Smart Play

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Link

An Oklahoma State player quickly called for a fair catch on a surprise onside kick in their game against Tech. Tech looked like they had recovered the ball at their own 45, but not so fast. Because of the way the rule is written, the Oklahoma State player has the right to catch the ball unimpeded. Oklahoma State got the ball and the refs gave them 10 additional yards for the kick catch interference.

Going to need one of you coaches on the board to make sure our special teams are up to speed on this rule. It will probably be changed in the near future, but still, gotta live the coaching and heads up play for the Cowboys.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Link

An Oklahoma State player quickly called for a fair catch on a surprise onside kick in their game against Tech. Tech looked like they had recovered the ball at their own 45, but not so fast. Because of the way the rule is written, the Oklahoma State player has the right to catch the ball unimpeded. Oklahoma State got the ball and the refs gave them 10 additional yards for the kick catch interference.

Going to need one of you coaches on the board to make sure our special teams are up to speed on this rule. It will probably be changed in the near future, but still, gotta live the coaching and heads up play for the Cowboys.

Link didn’t seem to work. Was it a legit onside kick….as in one where the ball is topped off the ground before bouncing into the air towards the front line of the receiving team? If so, the fair catch rule shouldn’t come into play as the ball has already hit the ground. If its just a “lob” kick or line drive kick that doesn’t hit the ground, then the fair catch rule applies and that’s no different than its been on kickoffs for decades.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Link

I don't think the rule will be changed. I'm surprised they are treating this as some obscure rule. Kickers would always pooch it on onside kicks if you couldn't faircatch a kickoff. That's why kickers virtually always kick it on the ground to do an onside kick. If you kick it in the air, your only hope of recovery is a player botching the catch or not paying attention and forgetting to fair catch it. Still pretty impressive that the Ok St player was so quick on it. That probably would have caught a lot of people off guard.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Link didn’t seem to work. Was it a legit onside kick….as in one where the ball is topped off the ground before bouncing into the air towards the front line of the receiving team? If so, the fair catch rule shouldn’t come into play as the ball has already hit the ground. If its just a “lob” kick or line drive kick that doesn’t hit the ground, then the fair catch rule applies and that’s no different than its been on kickoffs for decades.
Had to search on yahoo. Try this link: https://sports.yahoo.com/oklahoma-s...onside-kick-202747283.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Kick catch interference. It applies even if he didn't call for a fair catch. Still have the give him the opportunity to catch the kick. Also, ball has to go 10 yards and touch the ground for K to be eligible to recover. That last part is NFHS rules. Pretty sure it's the same in NCAA.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Kick catch interference. It applies even if he didn't call for a fair catch. Still have the give him the opportunity to catch the kick. Also, ball has to go 10 yards and touch the ground for K to be eligible to recover. That last part is NFHS rules. Pretty sure it's the same in NCAA.
No rules expert but I'm pretty sure this is right and also why a lot of onside kicks feature the kicker purposely bouncing the kick off the tee.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
NCAA ruling below.

You can catch the ball without it being kick catch interference if you are not "very near" the receiving team player. It's a bit ambiguous to say the least, but I would guess it's the same distance as on a normal KCI call on a punt, but who knows what "very near" could mean to a given crew.

I think the idea is that a fair catch signal is a clear intent that "I am catching this mofo. Give me a chance."

Approved Ruling 6-4-1​

I. A Team A player catches a free kick very near receiver B25, thus preventing him from making the catch. RULING: Kick-catch interference.

I just thought it was great that the player reacted so quickly and it was a huge play.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login