Sorry, Harvard. Everyone Wants to Go to College in the South Now

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
“Five people stopped me and told me how kind it was and what a sweet gesture I was making,” he said. “No way would that have happened in New York.”

At the University of South Carolina in Columbia, Alicia Caracciolo, a junior, said it takes her about two weeks to acclimate to the pace of the South every time she returns from her home in New York. At the grocery store she reminds herself to pause and slow down. “If you go and you don’t end up learning something about the cashier, you did it wrong,” she said.
I shared this post with a friend of mine that grew up in the Bronx and he shouted out: ********!

He said, "Many people in my old neighborhood would have stopped him and told him what a sweet gesture he made, so they could get him in a better position to rob him. You got to figure if the guy could afford to buy flowers, he probably had more cash on him."

• Haha
Reactions: BobPSU92 and PSU87

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
I glanced through this thread, but only for bemusement purposes.

But, that said......if a kid can get into and afford Harvard, I think he (or she) is better off in the long run than attending University of Alabama, or South Carolina, or even Duke or Vanderbilt.
Not so sure. Alabama had their first black student president a few years ago. He was from Virginia and got a full ride. He turned down the Ivies.

Reactions: Bison13

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Not so sure. Alabama had their first black student president a few years ago. He was from Virginia and got a full ride. He turned down the Ivies.
Happens, always has.

Whether someone is better off going to Harvard or Yale versus a state school, irrespective of geography, depends on the individual.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I was using the old scale of 1600, probably should have said 1450, but most people wouldnt believe that. And throw in a bunch of AP+ course as well. Davidson turn downs use Harvard as their back up school.
Not sure what you mean … the old 1600 scale isn’t that much different than the new 1600 scale (scores ticked down last year). Regardless, 1450 on the SAT isn’t likely to get you into Harvard. The average score at Harvard is 1520. The average SAT score at Davidson is a 1422. A ton of AP courses is the norm for even 2nd tier schools. Tufts is a 2nd tier option up this way and the average SAT score is 1465.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
In my kids’ school, no one talks about southern schools unless it’s Duke, Vanderbilt, or UNC (UVA too since it’s our public) unless for sports; they are way more excited about Davidson than big Southern publics.
An acquaintance of mine attended Davidson on a football scholarship. He said (at that time) ALL students had their laundry cleaned for free and a beautiful golf course that was free to the students.

He said that once his kids left the nest and he divorced his wife, he dreamed of going back to live as a perpetual student at Davidson.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
An acquaintance of mine attended Davidson on a football scholarship. He said (at that time) ALL students had their laundry cleaned for free and a beautiful golf course that was free to the students.

He said that once his kids left the nest and he divorced his wife, he dreamed of going back to live as a perpetual student at Davidson.
That reminds me, for my first year in Stuart Hall, ‘74-‘75, we had a maid cleaning our rooms.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

One of my best interns went to Davidson and she raved about their Eating Houses. Bright kid.

• Wow
Reactions: BobPSU92

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
A rather simple concept the SEC has noticed and is implementing - improve academics. The reason why is also noticeable - the Big Ten as a nationwide competitor has schools with better academic rankings and attracts high number of qualified applicants.

Case in point - my oldest Grandson is a senior at Ravenswood HS in Franklin, TN, suburb of Nashville and a very high influence by Vanderbilt. He has had all AP courses for 2 years plus and will be at or near the very top of his class. He received a full academic ride to USMA and turned it down (he has been #1 in JROTC for 2 years), will not attend Duke since they do not credit AP courses. TN has social volunteer requirements for all grades in HS and must be included in academic reporting. Several SEC schools are offering 4 year academic scholarships for the best students in high school classes all over the South - Bama, Georgia among them. U of Florida is hard to get into, but Florida State does offer FL residents lessor qualification standards.
Of course this will be his decision, he does not want cold weather, and since we have been in Naples, FL for 20+ years - our Penn State influence will not deter him.
Duke credits many if not 90% of ap courses. You need to get a 4 or 5 at end of year test to qualify depending on class. If you get a 3 which is good you do not get credit.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
When you look at the % of applicants that are accepted ... this is from back in 2018 ...

SCHOOL (STATE)FALL 2018 ACCEPTANCE RATEU.S. NEWS RANK AND CATEGORY
University of California—Los Angeles14%20, National Universities
University of California—Berkeley15%22 (tie), National Universities
University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill22%29 (tie), National Universities
Georgia Institute of Technology23%29 (tie), National Universities
University of Michigan—Ann Arbor23%25 (tie), National Universities
University of Virginia26%28, National Universities
University of California—Irvine29%36, National Universities
University of California—San Diego30%37 (tie), National Universities
University of California—Santa Barbara32%34 (tie), National Universities
San Diego State University34%147 (tie), National Universities
Texas A&M University—Commerce34%293-381, National Universities
College of William and Mary (VA)37%40 (tie), National Universities
Florida State University37%57 (tie), National Universities
CUNY—City College (NY)38%228 (tie), National Universities
Florida A&M University39%254 (tie), National Universities
University of Florida39%34 (tie), National Universities
University of Texas—Austin39%48 (tie), National Universities
Binghamton University—SUNY (NY)40%79 (tie), National Universities
University of California—Davis41%39, National Universities
Stony Brook University—SUNY (NY)42%91 (tie), National Universities
Many of these schools have a lower acceptance rate now. Duke had a 5.1 percent rate. It’s lowest ever!

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Duke credits many if not 90% of ap courses. You need to get a 4 or 5 at end of year test to qualify depending on class. If you get a 3 which is good you do not get credit.
Another reason some of the kids are going to southern schools, more accept a 3 compared to here in the mid Atlantic where many are only taking 5’s. Good student two years ago went to Auburn for engineering because he got credit on the Calc BC test for a 4, (and a couple others as well) giving him about 12 more credits compared to his other schools.

Steve JG

Mar 25, 2024

Davidson is the quintessential "pre" school as in pre med and pre law. Sort of like F&M used to be. Couple of kids my kids grew up with went there and had very developed pre med process. Fairly rigorous school

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

they still do the Laundry for students, they also have about 300 (500?) acres over on Lake Norman to play on. Have a beach, a marina etc.

Reactions: lionlover

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Another reason some of the kids are going to southern schools, more accept a 3 compared to here in the mid Atlantic where many are only taking 5’s. Good student two years ago went to Auburn for engineering because he got credit on the Calc BC test for a 4, (and a couple others as well) giving him about 12 more credits compared to his other schools.
I don’t think anyone takes a 3. 4 or 5 is the norm for all schools depending on the class north or south.

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure what you mean … the old 1600 scale isn’t that much different than the new 1600 scale (scores ticked down last year). Regardless, 1450 on the SAT isn’t likely to get you into Harvard. The average score at Harvard is 1520. The average SAT score at Davidson is a 1422. A ton of AP courses is the norm for even 2nd tier schools. Tufts is a 2nd tier option up this way and the average SAT score is 1465.
I thought they had gone to a 2400 scale but I guess I am wrong on that. Heck it appears Davidson does not require SAT score anymore..... only 11% it seems enrolled from the NE.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I don’t think anyone takes a 3. 4 or 5 is the norm for all schools depending on the class north or south.

depends on the course and major of study for the kid. Many times a 3 goes in as a gen ed credit in that discipline but you can do a search through apstdents.collegeboard.com and see which schools take it. Some like Ithaca and Boston U are even listed to take a 1 on the exam but it does not declare if its for credit of just for placement.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
depends on the course and major of study for the kid. Many times a 3 goes in as a gen ed credit in that discipline but you can do a search through apstdents.collegeboard.com and see which schools take it. Some like Ithaca and Boston U are even listed to take a 1 on the exam but it does not declare if its for credit of just for placement.
A 1 for Boston. That is crazy. When my kids had the a 3 think for 1 class each I said whaaaaatttt!! They didn’t get a 3 again.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
I thought they had gone to a 2400 scale but I guess I am wrong on that. Heck it appears Davidson does not require SAT score anymore..... only 11% it seems enrolled from the NE.

There's been a bunch of movement in the scaling, but it's back to a 1600 scale now. It was 1600 ... but then just after I graduated it was kept at a 1600 scale, but the scores were tweaked to be higher, and that pissed me off because then we'd be competing with kids with higher SAT scores for grad school openings (not sure if it actually factored in, but it pissed me off, regardless). Then they went to a 2400 scale in the aughts. And I think about a decade ago they went back to a 1600 scale, but it's slightly "easier" (as in, the same performance nets you a higher score) than it was before they switched to a 2400 scale.

Last edited:

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Davidson is the quintessential "pre" school as in pre med and pre law. Sort of like F&M used to be. Couple of kids my kids grew up with went there and had very developed pre med process. Fairly rigorous school
My acquaintance who graduated from Davidson was a lawyer.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Yeah, my former intern went to law school after.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
A 1 for Boston. That is crazy. When my kids had the a 3 think for 1 class each I said whaaaaatttt!! They didn’t get a 3 again.
Yeah, I saw that with Ithaca and Boston and thought it was crazy but again they might not actually give the kids credit, it may just be for placement purposes. Especially if they’re in a liberal arts major then they probably get their math class waived.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login