Shrimp Poboy

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
You can put this story under my life timeline and sub a muffuletta for Po Boy. I had one in a hole-in-the-wall Nawlins place that has left me searching for an equal for the rest of my life I'll never remember the original or find an equal.

17 a Po' Boy. Find me a good muffuletta instead.

Carry on with your dry *** Po' Boy.

Central grocery in NOLA. It's one place I definitely remember (like the poster above some of the best has been 20+ years ago). I would get a muffaletta from there, hit the southwest gate at the airport and eat as we wait for the plane. Many people would be in shock that I had that at the airport and would beg for where (in the airport) I got it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
I don't remember the last really good SPB I had but it may have been Parrans on Vets. Quave Brothers in D'iberville was good. It's all about the bread. IF they pull some of the bread out of the loaf after slicing it, the sandwich will be much better.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
We're talking 'best' here though. If you want the best, go to the source. Anything outside of South LA, South MS and Mobile County (with few exceptions) is just wrong.

People saying places from true beach towns are crazy. 75% of the food in Baldwin County is total crap. 95% of food in the Panhandle is garbage. Very little is not from Sysco to begin with.
I live in the FL panhandle and your take is trash. Stay away from the obvious tourist traps and the food is fantastic.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I live in the FL panhandle and your take is trash. Stay away from the obvious tourist traps and the food is fantastic.
You don’t know good food.

You won’t do it, but name me your top 5 restaurants from Pensacola to Tallahassee.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I don't remember the last really good SPB I had but it may have been Parrans on Vets. Quave Brothers in D'iberville was good. It's all about the bread. IF they pull some of the bread out of the loaf after slicing it, the sandwich will be much better.
Last time I went to parrans it was really dry and the bread was too hard. Wasn't impressed

Reactions: skydawg1

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I know to each their own but I about spit my coffee out on this one. Don't get me wrong Soul Fish is good (and we eat there often) but anything North of Hattiesburg is just a shrimp sandwich.

My go to in NO is Crabby Jacks (same guy that owns Jacques-Imo's) second is Guy's on Magazine. Also don't sleep on Peter's Po-boys in Hattiesburg.
Crabby jacks is good food.I like their jambalaya and fried chicken wings. Roast beef poboy is good too.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Shrimp poboys are hard to 17 up as long as you don’t use chewy bread and don’t try to make it fancy. I’d like to see this same thread for a roast beef poboy.
Curious as to where the best shrimp poboy you ever had was? I’ve had them all over Louisiana, Mississippi, and the panhandle. The best I’ve ever had is from Soul Fish in Memphis, tn.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Bozo’s grilled shrimp was the best I’ve ever had but they aren’t consistent. Bozo’s Too is more consistent though.

Half Shell Oyster House grilled shrimp with Orleans sauce is damn good if the arteries can handle it.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

You won’t do it, but name me your top 5 restaurants from Pensacola to Tallahassee.
Captain Joey Patti's, The Grand Marlin, Peg Leg Petes, Dewy Destins (If I bring my own fish), and Juana's Pagodas for the atmosphere and drinks.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Captain Joey Patti's, The Grand Marlin, Peg Leg Petes, Dewy Destins (If I bring my own fish), and Juana's Pagodas for the atmosphere and drinks.
Not a Poboy but Dewey’s has the best fried shrimp on the planet. Had some last week.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Curious as to where the best shrimp poboy you ever had was? I’ve had them all over Louisiana, Mississippi, and the panhandle. The best I’ve ever had is from Soul Fish in Memphis, tn.
Trapani's in Bay St. Louis. They also had the best fish taco I've ever eaten. It had Triple Tail in it. We hit Trapani's every trip to the coast.

Reactions: PK Dawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Another good poboy. In OBA at GTs on the bay. They have a firecracker shrimp appetizer, it’s smaller fried shrimp tossed in a really good firecracker sauce. Order the shrimp poboy and ask them to toss the shrimp in the firecracker sauce. It’s not on the menu but they will do it and it’s fantastic.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Mine was at some hole in the wall bar in NOLA. I don't even know its name.....I'm not sure it had one. We just stopped in for lunch. That was 20 years ago.

There is a place called Coops just outside the french market that fits this description. I go there every time.

Reactions: lazlow

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
I make the best blackend shrimp po-boy ever. bozo's (goula), cotter brown's (nola), & rosetta's (biloxi) are all respectable.

mdndog1966

Oct 6, 2014
Someone earlier mentioned Seafood Express in Meridian. I'm not saying it's the best I've ever had, but for a gas station / convivence store it's pretty da** good. In my top 3 anyway, YMMV
The owner has a boat and goes and catches a lot of what they cook

SSBGDog

Sep 1, 2014
Lil Ray’s on Courthouse in Gulfport.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Depending on if the month ends in an R depends on whether or not I get shrimp or oyster. Bread makes the poboy and they have the bread down pat. Still have bottled root beer too. I may have to go get one for lunch today now that I’ve been thinking about them.
There is absolutely no reason not to eat oysters 12 months out of the year. For an oyster to be sold commercially it must have been handled by people who work in accordance with the national Shellfish Sanitation Program. Here is some light reading, 502 pages of detailed instructions and rules.

Nobody harvests wild oysters during spawning time, the warmer months. So in those months without an R, you are getting farmed oysters. Farmed oysters are triploid oysters which do not spawn and are sterile. So they do not exhaust themselves in those warmer months.

Reactions: patdog and skydawg1

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Nobody who buys from Frank Patti better see this. Otherwise you sleep with the fishes, capiche?

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Honarable mention is Fayard's in Ocean Springs off North Washington.......you won't find a better gas station po boboy anywhere on the planet.

Reactions: yakalot2

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
There is absolutely no reason not to eat oysters 12 months out of the year. For an oyster to be sold commercially it must have been handled by people who work in accordance with the national Shellfish Sanitation Program. Here is some light reading, 502 pages of detailed instructions and rules.

Nobody harvests wild oysters during spawning time, the warmer months. So in those months without an R, you are getting farmed oysters. Farmed oysters are triploid oysters which do not spawn and are sterile. So they do not exhaust themselves in those warmer months.
I live on the gulf coast. Im not eating motherfucking farmed oysters. So, like I said before you tried to sound all motherfucking smart, I ain’t eating oysters in a month than doesn’t end with r.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I was always a roast beef po-boy guy, and grew up on Lil' Rays in Gulfport. Best rb poboy going back then. 2nd best for me was Mother's Debris Poboy in New Orleans.

That said, the best damn sandwich ever created or eaten by mankind is the Central Grocery Muffaletta.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Captains Table, Bayou on the Beach, Dee's Hang Out, Uncle Ernies, Hunts Oyster Shop. Shall I had a Cap'n Ds to satisfy your taste?

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Shrimp poboys are hard to 17 up as long as you don’t use chewy bread and don’t try to make it fancy. I’d like to see this same thread for a roast beef poboy.
That thread ends with Frostop in Picayune

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I live on the gulf coast. Im not eating motherfucking farmed oysters. So, like I said before you tried to sound all motherfucking smart, I ain’t eating oysters in a month than doesn’t end with r.
So you are illegally harvesting oysters, or buying illegally harvested oysters, or do not know what you are talking about. Which is it ? Are you a criminal or a dumbass?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Peg Leg Pete’s is excellent. I’ll add Indian Pass Raw Bar in Cape San Blas to your list, we’ve driven over two hours one way just to eat there. Not between Pensacola and Tallahassee but Sunset Corkroom in Gulf Shores is as good a meal as I’ve ever had, it never disappoints. Don’t tell anyone, the damned tourist will ruin it.

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
Chicken on the Bayou "The Boudin Shop" at the Henderson/Cicilia exit right off I-10 as soon as you cross the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge.
The bread makes a poboy.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I've had some really good ones in little corner marts spread out New Orleans. Couple of little cafes on north shore like la pines cafe in Slidell, nans cafe in mandeville. Pretty damn good.
When I lived in Mandeville, we used to get Poboys from Rips. Looks like they’ve gone to a full on restaurant on the lake now, not just a sammich shop.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Now a days it dosen't matter what month it is. If you don't watch them shuck them 9 times out of 10 you are eating pastured pre-shucked oysters on the half shell or they are from a bucket.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I was always a roast beef po-boy guy, and grew up on Lil' Rays in Gulfport. Best rb poboy going back then. 2nd best for me was Mother's Debris Poboy in New Orleans.

That said, the best damn sandwich ever created or eaten by mankind is the Central Grocery Muffaletta.
Some people call Mother's a tourist trap but that place is still legit. The best hangover cure in town is their debris biscuit topped with an over easy egg.

Reactions: stateu1

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Lousiana:
#1 - Domilise's by far
#2 - Old Tyme in Lafayette - the Murphrees are great people that have been doing it for years. great friends

Non-Louisana
#1 - Seafood Express gas station in Meridian.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login