So the coaching staff is finalized...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Mississippi State's completed on-field coaching staff includes:
  • Kevin Barbay (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
  • Matt Brock (Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers)
  • Tony Hughes (Associate Head Coach/Running Backs)
  • Chad Bumphis (Wide Receivers)
  • Brett Dewhurst (Safeties)
  • Will Friend (Offensive Line)
  • Darcel McBath (Cornerbacks)
  • Eric Mele (Special Teams Coordinator)
  • Mike Schmidt (Tight Ends & Tackles/Run Game Coordinator)
  • David Turner (Defensive Line)

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
All in all I will take it. I miss the Pirate, as should everybody, but with what happened and how it happened this is about the best staff we could hope for. At least we did not go hire some retread morons. This staff seems young and hungry which could be a great thing. The change on offense is the change on offense, I personally thought we should have stuck with a modified Air Raid, but it is not like we are dusting off the triple option. So again all in all I am happy with this new staff given the tragic way they had to come together.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Am I dreaming in thinking hughes has always been on the defensive side?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don't like splitting the guards and centers into a separate group from the tackles. TE is a different animal but center, guards and tackles should be one group. I doubt it will be separated in reality but I guess we will see.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I'm just glad we've got a baseball hall of famer coaching the tight ends...

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I like that we hired Arnett but if you knew he was going to blow away the Air Raid - do you think we could have waited to hire?

I'm still thinking no b/c of signing day.
This is correct. You already had calls coming in to the guys on our roster from folks like Rev. Freeze. Had to have a guy in place at that crucial time.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
All in all I will take it. I miss the Pirate, as should everybody, but with what happened and how it happened this is about the best staff we could hope for. At least we did not go hire some retread morons. This staff seems young and hungry which could be a great thing. The change on offense is the change on offense, I personally thought we should have stuck with a modified Air Raid, but it is not like we are dusting off the triple option. So again all in all I am happy with this new staff given the tragic way they had to come together.
I agree with this. Given the entirety of the unprecedented circumstances, I believe MSU will land on its feet in then end.

Let's give this young staff a chance to plant their flag

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just curious, after watching the last few years on offense, why would you want to continue that style of offense?
Because we've got a bunch of 4th/5th/6th year senior players who have been running it for 3 years you stupid mother 17er.

You make major changes after 2023, if you choose to do so. See the logic? Be gone you greasy vaginal pussfart.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Just curious, after watching the last few years on offense, why would you want to continue that style of offense?
last 2 seasons- 16-10 overall, 8-8 in conference, finished 3rd in division both times, and finished ranked this season.
People dismiss that stuff like its the floor when really its damn near our ceiling this century.

ETA- out of 22 possible back to back year combinations this century, MSU tied the overall wins shown above once and beat it three times.
So 18% of the time MSU has done as well or better than the past 2 seasons. I would have gladly kept that.

Last edited:

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Of note, support staff can now work directly with players. I assume Washington, Knox, etc will be doing that.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Because we've got a bunch of 4th/5th/6th year senior players who have been running it for 3 years you stupid mother 17er.

You make major changes after 2023, if you choose to do so. See the logic? Be gone you greasy vaginal pussfart.
You do understand if Leach (RIP - let’s not get into a pissing match about him, because we all wish he was still alive and well) was still around then Zavion & Tulu, Woody Marks would all be gone and we’d be scrambling to find lesser replacements in the portal. Everyone was done with that traditional air raid scheme, it’s outdated. It’s why it wasn’t successful last year and no one in the country runs that style anymore - they run modifications of it. It’s why Arnett had an up and close view of it for 3 years and decided to blow it up. I’m just really surprised after pulling our hair out watching us offensively this year there are people who act so butthurt we don’t run the air raid anymore.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
last 2 seasons- 16-10 overall, 8-8 in conference, finished 3rd in division both times, and finished ranked this season.

People dismiss that stuff like its the floor when really its damn near our ceiling this century.
Jesus man, if you think the key to our success was the air raid then I’m not sure what to tell you. We averaged 20.2 PPG in SEC play and in the bowl game. That’s 17ing bad

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I don't like splitting the guards and centers into a separate group from the tackles. TE is a different animal but center, guards and tackles should be one group. I doubt it will be separated in reality but I guess we will see.
I don’t have a problem with it. OL is the most important and hardest position to coach. 5 guys with different jobs. I don’t know where else you’d use the additional coach, unless you want someone to help Brock with LBs, but it’s only 3 guys and you have to think Arnett will be involved some there.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Jesus man, if you think the key to our success was the air raid then I’m not sure what to tell you. We averaged 20.2 PPG in SEC play and in the bowl game. That’s 17ing bad
Valid Point but I'da like to have seen what Leach could have done with it this year and next once he got the parts in place as I'm convinced he too knew the limitations he was dealing with and changes were needed. Now he's gone, no need to try and duplicate and be Leach. These new guys are not gonna trash The Air Raid, just run a version that many other programs run. I gotta feeling STATE Fans are gonna be happy with the offense this year.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I dont think it was the sole key to success.

We averaged 25.37ppg in conference play. LSU averaged 28.

You threw in the bowl game, I didnt because why? If you include that, then include all games.
MSU was 8th out of 14 teams for ppg when all games are considered.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I like that we hired Arnett but if you knew he was going to blow away the Air Raid - do you think we could have waited to hire?

I think we're we're going to evolve the offense any way but arnett took a little further to more pro style multiple offense. But we aren't going to a spread power run like Mullen either

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I like Arnett and hope we aren't going big run heavy. It won't work out if we do. We'll see what spring brings.
For whatever reason, we have struggled to get talented WRs for the last 20 years and over multiple coaching staffs. I don't know what the answer is but I fully support building our offense around a solid rushing attack. At least until we figure out how to consistently get legit talent at WR.

But I also don't want to see us running 70% of the time if that's what you mean by run heavy.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

Yes

you can make up for both portal and recruiting class in one year with the right hire

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

The top 5 scoring defenses in the SEC this year were Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, LSU and Texas A&M. Pretty sure we played them all.

The top scoring defense in the entire country was Illinois. That's why you included them.

So 6 of the 9 games in your "analysis" were against some extremely good defensive football teams. But I'm sure there are a lot of coaching geniuses out there who could light up those defenses with our talent.

How many NFL caliber players do you think we started on offense this year??

Edited to add....

We finished the season ranked 40th in the FBS in scoring defense and 43rd in scoring offense. It was a pretty balanced football team if you actually have the ability to consider the opponents.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login