South Carolina fired their HC Mark Kingston...

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Lemonis coached IU to three regionals in four seasons— which ain’t a small feat for a B1G school.
Agreed.

Cannizzaro was seen at the time as a pretty savvy late hire of an assistant coach on the rise. I seem to recall that the LSU coach was pissed off ar the time.

Cannizarro had only been any sort of coach, ever, for 2 years. Had not ever even coached travel or rec ball in all likelihood. Had never had anything close to the level of responsibility required to run an SEC program. It was a joke of a hire from the experience level to the character issues. Unfortunately, the list of coaches who would have taken the job at that point on the calendar was pretty short. So, we took a calculated risk that failed horribly, but fortunately were able to cut bait soon enough to prevent long term damage. Should have just hired Henderson as Interim for 2017 and then made the long term hire after, if we’re Monday morning QB-ing that decision alone.

Best hire State could have made at the time.
Agreed, but only because we had an in with him, which is the whole point of the post.

But still coached State to a CWS in his second tenure.

And finished with a losing SEC record and only 1 super regional appearance in 7 years. Was a lazy hire with suboptimal results in what turned out to be a critical juncture in our program with OM, Ark, USC, and Vandy all starting an ascent to another tier.

A bit more than that — Mac came back to State as head coach in waiting. Smart hire by LT & RP.
And then turned 4 years of middling performance into dipping out for a league rival, where he was fired within 5-6 years. Horrible hire due largely to his loyalty to Polk / MSU not matching theirs to him. Never had much going for him outside of Florida recruiting connections. How different would things have been if we hired Bianco or Corbin instead of McMahon? But no, we made the nepotism hire and continued to stroke Polk’s ego even after he was gone.

1970s college baseball was seen as a nonentity back then.

RP coached Georgia Southern to the 1973 CWS. That District tournament was in Starkville incidentally so he was not an unknown.
Considering our only competition for him was an assistant job at Miami, I’d say that it wasn’t some major hire of a known commodity. He also missed the postseason in 2 of 4 years at GA Southern. Still turned out great obviously, but at the time his resume would be about the same as what Lemonis’ was.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Who did Can get to campus besides Tanner Allen? I see this comment a lot about Can but don’t get the recruiting love.

We ended up with him bc Cohen insisted on taking the AD job in October and literally said he pulled up a list of top assistants on D1 baseball to start his search. Great process
McLeod, Hancock, Rowdy, Allen were all in that 2017 class.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Who did Can get to campus besides Tanner Allen? I see this comment a lot about Can but don’t get the recruiting love.

We ended up with him bc Cohen insisted on taking the AD job in October and literally said he pulled up a list of top assistants on D1 baseball to start his search. Great process
McLeod, Hancock, Rowdy, Allen were all in that 2017 class weren't they.? Trying to remember and that's not always good but was Foscue and Westburg in that class? I lose track...
We loaded up on Juco after that pitching wise I believe. White & some of those were 2018 I think when he got let go.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Kinda surprising to me, but I did hear some of their fans on a podcast last night say that if they kept him, they are not watching a single game.
Well.. if he’s lost some of their fans on a podcast, there was no turning the battleship around.***

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Mcleod was Can’s. Rowdy, Westy, Fos and Hancock committed long before Cannizzaro took the job.
But he kept them and didn't lose them. They could've dropped with a coach change. Bednar was a Foxhall guy who he basically brought over but I give him to Lemonis. Not sure who to give 2018 to LOL.
Lemonis has been our Chizik. Thanks for the title, but you can't just sit on it.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
McLeod, Hancock, Rowdy, Allen were all in that 2017 class weren't they.? Trying to remember and that's not always good but was Foscue and Westburg in that class? I lose track...
We loaded up on Juco after that pitching wise I believe. White & some of those were 2018 I think when he got let go.
All those guys were committed (and some signed) long before Cann took the job. All those except Allen were Cohen recruits.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
All those guys were committed (and some signed) long before Cann took the job. All those except Allen were Cohen recruits.
Again, they all could've left when Cohen did. They signed with Canz. Just like Lemonis gets credit for guys committed to the previous couple. It all washes out. Now go look at our recruits from 21-24 which are for sure Lemonis. Lemonis simply hasn't gotten it done in recruiting and there's no argument there. When he says they got lazy, I believe him.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
But he kept them and didn't lose them. They could've dropped with a coach change. Bednar was a Foxhall guy who he basically brought over but I give him to Lemonis.
Lemonis has been our Chizik. Thanks for the title, but you can't just sit on it.
That’s just not how college baseball recruiting works…..like, at all. You’ll have an occasional straggler like Tanner Allen or Will Bednar who will follow a coach they like. But its very uncommon, and nobody loses more than like 1-2 players in a baseball coaching change (and usually those losses are addition by subtraction).

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
But he kept them and didn't lose them. They could've dropped with a coach change. Bednar was a Foxhall guy who he basically brought over but I give him to Lemonis. Not sure who to give 2018 to LOL.
Maybe but it’s probably because he kept Coggin or they just wanted to play for us. There was also a very tight window between Cohen’s resignation and signing day- kids likely don’t want to deal with opening everything back up again. Regardless, I dont think that’s indicative of how he could recruit from scratch. I just never saw anything in his short time here to support the recruiting accolades he gets.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
WIth the NIL world we live in, I believe our next coaching hire should be George Soros.****

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Y'all's frequent arguments about who gets credit for which recruit during our coaching carousel is always entertaining.

Or, maybe it's not, at all.

Can't decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Just want to throw this out there, but there’s a guy who just won the SEC at Kentucky who spent 7 years here and brought in a lot of talent as recruiting coordinator.
Might be worth a phone call.
So we’re going to run off the guy that won a national title and then be patient through this?

IMG_1545.jpeg

Nick might have some questions.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
So we’re going to run off the guy that won a national title and then be patient through this?

View attachment 584859

Maybe, maybe not. I don’t think in his second job, at a place with more history, he’d have as much time to get off the ground.
But if, as some are suggesting, we’d have a hard time getting anyone decent to take the job, there’s at least a guy with some connection to the program and a track record. And he might laugh in our face, I have no idea.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

View attachment 584859

No, we run off the guy that hasn't recruited, developed, or properly evaluated a damn lick since an almost ready made team won a natty for him and has us in full rebuild next season.
Same guy whose pitching coach bailed him out this year.
Actually nobody is running off anyone but it's more dramatic to say so. We aren't going to fire Lemonis. That'll probably happen in a couple years if he doesn't leave on his own.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Oh, my bad. That narrative is alive and well on here lol
It really is quite the narrative. I wonder if all the people that use it consider both sides of it. But of course they don’t.

Example below.

No, we run off the guy that hasn't recruited, developed, or properly evaluated a damn lick since an almost ready made team won a natty for him and has us in full rebuild next season.
Same guy whose pitching coach bailed him out this year.
Actually nobody is running off anyone but it's more dramatic to say so. We aren't going to fire Lemonis. That'll probably happen in a couple years if he doesn't leave on his own.
…..and then, whoever we replace him with gets a 100% free pass with no judgment at all either way until at least Year 4.

Because, no matter what happens, its “somebody else’s players” for Years 1, 2, and 3.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login