Soccer Post: Southgate steps down as England’s manager…

patdog

May 28, 2007
That would be another pretty uninspiring hire, so yeah, probably. I know he took England to the finals, but other than the 1st half vs Netherlands, they played pretty poorly and benefitted from a fantastic group stage and 1st 2 rounds of knockouts (kind of like Canada benefitting from 2 opponents red cards in the group stage).

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Nope. I suspect the most the US will pay is around $3 million.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Dumb question probably, but what do soccer managers do, exactly?

Baseball is roster management and scheme (agressive baserunning, pitcher usage, etc).
Football is roster, scheme (defensive and offensive strategies, in game play calls, decisions on 4th downs, etc).
Basketball roster, set plays, scheme, decisions, etc.

Futbol... Send the fastest or the ones with the most endurance onto the pitch and?

I'm not belittling the sport, just showing my ignorance to what the guy on the sideline does.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Baseball is roster management and scheme (agressive baserunning, pitcher usage, etc).
Football is roster, scheme (defensive and offensive strategies, in game play calls, decisions on 4th downs, etc).

Futbol... Send the fastest or the ones with the most endurance onto the pitch and?

I'm not belittling the sport, just showing my ignorance to what the guy on the sideline does.
There's a lot of roster management and scheme to coaching soccer. Probably more than in the US sports because of limited substitutions.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That would be another pretty uninspiring hire, so yeah, probably. I know he took England to the finals, but other than the 1st half vs Netherlands, they played pretty poorly and benefitted from a fantastic group stage and 1st 2 rounds of knockouts (kind of like Canada benefitting from 2 opponents red cards in the group stage).
Southgate actually did a fantastic job. They have only made three major finals in their history. This last one was the only one not held in England. You would think they would have a better history seeing that they invented the game.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

They do the same things they do in any sport, manage the roster, set the tactics, control the training, the usual manager stuff.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Southgate actually did a fantastic job. They have only made three major finals in their history. This last one was the only one not held in England. You would think they would have a better history seeing that they invented the game.
He really didn't. If you watched the games, it was pretty obvious.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He did better than any manager in their history except for one, and that one did it at home. They have only been to three major finals, two under him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He did better than any manager in their history except for one, and that one did it at home. They have only been to three major finals, two under him.
They got a whopping 7 points in a group with Denmark, Slovenia & Serbia. Then beat Slovakia in extra time, tied Switzerland, before the Netherlands game where there were fantastic for the 1st half. They scored 8 goals in 7 games and were statistically one of the worst teams at the Euro this year. Yes they made the final. But it was ugly.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Then why don’t you like MSU baseball? **

So you’re saying that Southgate is England’s Lemonis… **

#toogoodtopassup

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
They got a whopping 7 points in a group with Denmark, Slovenia & Serbia. Then beat Slovakia in extra time, tied Switzerland, before the Netherlands game where there were fantastic for the 1st half. They scored 8 goals in 7 games and were statistically one of the worst teams at the Euro this year. Yes they made the final. But it was ugly.
Sounds like Greg 2.0 with a bit more talent on the roster

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sounds like Greg 2.0 with a bit more talent on the roster
Exactly. Except a lot more talent on the roster. Soccer fans all over England are celebrating today. His misuse of Ollie Watkins and Cole Palmer was criminal.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
They still made the final twice under him. Those are the only two times they have ever made the Euro final. He had them pulling WAY above their weight. Everyone, especially England fans, thinks England is a major soccer power because they invented the game and the EPL is so good. They really aren't. They have won one WC, the only time it was held ever held in England, way back in 1966. That is the only major final they have ever been to when Southgate wasn't the manager. As for the EPL, how many English players start for the top sides? The US side is probably beyond hope really. It will never be a top-level side until at least a few of the top athletes in the country start going pro in soccer. Southgate wouldn't change that, but he did very well for England.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Don’t know if this has legs but I’d be thrilled if this was the hire

Probably about the best we could hope for. Was great at Tottenham, not so much at Chelsea (Chelsea had a lot of other problems besides the manager though for several managers). No international managing experience, but good tactically, a good motivator and generally got the most out of his players.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login