Saying happy holidays is simply to actively neglect the biggest holiday of the season.
I could quote a lot of other sources that place His birth most likely August - September, but I won’t. My big point is that if self proclaimed Christian’s would stop trying to be culture warriors and start being more like Jesus, the whole world would be a better place. You should dig through the Bible and see what kind of political powers Christ lived under and how much he had to say about politics and nationalism and report back to me.

“One can’t be a Christian and a nationalist at the same time.” -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
“I don’t know, like….” — if you don’t know, then how are you describing it? If you can describe it, then you “know”…un17 yourself and acquire better vernacular.
“I’m sorry, but…” — if you’re not apologetic, then don’t 17in apologize. I think we, as a culture, have become too apologetic anyway.
“Literally” — 98% of the time, when someone says this, you could derail their train of thought if you take what they’re discussing and question it with “as opposed to not literal?”

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Think Matt Wyatt would say any school that is succeeded by “Nation”. He says rebels ain’t no NATION! lol

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Any use of a noun as a verb, such as " I gifted him a pair of shoes" or " we are efforting to improve " There are others I can think of at the moment.
Impact.

"This economic downturn is really going to impact our bottom line."

Please just use the term "affect," since there will be no actual collision between two physical objects.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
First time I heard someone say that, I almost said do you even realize how stupid you sound. And that was before I even knew it was an Ole Miss thing.
Actually, I believe Strange Brew coined it first.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Could you add some color around this for context and once we have it nailed down I’ll socialize it to make sure we have team and directional buy in….damn I need to retire I can’t take it anymore
Team.

I hate use of the term "team" in a work context. Whenever I hear this term used at my workplace, I immediately think to myself "I'm not on your 'team' you fuckingasshole."

Of course, I've played lots of sports throughout my life, and I always associate the term "team" with a sports team.

Work does not equal sport.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
All of this reminds me of this quote:

“You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad.”​

― Adlai E. Stevenson

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

The early Catholic Church co-opted many pagan holidays as it spread through Europe. That IS part of the historical record. The church found it easier to co-opt existing feast days and celebrations than to suppress them. My pastor at the church I grew up in always said that the actual date for Christ's birth would almost certainly have been in a warm weather month. Otherwise the shepards would not have been living in the fields with their sheep. He also said the actual date didn't matter. I agree.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
“Organic cotton”
You take a seed, you put in the soil, it grows into a plant, it produces COTTON.
The whole process is ORGANIC.
They’re defining organic by the way it was farmed. They used organic chemicals and fertilizers to farm it which is just silly because it’s not any different than regular cotton after washing.

just like anything else organic, they’re in it to take more of your money by suckering you into thinking it’s somehow healthier for you to buy organic things. The whole thing is one big lie.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
QB whisperer

"Let's put a pin in this and circle back later"

Elite - if everything is elite these days then nothing is elite

"After much prayer and consideration..." - everybody knows you didn't pray about a damn thing when you decided to run for public office, enter the transfer portal, etc.

"Blessed"

"The following play is under review"
I work at a Ford dealership. What gets to me most is "We're going to go home and pray about it tonight and call you back tomorrow." They never call back, I guess God tells them it was a bad deal.

Maroon90

Sep 23, 2009
"Going forward"/"moving forward"
It's a meaningless phrase that news and sports media types love, as in "What kind of offense will Zach Arnett have, going forward?" "What will this injury mean for the Rams, moving forward?" Is there a "moving backward" option that I am unaware of?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
“Organic cotton”
You take a seed, you put in the soil, it grows into a plant, it produces COTTON.
The whole process is ORGANIC.
The whole process is not organic if synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, seed treatments, adjuvants, defoliants, nitrogen fixatives, etc are used.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
The whole process is not organic if synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, seed treatments, adjuvants, defoliants, nitrogen fixatives, etc are used.
Ultimately, isn't everything "organic" in that everything comes from materials that originated in the universe and will eventually return to the universe?

Of course, this would require us to take the long view.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Team.

I hate use of the term "team" in a work context. Whenever I hear this term used at my workplace, I immediately think to myself "I'm not on your 'team' you fuckingasshole."

Of course, I've played lots of sports throughout my life, and I always associate the term "team" with a sports team.

Work does not equal sport.
Agree. I'm retired now, but I used to hate all of the "corporate speak" that evolved in the work place over the years. I think a lot of that was pushed down to the employees from the higher ups, because it is easier to control employees when you have a group think corporate culture. If you got out of your lane and asked to be compensated according to your worth, you were labeled as being not a "team player".

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login