Sorry, Harvard. Everyone Wants to Go to College in the South Now

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
“Five people stopped me and told me how kind it was and what a sweet gesture I was making,” he said. “No way would that have happened in New York.”

At the University of South Carolina in Columbia, Alicia Caracciolo, a junior, said it takes her about two weeks to acclimate to the pace of the South every time she returns from her home in New York. At the grocery store she reminds herself to pause and slow down. “If you go and you don’t end up learning something about the cashier, you did it wrong,” she said.
I shared this post with a friend of mine that grew up in the Bronx and he shouted out: ********!

He said, "Many people in my old neighborhood would have stopped him and told him what a sweet gesture he made, so they could get him in a better position to rob him. You got to figure if the guy could afford to buy flowers, he probably had more cash on him."

• Haha
Reactions: PSU87

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I glanced through this thread, but only for bemusement purposes.

But, that said......if a kid can get into and afford Harvard, I think he (or she) is better off in the long run than attending University of Alabama, or South Carolina, or even Duke or Vanderbilt.
Not so sure. Alabama had their first black student president a few years ago. He was from Virginia and got a full ride. He turned down the Ivies.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Not so sure. Alabama had their first black student president a few years ago. He was from Virginia and got a full ride. He turned down the Ivies.
Happens, always has.

Whether someone is better off going to Harvard or Yale versus a state school, irrespective of geography, depends on the individual.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I was using the old scale of 1600, probably should have said 1450, but most people wouldnt believe that. And throw in a bunch of AP+ course as well. Davidson turn downs use Harvard as their back up school.
Not sure what you mean … the old 1600 scale isn’t that much different than the new 1600 scale (scores ticked down last year). Regardless, 1450 on the SAT isn’t likely to get you into Harvard. The average score at Harvard is 1520. The average SAT score at Davidson is a 1422. A ton of AP courses is the norm for even 2nd tier schools. Tufts is a 2nd tier option up this way and the average SAT score is 1465.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
In my kids’ school, no one talks about southern schools unless it’s Duke, Vanderbilt, or UNC (UVA too since it’s our public) unless for sports; they are way more excited about Davidson than big Southern publics.
An acquaintance of mine attended Davidson on a football scholarship. He said (at that time) ALL students had their laundry cleaned for free and a beautiful golf course that was free to the students.

He said that once his kids left the nest and he divorced his wife, he dreamed of going back to live as a perpetual student at Davidson.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login