So pat....

patdog

May 28, 2007
so technically, I can't be "wrong" about him. I wasdefinitely wrong about how this season would turn out, thanks to an unbelievable performance by the pitching staff. But I'm still concerned about the lack of offense. Cohen's definitely earned a little leeway for next year (if he needs it) with 2 solid seasons the last 2 years. But we haven't done anything yet that Polk II didn't do and nobody has a problem bitching about Polk II.

kimmer

Jun 10, 2011
CJC's team had a rather pedestrian regular season last year but did put it together for a run in the regionals. Same story shaping up this year also although it is yet to be seen what we will do in the post this season.

My take is that while we are certainly better we are not yet where we want to be which is competing for the SEC champ and hosting regionals. So while I am encouraged, I am not yet ready to proclaim the cohen era a success. I also will say this, if the seat does get warm, CJC's abrasive persona affords him less leeway than a more amiable guy for obvious reasons.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
for the first time since 2002-2003. Sad, I know.

The thing that I don't think you are getting is for us to move past what happened during Polk II's era, we've had to build the program back up to where it once was. Now that we are back where we were, now we can move forward.

It would be incredible to go from 6 SEC wins to 20 in the span of one year.

And I'll be honest here- a LOT of my problem with Polk II was all of the lame excuses and the fact that I felt like he had other interests and MSU wasn't necessarily priority one. If Polk II had this team right now, they would have probably won 6 SEC games because of all the injuries, and Polk would have run the "that's baseball" line after we got our *** kicked time and time again.

I think that's what is endearing about this team- they bust their ***, and it doesn't really matter what obstacles they faced, I always felt like we got 100% effort every single time, and as a result of that they actually accomplished some things and even if they didn't win, we gave the other team all they wanted other than maybe one game against Auburn. I also see players developing year to year such as Stratton and Frazier.

Like what happened against UK this past weekend- if the National Anthem stand down had happened with Polk around, we would have run back to the dugout like bitches and then talked about how we were more classy than UK. Our guys stood out there for 8 minutes and stood them down. And then you have the guy for UK that got hit in the knee that started talking to Pollo. If that was a Polk player- he probably sends the guy a letter of apology. Cohen's guy goes out there right back at the guy- despite the fact that he's like 5'8" and is ready to kick the guys *** if need be.

MSDawg34

Aug 30, 2011
and Cohen seems to show as well; which is why I have been railing against his offensive strategy this season. It has been the antithesis of the 'Im gonna get in there and 17 you up' batting approach that we showed this weekend, culminating in Saturday's breakout.

Man if this new found team stays hot we will challenge for Omaha behind the arms of our pitchers

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think you make a lot of good points and I agree about Cohen's intensity. We've needed that for a long time in our baseball program. He may take it a little too far sometimes, but I'd rather have that than the Polk attitude all the time. And I agree, Polk II would not have won nearly as many games with this team.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...That your and idiot. We didn't change our approach. We executed our approach. Instead of Rea being an automatic out, he comes through with a seeing eye single to left. 4 runs were scored on safety squeezes. Frost laid down the biggest and 2 weeks ago, Frost was popping bunts up. On Saturday, Henderson batted in two on what amounted to a pop up that fell because the infield was in. Norris finally put a good swing on one. We didn't do anything differently. We still bunted a lot and still attempted hit and runs. We just finally put down good bunts and some balls found some holes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login