Shrimp Poboy

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Fat Tuesday's in Ridgeland, shout out for their grilled shrimp poboy and onion rings and fried crab claws. DEEE lishhhh

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Captain Joey Patti's, The Grand Marlin, Peg Leg Petes, Dewy Destins (If I bring my own fish), and Juana's Pagodas for the atmosphere and drinks.

I live in the FL panhandle and your take is trash. Stay away from the obvious tourist traps and the food is fantastic.

I'm not sure what you would call an obvious tourist trap, but taking Mobile Bay's list, I would have assumed Peg Leg Petes and the Grand Marlin were obvious tourist traps. Although the Grand Marlin looks pricey enough that I could believe they can pay astronomical rent and still provide good food. But generally, Pretty much anywhere high traffic in a tourist area is most likely going to be ****** food. I'm generally happy to get just pretty good food that just has tourist prices.

I know the good restaurants are there, but it's too painful for me to try to find them.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Honarable mention is Fayard's in Ocean Springs off North Washington.......you won't find a better gas station po boboy anywhere on the planet.
I've heard good things about the Fayard's pressed po-boys on the coast. United Deli in Columbus is another gas station (hole in the wall) that has some great po-boys, but theirs are not pressed.

Reactions: yakalot2 and lazlow

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
When I lived in Mandeville, we used to get Poboys from Rips. Looks like they’ve gone to a full on restaurant on the lake now, not just a sammich shop.
Rips is a good spot. Rusty pelican isn't bad but they aren't as good as they are popular.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Lil Ray’s on Courthouse in Gulfport.
Not anymore. I’ll never eat there again. Large poboy with very few shrimp with a small cup of gumbo for $15 bucks at lunch. The large could have passed for a small and I was still hungry after eating. I live in New Orleans so I can be critical. I live within walking distance of Deanies, R&O, and NOLA Food and Spirits. On the coast, I enjoy the shrimp poboy at Steve’s marina. Lots of shrimp.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Had the shrimp poboy at Bon Temps in orange beach today with their remoulade/comeback sauce. Solid 8/10

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Jan’s Restaurant Lafitte, LA

it no longer exists thanks to Ida, but they’re working on coming back.
Jan’s is the best I’ve ever had, hands down.

Side note - if I ever had to choose one last meal, I’d have a hard time choosing between the eggplant pirogue and the blackened flounder from Voleo’s in Lafitte.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Just had the shrimp “sandwich” at Playa in oba. Not a poboy, but still fabulous!

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Just had the shrimp “sandwich” at Playa in oba. Not a poboy, but still fabulous!
Shrimp and grits at GTs. Trust me! Thursday night is steak night at Bon Temps, good steak for the money.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Jan’s is the best I’ve ever had, hands down.

Side note - if I ever had to choose one last meal, I’d have a hard time choosing between the eggplant pirogue and the blackened flounder from Voleo’s in Lafitte.
I'm going to request a McRib and Shamrock Shake for my last meal, that buy me several more years.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Southside Night Club/Godfather’s Disco in Fat City. Had a Walk Up Sandwich Shop on the outside facing the parking lot. Best Shrimp Poboys ever. But… they also had the best Roast Beef Poboys, slathered with brown gravy dripping from the bread as you tried to eat that monster and drink an ice cold Dixie Beer before slipping inside with your platform shoes, and Dazzling Wide Striped Bell Bottom Pants , ready to turn the ladies on with your hairy chest showing through your half opened Satin Shirt and your Gold Chain hanging around your neck with your white man’s Afro picked out about 6 inches all the way around.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Had a shrimp boy at Butch’s Bistro in Perdido Fl for lunch. The Cajun aioli was a nice touch, but the loaf was a little stale. 6/10

Mar 3, 2008
Triangle seafood here in the Hattiesburg is right up there for me. I’ve been thinking it was good. Then I got one Sat night after thinking of this thread.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
from Jaime’s Seafood Shack (truck) under the bridge in Perdido Key. W/ bang bang sauce
7.3/10

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Bumping this thread. Had a shrimp po boy at Roux 61 in Natchez, highly recommend. Best bread on a po boy we've had in a while.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
In my opinion, the correct answer is Bozo’s in Pascagoula.
I live in Tupelo - was on the Gulf Coast piddling around while my wife was at a conference - happened upon Bozo's by chance - holy smokes! Great everything, including the poboys.

The gumbo was the best I've ever had. Far and away the best I've ever had.

I'm not from New Orleans and don't claim any special expertise, but I'm a bonafide food-loving fat boy with 51 years' experience of trying every food I encounter, so I've et quite a lot.

Reactions: PK Dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login