So, stadiums attendance is way down.......

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Used where? For MSU, all I think it would do is piss off the MANY fans coming from Memphis, Mobile, LA, etc, who would then just get someone from MS to buy their tickets and pay them back. Pissed off fans and reduced revenue would be the only result.
Yup

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
-Parking is $30/game now, and right now you can buy tickets to Auburn for $25 each. Yep, costs more for a terrible parking experience than it does to watch the game.

-
-
-You get settled in and try to check some scores of other games on your phone only to find that the stadium internet service sucks balls. Your other option is to watch endless ads on the big screen and listen to music louder than but poorer quality than a live concert.
-Game over, proceed to your car and wait an hour or two to get off campus and out of town. Stop to pay for a tank of gas and start the trip home because all of the hotel rooms in Starkville are booked a year in advance.

I cut this down to these, as these are ones that the university could most easily improve on.

First, fix the damn internet. It's 2022, this is inexcusable. Quit making excuses and get it done.

Parking could be better, but this one won't be as easy. Shuttling improvements seems to be the answer. You know, not everyone wants to shuttle straight to the stadium. Have some outer lots with one dedicated drop off point that's NOT the stadium, like Bost or Allen. People going to tailgates in those areas can park at these lots and streamline the shuttle service.

Maybe we can improve the experience for fans after the game, to give more people stuff to do rather than get to their car and fight traffic? Events in the stadium sounds like an option. Put a live game on one jumbotron, highlights of our game on another along with other stuff. A concert? Doesn't have to be for everybody, but if it gives a chunk of drivers a reason to wait, it clears up traffic for everybody. Handout leftover food for free in the stands 30 minutes after the game ends? Aren't they just throwing that away anyway?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The cost is so high for season tickets, parking pass, fuel, required 2 night minimum hotels (that's a big one). A family of four has to spent a damn fortune and pick and choose which games they go to. I have four tickets. I rarely use them myself. I normally have family fill them, but it's just tough.
Just about the highest number of 11:00 AM games in the conference is a problem. TV is becoming a better option every year. I can sit in my outdoor area next to the fireplace, grill, & fridge and drink all day/night and just stumble the 20 steps to my bed or sleep in the hammock.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
View attachment 251960

Here's why I don't give a crap about paid attendance numbers. Bama had a "sellout" last week, 100,077 in attendance according to them. This is a photo I took at kickoff. Check out that south upper endzone. Nobody's filling up their stadium, but everybody's lying about the numerator in the fraction.
Exactly . . . a school can construct ways to declare a game to be a "sellout," and then base their "attendance" numbers on anything they want.

For example, what if for each game, five minutes after kickoff, a school sold every remaining unsold ticket to someone for $100 (total, not per ticket). Then, the school could declare the game a sellout and the paid attendance numbers would reflect that.

Statistics are easily manipulated.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Davis Wade capacity is now down to a little over 60K. We lost about 1500 when the balconies were built. We'll lose a whole lot more when we convert to all chairbacks. Probably go down to about 50K capacity.....however, much more comfortable with a lot more leg room after the concrete support dimensions are completely revised to accept bigger seats for today's human being size. Later on, we'll increase capacity when the SEZ is constructed (will be about 5-7 years though). Think we'll end up with a finished modern stadium with all chairbacks of about 60 - 65K when all is done......which is fine as we barely get over 50K now.

But will that really happen? How many college stadiums, other than those that share space with an NFL team, have all chair backs? Not very many, and none of the Power Fives do that I can think of.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
The cost is so high for season tickets, parking pass, fuel, required 2 night minimum hotels (that's a big one). A family of four has to spent a damn fortune and pick and choose which games they go to. I have four tickets. I rarely use them myself. I normally have family fill them, but it's just tough.
Just about the highest number of 11:00 AM games in the conference is a problem. TV is becoming a better option every year. I can sit in my outdoor area next to the fireplace, grill, & fridge and drink all day/night and just stumble the 20 steps to my bed or sleep in the hammock.
We're not really being dumped on with 11 a.m. games. Tomorrow #13 Penn State is playing #2 Ohio State at 11 a.m. (noon Eastern). Even entitled Alabama had one this year.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
11:00 AM games seem to be popular in the Big 10. They've played a lot of their bigger matchups at this time slot.....of course it's 12:00 for them. I prefer the old traditional time of 1:30 pm. Wish we could play all our games from 1:30 - 3:30 pm every Saturday. Not a real fan of night games and that one we played in Hattiesburg at 9:15 pm years ago really turned me off from night games. I think it ended up finishing around 1 AM. Not good feeling sleepy trying to walk down USM's really steep upper decks.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We're not really being dumped on with 11 a.m. games. Tomorrow #13 Penn State is playing #2 Ohio State at 11 a.m. (noon Eastern). Even entitled Alabama had one this year.
It's a different culture in the north. They consider the noon game (their time) to be a prime slot. Probably because it gets so damn cold in the late fall.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
But will that really happen? How many college stadiums, other than those that share space with an NFL team, have all chair backs? Not very many, and none of the Power Fives do that I can think of.
Louisville Cardinals stadium is all chairbacks.

It holds 60k with their latest endzone addition. However before when it was similar shape to DWS, it held 55k with all chairbacks.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Used where? For MSU, all I think it would do is piss off the MANY fans coming from Memphis, Mobile, LA, etc, who would then just get someone from MS to buy their tickets and pay them back. Pissed off fans and reduced revenue would be the only result.
You are confusing 2 different points. The 40% off is a model used around the USA to attract people to various parks etc.. An example would be Disney. You live in FL, you get up to 40% discount.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You are confusing 2 different points. The 40% off is a model used around the USA to attract people to various parks etc.. An example would be Disney. You live in FL, you get up to 40% discount.
MSU ain't Disney World my man. This might help for crappy OOC games, but for season tickets it would just reduce revenue and piss off fans. You aren't barking up the wrong tree though, there is opportunity to do some discounting or packaging to increase attendance, but this ain't it. Especially as this really applies to locals buying tickets near gametime, something that the university doesn't really control, unlike DW. Hell, we have times when you can't GIVE AWAY tickets to our games.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
MSU ain't Disney World my man. This might help for crappy OOC games, but for season tickets it would just reduce revenue and piss off fans. You aren't barking up the wrong tree though, there is opportunity to do some discounting or packaging to increase attendance, but this ain't it. Especially as this really applies to locals buying tickets near gametime, something that the university doesn't really control, unlike DW. Hell, we have times when you can't GIVE AWAY tickets to our games.
Nor are the many other parks and venues around the USA. Zoos do it. Water Parks do it. ETC Why would it piss fans off? Again, you are mixing 2 very different points I made.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login