Show of hands

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
How many people here will be demanding packing of bags the next time (and we will) we lay another stinker? Its Leach's MO, beat a lot of teams he shouldn't and lose to a team he should easily handle every once in a while.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Leach’s history is to win some games he’s not supposed to and lose some games he should win. Also, it looks like his success at MSU will depend primarily on OL crootin.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
We had stinkers with Mullen and Jackie too. I doubt that changes.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
How many people here will be demanding packing of bags the next time (and we will) we lay another stinker? Its Leach's MO, beat a lot of teams he shouldn't and lose to a team he should easily handle every once in a while.

What? Some people are never satisfied. Who was your favorite State coach and why?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Speaking as a former member of the Leach-sux contingent, even if we play a crummy game against TSU and badly lose the Egg Bowl and whatever bowl we go to, he's got the benefit of the doubt at this point. There's going to be a ton of excitement for 2022. The first half of the 2022 schedule is highly favorable & there's no reason we can't start out 7-0 or 6-1 headed into bama. Things could get exciting boys.

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
dude?? just jump on board. life is so much easier and a whole lot less stressful if you'd drop the part where your mad about a football coach. i get it, i bleed maroon. i want us to be a dominate team and win, but 17! its ok. breathe. in, out. in, out. deep breathe. in, out.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Looking back, did he really have any big wins in 2014? Beat a lot of what turned out to be mediocre teams that were overrated when we played them. The truth smarts eh?

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
If State wins the Battle of the Golden Egg, inversely proportional to the number of posters that will declare, "we ain't never won nuthin running the ball." "The Air-Raid gonna beat Bama."

There seems to be a real push and pull of the fan base right now. Both sides are trying to hard to convince the other side of extreme results, one way or the other.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Another show of hands: Will there ever come a time when we don't have a bunch of pompous ******** on here lecturing everyone else about how they should act as fans ?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If State wins the Battle of the Golden Egg, inversely proportional to the number of posters that will declare, "we ain't never won nuthin running the ball." "The Air-Raid gonna beat Bama."

There seems to be a real push and pull of the fan base right now. Both sides are trying to hard to convince the other side of extreme results, one way or the other.
Sounds like the ole US of A.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Nope. And I'm nothing special. Just reasonably rational. And I usually have the good sense to settle down before posting my thoughts.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Leach is far more similar to Sherrill than he is to Mullen, and I pretty much knew that when we hired him. Mullen's results very rarely deviated from what was expected, outside of 2016. Jackie could be all over the place like Leach, we won our only SEC West title in a year where we were blown out by bad Oklahoma State and LSU teams.

I would pretty much get use to the volatility with Leach. His W/L records should generally be good, but how we get those records will probably be a roller coaster, as it has been this year.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The big difference between Leach and Mullens is Leach won't take the last few weeks of the season off to pimp himself for other jobs.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Leach’s history is to win some games he’s not supposed to and lose some games he should win. Also, it looks like his success at MSU will depend primarily on OL crootin.

His history also shows having that magical season and getting his team to a place that the program had previously rarely, if ever, reached. We just gotta be patient.

Last edited:

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I expect Leach to live between 7-9 wins on average, and every few years you get the “magical season” which is around 10-11 wins. That’s his MO. Yes he loses some that he shouldn’t, but more often he wins ones that he “shouldn’t.” You don’t get to be a 2-time national coach of the year if you suck at coaching. And while the offense was kinda boring at first (okay, REALLY boring), now that Rogers has some experience under his belt, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Big variable missing from the Mike Leach's history

He has never had the talent level he has or will get at Mississippi State.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Looking back, did he really have any big wins in 2014? Beat a lot of what turned out to be mediocre teams that were overrated when we played them. The truth smarts eh?

But we were #1 in the country after beating 3 Belk Bowl caliber teams in a row!

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
True, but he's also never faced off against talent levels like he does here.

Bama is the only team we've played the last two years where the talent gap has consistently been problem. We're 3-3 against LSU, A&M, and Auburn the last two years and were very competitive against Georgia last season. Everybody else we play is typically pretty similar to us from a talent perspective.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It certainly won't be me throwing him off the trolly.

I like winning enough to get into bowls, but baseball this year finally showed me that the lasting glow of winning the ultimate trophy is intoxicating.

I love having a coach who believes in and works his system so effectively. With the right personnel, he has a real chance to produce a very special season at State.

SheltonChoked

Feb 27, 2008
True, but he's also never faced off against talent levels like he does here.

The talent gap he had at WSU vs Oregon, UW, USC, and UCLA was 50-70 spots. (WSU usually ranked in the 60's +, those listed are top 15 classes). Vandy out recruits WSU in the rankings...

Think about that when you say " he has never faced talent like he does here". He did, and he won with talent ranked lower than Vandy....

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I am convinced that 70% of active posters on here have split personalities and genuinely dont realize they type the stupid **** that they type during and shortly after games. There is a hard disassociation for many because a week later, its like all that insanity never happened.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
The big difference between Leach and Mullens is Leach won't take the last few weeks of the season off to pimp himself for other jobs.

Mullen's true character and colors showed this past weekend. He showed flashes of it at MSU with his smirk and smile at the end of the S Alabama game and his job search and annual November vacation his last several years at MSU. Many fans saw it and wanted him gone. Others chose not to see it because they are always 100% loyal to the MSU coach. That is fine, but that segment of the fan base also gets butt hurt when everything is not rosey MSU every single day. They are also VERY resistant to change, which is why it took forever to run off LT, and we almost didn't pull the trigger on Croom or Rick Ray.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It wasn't real. Looking back at the amount of talent on that team, we should all acknowledge how ****** of a job Mullen actually did that season. That stupid *** "2B" defense cost us the OM and GT games. Possibly even Alabama.

If Mullen hadn't tried to play evil genius and just played his best guys every series, that defense could have been all time. There were a half dozen NFL guys on that defense and a few pro bowlers and we some how ended up 88th in the country in total defense in 2014. It was fun when happened, but looking back with hindsight, a lot of smoke and mirrors made that season magical.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It wasn't real. Looking back at the amount of talent on that team, we should all acknowledge how ****** of a job Mullen actually did that season. That stupid *** "2B" defense cost us the OM and GT games. Possibly even Alabama.

If Mullen hadn't tried to play evil genius and just played his best guys every series, that defense could have been all time. There were a half dozen NFL guys on that defense and a few pro bowlers and we some how ended up 88th in the country in total defense in 2014. It was fun when happened, but looking back with hindsight, a lot of smoke and mirrors made that season magical.

Exactly. If every game in that 2014 season played out the exactly the same as it did for all teams, but the whole season was played in reverse order, we never would have even been ranked in the Top 10. Nor should we have been, because we weren’t a Top 10 team when it was all said and done. It was an illusion that was fueled almost entirely by premature preseason rankings for 3 teams with sexy names on their jerseys.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I expect Leach to live between 7-9 wins on average, and every few years you get the “magical season” which is around 10-11 wins. That’s his MO. Yes he loses some that he shouldn’t, but more often he wins ones that he “shouldn’t.” You don’t get to be a 2-time national coach of the year if you suck at coaching. And while the offense was kinda boring at first (okay, REALLY boring), now that Rogers has some experience under his belt, it’s a lot of fun to watch.

If he does that at MSU and coaches for enough years they will build a statue of him. I had my doubts but I can now see when everything clicks just how good this offense is/.

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016

What an idiot

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Maroonthirteen;[URL="tel:1987786" said:
1987786[/URL]
Both sides are trying to hard to convince the other side of extreme results, one way or the other.
True of everything politics COVID etc

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Wait til our next loss and see how many come out of the woodwork

The only real scenario where this happens is if we somehow lost to Tenn St. Like I said above, even if we win ugly against Tenn St and get blowed out by flagship, virtually everyone is good with Leach.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
So what if they do ? Who are they hurting other than themselves ? You are are trying to change something that's been going on since the beginning of team sports EVERYWHERE ON THIS PLANET not just MSU....... and it ain't gonna happen.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Exactly. If every game in that 2014 season played out the exactly the same as it did for all teams, but the whole season was played in reverse order, we never would have even been ranked in the Top 10. Nor should we have been, because we weren’t a Top 10 team when it was all said and done. It was an illusion that was fueled almost entirely by premature preseason rankings for 3 teams with sexy names on their jerseys.
I don't disagree with either of you, but I'll say this - that run was some of the most fun times I've ever had when it comes to MSU football. It's right there with 1999. If your negative *** didn't enjoy that at the minimum, not sure what will ever make you happy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login