Shrimp Poboy

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Curious as to where the best shrimp poboy you ever had was? I’ve had them all over Louisiana, Mississippi, and the panhandle. The best I’ve ever had is from Soul Fish in Memphis, tn.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
But to your question… I like them, but I’m pretty limited in my experience. I liked the Islander in Jackson. Haven’t done many at all toward the coast/NO. Can say the ones I’ve had outside of LA/MS/FL have been pretty weak

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I love a good poboy! Did anyone here ever eat at Mr H's off the jcjc Ellisville exit? Holy **** it was good! They press most places on our coast which I don't mind but don't prefer.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Get ready to break the new board

patdog

May 28, 2007
In my opinion, the correct answer is Bozo’s in Pascagoula.

I do not think it is possible for a landlocked town to have a better poboy than a coastal town. Particularly, a grilled shrimp poboy. You simply can’t beat the fresh shrimp.
I was pretty disappointed when I tried Bozo’s. In the Jackson area, Sal & Phil’s is hard to beat.

Palmettodog

Aug 22, 2012
Curious as to where the best shrimp poboy you ever had was? I’ve had them all over Louisiana, Mississippi, and the panhandle. The best I’ve ever had is from Soul Fish in Memphis, tn.
Chris’ Poboys Lafayette, LA.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Marilynn's in Shreveport is pretty damn good. And the biggest damn poboy I have ever seen.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014

I do not think it is possible for a landlocked town to have a better poboy than a coastal town. Particularly, a grilled shrimp poboy. You simply can’t beat the fresh shrimp.

Bozo’s 1 or Bozo’s 2

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Given the overwhelming majority of posters on this board are complete asshats, I will not be trying any of your recommendations. However, thank you for your input.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

I am forced to disagree. The Seafood Bistro in Montgomery, Al is the best I have ever had, and I have had them all up and down the coast. It doesn't hurt that it is so massive that it's at least two meals worth.

Now if you go nontraditional, then the New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood Company is pretty damn dank. But it's a BBQ shrimp poboy and they do not slice the bread, but hollow it out from one end to contain all the sauce.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Parkway?

Pirates cove?

Bozos?

I’ve had a lot of good ones, including from some pretty nondescript places. Not sure I could pick one out as the best.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Haven't been since hurricane Michael but the Blue Parrot on St. George Island had the best tasting fried shrimp I think I've ever had. The sandwich and basket were overflowing every time

Reactions: Dogpatrol

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
The shrimp/oyster combo at Mahony’s on Magazine St in NOLA may be the best I’ve ever had and I’ve had po-boys all over MS, LA and AL.
Parkway Tavern is really good, Johnnys used to be great but I haven’t been in a long time, Seafood Express in Meridian is legit as is Fins in Laurel.
Debris po-boys in Mobile AL is really good.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Any location that is not in south Louisiana is wrong. Personally I say Loupe’s Deli in Norco LA

Reactions: She Mate Me

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
my favorite in the Jackson area is Sal and Phils in Ridgeland. Pretty hard to beat theirs.

My favorite in the south is Flying Harpoon in Gulf Shores (not Orange beach which is the tourist trap one) youll know you're at the right one if it looks like someone's house up on stilts.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Shrimp Buster at Herby-K's in Shreveport. Good stuff.

For a way back reference, my all time favorite was any po boy at Fisherman's Wharf in Biloxi before the Lady Luck took over in the early 90s. Good memories going there with my dad.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's all about the bread. leidenheimer bread to be specific. Got to be soft but a nice crunch on the outside.

Domilise is a hidden gem. Same old ladies in that old building still making them up. I get lunch there ever couple of months. guys po boys are good but pretty high price being on magazine. I've had a bunch from hole in the wall places that are good too. Frank and Johnnys has a good ferdi. Nice laid back atmosphere too. Mahoneys on magazine is good too. Honestly I've had some really good ones in little corner marts spread out New Orleans. Couple of little cafes on north shore like la pines cafe in Slidell, nans cafe in mandeville. Pretty damn good.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
my favorite in the Jackson area is Sal and Phils in Ridgeland. Pretty hard to beat theirs.

My favorite in the south is Flying Harpoon in Gulf Shores (not Orange beach which is the tourist trap one) youll know you're at the right one if it looks like someone's house up on stilts.
That flying harpoon in GS is nice find. Good hangout spot

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Pirates Cove roast beef with a Barq’s. Grew up going there. Best I’ve ever had.
Good shrimp poboy places are all over S. Louisiana and the Coast. Just need good poboy bread and fresh shrimp. Grew up eating them, had one a few weeks ago on a fishing trip in Grand Isle, but I don't find them all that special. Not really a fried food fan. But a good roastbeef, not with some canned gravy crap, is a great poboy. Several good places in Nola including Parkway, Parrain's, Mahoney's, Parisol's (but not as good as a young, drunk me remembers), Short Stop, R&O's...any place near the Gulf that has a good roast beef poboy will have a good shrimp poboy but not necessarily vice versa. I need to try Pirate's Cove. Never been there.

Reactions: Other Kind

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
Not going to say it’s the best I’ve had, and I’ll probably get flamed here, but Little Dooeys has a jamming fried shrimp poboy with homemade remalaude(sp?).

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Friend of mine said even the restaurants near the coast bought their shrimp frozen from Vietnam.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
R&O’s

with an extra helping of claw machine plush toy winnings for the kiddos.

But I only get the shrimp after I grow tired of the roast beef or soft shell parm po boys.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Good shrimp poboy places are all over S. Louisiana and the Coast. Just need good poboy bread and fresh shrimp. Grew up eating them, had one a few weeks ago on a fishing trip in Grand Isle, but I don't find them all that special. Not really a fried food fan. But a good roastbeef, not with some canned gravy crap, is a great poboy. Several good places in Nola including Parkway, Parrain's, Mahoney's, Parisol's (but not as good as a young, drunk me remembers), Short Stop, R&O's...any place near the Gulf that has a good roast beef poboy will have a good shrimp poboy but not necessarily vice versa. I need to try Pirate's Cove. Never been there.
I partial to gambinos bread

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
That flying harpoon in GS is nice find. Good hangout spot
glad someone else has been to that one on here and can vouch. its a fantastic spot! if youre ever in Gulf Shores or Orange Beach... hit it up. you will not be disappointed.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login