SELA Instant Reaction Thread

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I don’t hate what I saw today. We covered.

Mike Wright looked great. He could have easily broke two other runs. 19 YPC.

Defense only allowed 208 yards. SELA only had 1 drive of substance.

OL wasn’t quite as physical in the 1H. Probably a function of “thinking” a little bit. Ended with nearly 300 yards rushing though.

Rogers 20-29, 277 & 2TDs. Ball spread around to WRS.

Outstanding special teams play today.

Overall grade B+

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I don’t hate what I saw today. We covered. Mike Wright looks quick.

OL wasn’t quite as physical in the 1H. Probably a function of “thinking” a little bit. Ended with nearly 300 yards rushing though.

Overall grade B+
1st half - overall D

2nd half - overall A

I’ll take it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Lots to like but lots to fix.

I think we need to figure out who we are on offense.

I didn't like the defense came out flat. I'm glad it got fixed.

Special teams the best we have seen in years

wright adds a nice dynamic to the offense we haven't had since 18.

will needs to get with it. His strength is accuracy. Today he was missing.

Inside rush with the line. Got better but not great against an fcs team. Should have bulldozed earlier.

Whitmore is a huge addition.

I hope tulu's injury isn't that bad.

Arnett has a lot of learning to do. We came out way to flat for a first game. They should have been fired up and ready to kill. I like that he wasnt happy even when leading in second half. A little saban there. Needs to make sure lines both start strong that makes the game in the sec. Sets the tone.

Marks had a good game but I think we need more from the other guys because I think marks will break down with all these touches. I liked price and Pittman.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I don’t hate what I saw today. We covered.

Mike Wright looked great. He could have easily broke two other runs. 19 YPC.

Overall grade B+
Wright is a weapon of mass destruction

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
We have a freakin kicker!!!!

Everything else, we'll see next week.

Biggest concern was the OL. Biggest surprise besides kicker was Creed. I don't think he's a huge surprise but I doubt he balls out like that if Tulu doesn't go down.

Hopefully he did enough for them to keep putting him in there.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I think the team was in their feels first half. They were sad and sluggish basically. Got that out of their system and things looked up.

Reactions: eckie1

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I like special teams other than Walley scares the hell out of me every time he is the return guy. That over the shoulder fielding of the punt inside the 15 would have Jackie Wayne Sherrill apoplectic.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
i wasn't impressed....beat up front often....on both sides of the ball....mike wright looks great....looks like barbay needs a mullen type qb to succeed....i had higher expectations and they fell way, way short....that 16 play 81 yd drive by sela looked like a hs defense against bama....im going to have to readjust my expectations....

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I like special teams other than Walley scares the hell out of me every time he is the return guy. That over the shoulder fielding of the punt inside the 15 would have Jackie Wayne Sherrill apoplectic.
Never forget…Pig Prather fair caught a punt with his heels inside the 1 ON JACKIE’S WATCH.

During the broadcast, Herbstreit called it he dumbest play he’d ever seen. It’s one of the few things I agree with Herbie on.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Never forget…Pig Prather fair caught a punt with his heels inside the 1 ON JACKIE’S WATCH.

During the broadcast, Herbstreit called it he dumbest play he’d ever seen. It’s one of the few things I agree with Herbie on.
Was that the kick and pick game in ‘99? Pig was on the sidelines laughing hysterically and all the announcers were like “wtf???”

Pig was a solid player, but he was lacking in functional gray matter.

Reactions: knock him out john

BA Dog

Nov 4, 2021
-Offensive line didn’t look like I would have hoped.
-Overall we looked soft up front on both sides of the ball
-Pickering looked really good.
-Trevion Williams looks like a freak on tv. Hope he ends up playing as good as he looks.
-Creed looked good.(not just for a freshman)
-We have to get Mike Wright more touches.
-Where was Zavion Thomas?

Reactions: knock him out john

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Here’s what bothers me other than what has been mentioned, all of our scoring drives had to have a big play. We didn’t march down the field & score like we should have against SELA.
For those that like rogers and talk about his stats. Sanders put up 500 on power 5 fbs team in a non air raid offense. Rogers is still a paper tiger because of the air raid. I didn't see anything from him today that will beat a good to average or better sec defense. I think he had maybe one really good td pass toda. No play making ability. I though this offense might help him but he hasn't figured out the pro offense yet. Unfortunately he has one more warm up game before lsu

Last edited:
Reactions: Yakcr1983

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That bad first half was probably good for them. Now they know. SLU is no joke team.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
SELA ran a student body right and left in the first quarter. Our denfense took a while to adjust. We did. Pickering was a beast in the game. One of his quarterback hurries saved a touch down.

Offense had to get its feet wet. As the game went along, they figured it out. Two headed mister of Wright and Rogers is very good.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Anytime I hear an offensive coordinator talk about explosive plays, ptsd sets in from the Moorehead days.

I don’t think we are very good. I think 6-7 wins is our future.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Here’s what bothers me other than what has been mentioned, all of our scoring drives had to have a big play. We didn’t march down the field & score like we should have against SELA.
I’m just glad we got some big plays. That means we either have a good scheme, good players or both. I think we have both. We have better speed on offense than we have in the past so we have a chance to bust big plays. We’ve had plenty of receivers who couldn’t bust that 53 yard TD by Creed. He turned the corner and turned it on. Maybe we can score against BAMA one time.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Here’s an honest question. If it takes a Leach team 3 years to start clicking how do you feel about Barbary? Personally, I like his play calling, but feel our o line and lack of confidence hurt today.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
The big plays were nice but they also concern me a little the way they skewed the offensive stats. Will we be able to have those same types of big plays against the top 2/3 of the SEC? Will we be able to run the ball effectively against that top 2/3 without a running threat at QB in the game?

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Was that the kick and pick game in ‘99? Pig was on the sidelines laughing hysterically and all the announcers were like “wtf???”

Pig was a solid player, but he was lacking in functional gray matter.
It was definitely an Egg Bowl game that we won, but I don’t remember what year. Yes, though, Pig was on the sideline laughing.

Reactions: eckie1

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Anytime I hear an offensive coordinator talk about explosive plays, ptsd sets in from the Moorehead days.

I don’t think we are very good. I think 6-7 wins is our future.
I predicted 7-5 to begin with. We have Georgia and Alabama on our schedule.

But we still will make some noise. We have some weapons on offense and they don't have to catch a pass first.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The big plays were nice but they also concern me a little the way they skewed the offensive stats. Will we be able to have those same types of big plays against the top 2/3 of the SEC? Will we be able to run the ball effectively against that top 2/3 without a running threat at QB in the game?
So.. I should be concerned that we had successful big plays on offense. Right?

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Really? Damn i hope we score every play. How can you look at big plays as a negative?

Reactions: drumrcraig

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm tarred of all these big plays. Why can't we get back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust ? We just ain't physical enough. Will only completed 69% of his passes. What about the other 31% ?? And what was his longest pass ? 33 yards ?? Unacceptable. Far Barbay. He shoulda started Wright*******

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login