So Chad Bumphis was ready and willing to come to State...

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Bumphis was at: Iowa Wesleyan 2016
Buffalo Grad Asst 2017
Utah Grad Asst 2018
Austin Peay 2019 and 2020
Utah 2021
That's 4 offenses at 5 stops in 6 years and 2 of those years as a grad asst. Nothing about that says he's ready to be an SEC receivers coach, much less in the Air Raid. That leaves the fact that he is home grown, that's it.

Drew Hollingshead was w/ Leach the past 6 seasons in the Air Raid. "Hollingshead has had the opportunity to work with incredibly talented athletes, including Air Raid quarterbacks Luke Faulk, Gardner Minshew II and Anthony Gordon. He will undoubtedly be a great leader for the Bulldogs' talented group of wide receivers"

I think it was the right call.

Nailed it!!

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
You either Trust Leach or you don't. I personally will take his word on who he decides to hire for a position coach over anyone on this message board.

One could argue that we are better off with a guy that has been coaching in the air raid for 6 years and is from Texas than Bumphis who has never coached in the air raid and is from MS. Sure, Bumphis may could out recruit him in MS but he couldn't touch him in Texas and there is a lot more talent in Texas for WR's than in MS. Especially polished ones that can come in and run the air raid almost immediately. Then, this is "OUR" State. We should still be able to get our share of MS recruits no matter who is the coach.

I have no idea if this is a good hire or not but I trust the guy making these calls. There is no proof that Bumphis even understands what the air raid concepts are, Drew has been coaching it for 6 years. I know we all love Bumphis. He has a good thing going in UTAH but that does not mean he can coach this system well.

This!!

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I'm not worrying about this kind of crap til after next season. Just win baby! Never seen such an over the top reaction to a position coaching hire.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Getting killed on the recruiting trail. Getting killed in the portal. Getting killed in the NIL world. Fans willing to hand the job to Rogers for 2-3 more years uncontested. It's the MSU way. Lazy fans, lazy admin, lazy coaches. Be careful, we don't want to make the media mad at us!!! Sigh

yo homey you can do your part by changing the NIL world ...But the people who gripe the most are the ones with gator arms when it comes to paying for what you want.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
So - I look at it this way. He was offered a chance to coach on the offensive side of the ball, at his school and learn a different offense. The RB coach is the Air Raid isn’t much different than a WR coach. To me - it was short sighted of Bumphis, especially when you see Leach’s coaching tree. How many OC’s coaches more than one position in their history? I bet most.

I put this solely on Bumphis - not Leach!

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I trust Leach more than the hot takers. We just signed a great class and did great in the portal. Come on DS you’re better than that, you’re channeling your inner Bo Bounds.

Traffic rules, I guess.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I would rather have a guy with Mississippi ties. No telling how much longer Hughes has.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I would rather have a guy with Mississippi ties. No telling how much longer Hughes has.
Nothing we've ever done has ever worked long-term. I'm fine with going all in with whatever Leach wants to do right now. If you want to go the hire MS route, you better have the boosters in tow. Ole Miss has tried that forever too and haven't done much if any better than us.

Things are changing faster than ever and we all know we've never been the best at recruiting the Ole Miss way. May as well have an iron clad system and mine the portal like we're doing.

Bumphis could have just taken the RB too, you know. Nothing wrong with learning different aspects of your trade.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
That’s ridiculous.

well if Chad wants to be be an OC or HC ....maybe coaching different positions would be a faster route than always being a WR coach... and maybe a two time national coach of the year with a long history Of assistant coach stability knows what he is doing

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Qualify this for me a bit further...

When you make the aformentioned statement, why is that an important preference in your opinion?

Do you mean that you want to simply promote from within because Mississippians only understand Mississippi?

Or is it a good practice would you rather have people leave the state, see the world, learn best practice elsewhere, and then attempt to bring it back here?

Or is it because if a person doesn't have Mississippi ties, that the state is laregly an undesirable destination and a stepping stone to something better?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There are additional people with Mississippi ties involved with the team.

With Leach showing a willingness to go with folks in the pool there, I wouldn't be surprised to see an in-house hire come from the analysts/directors end...

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Why is it ridiculous?

Do we have objectionable proof that Bumphis is a better hire than Drew Hollingshead?

I mean are back to the good ole boy deal that we all hate? Hire bumphis Bc he is a “Mississippi State” guy?

Or hey how abt we let leach make those calls. His tree is pretty damn impressive.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Some very odd staffing moves from what I can tell.

Promote from within at inside WR when we have a proven P5 coach that fits MSU perfectly and is willing to come.

Move the RB coach to special teams coach- which may be a good move considering how bad our STs were in 2021.

Then we moved our safeties coach over to coach RBs. WTF?

How does he fit MSU perfectly? Because he played here and is from the area? That means MSU fits him perfectly, not necessarily that he fits MSU needs. There’s a big difference.

If he was a former Leach WR that had some pre-existing familiarity with the offense, it would be way different. But that’s not the case.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Harmony doesn't equate to winning

And not getting along never equate winning. That would carry over to the practice field. That's why Kiffin was treated like a four year old on the side line while at Bama. That is not a good look and if the HC was anyone else that would have gotten a lot more play in the media. Also our rosters don't have 67 of the 85 scholarship guys as four or five stars to make up for the ******** by the coaching staff.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Leach is 11-13, we signed the #25 ranked class which is about what we always sign no matter who the coach is, and the portal has pretty much sucked for us this year. Not to mention he's 0-2 vs Kiffin at Mississippi and just got outrecruited by him both in regular recruiting and portal recruiting. But go on and blindly trust him.

Last edited:

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
I mean at Utah he is coach New Years 6 bowls. At state he wouldn't probably be coaching liberty bowl

Utah’s passing offense was ranked 84th in the country. Perhaps Mike Leach thinks Chad would be a good recruiter but needed to learn from him on how he wants his guys to be coached at receiver. The tailbacks in our offense are probably much simpler to coach than wide receivers and I feel like leach wants someone coaching his receivers that he fully trusts that knows his system inside and out in those roles.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
And not getting along never equate winning. That would carry over to the practice field. That's why Kiffin was treated like a four year old on the side line while at Bama.

During his time there they went 40-3 and won a national championship. That seems like winning.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
During his time there they went 40-3 and won a national championship. That seems like winning.
And they have 67 four or five stars on their rooster. We don't have that luxury. Everything has to clicking just to get to 7 or 8 wins.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I get part of that, but I doubt it wasn't that he didn't feel he wasn't prepared to coach runningbacks - Washington has never coached offense.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I think to recruit well in the state - you need someone with Mississippi ties. We don't have that on staff outside of Hughes.

How often do we have a P5 assistant willing to come back and coach the position on where there is an opening and the cherry on top - he is an alum? This just seems like a lazy hire to me but at the end of the day - just win.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
and the portal has pretty much sucked for us this year.
False.....

just got outrecruited by him both in regular recruiting
......and false.

They may have beaten us in the portal, who knows, hard to truly rate those guys, but we definitely got some good guys on paper at positions of need. We beat them in high school recruiting, screw the ratings, we beat them head to head repeatedly.

Kiffin also inherited the better roster, so duh, they should have beaten us twice.

Our football program is in good hands and is in a good position right now. I really don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I really hope you’re right. But my eyes and any objective rankings just don’t support you right now.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think to recruit well in the state - you need someone with Mississippi ties. We don't have that on staff outside of Hughes.
I probably would have agreed, at least a little, 10 years ago. But I honestly think we're going to recruit about the same no matter what with the high school kids. And in this day and age, you will have some good transfers available from the blue bloods in a few years anyway.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

How often do we have a P5 assistant willing to come back and coach the position on where there is an opening and the cherry on top - he is an alum? This just seems like a lazy hire to me but at the end of the day - just win.

I see your point, but I am not sold on the concept of having state natives be a "must have" for recruiting. If you're a good recruiter, it doesn't matter where you are from. And if you want to recruit in the state, you make it a point to build the relationships with the programs in that state to make sure you have their attention.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You are 17ing crazy abt the amount of rational folks here!

I’m lumping myself into the 17ing irrational bunch.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
Leach is 11-13, we signed the #25 ranked class which is about what we always sign no matter who the coach is, and the portal has pretty much sucked for us this year. Not to mention he's 0-2 vs Kiffin at Mississippi and just got outrecruited by him both in regular recruiting and portal recruiting. But go on and blindly trust him.

we were ranked 17th before the portal players came in and were ranked, so no….you’re wrong. You sound like an idiot. We signed 3 former 4 stars in the portal. Ole miss signed a bunch of portal players because they lost a **** ton of starters. We don’t. People leaving schools for playing time aren’t going to sign up at other schools in the sec with returning starters as a general rule. How is this not clear to you without it having to be broken down Barney style?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login