South Florida Building $340 Million On Site Stadium

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly.

I really don't think the colleges will be a part of the solution, outside of what they already do, which I alluded to in post #16 (last paragraph).

Agree with this. Whether gifted and bright Mississippians leave the state at age 18 when they go to college or at age 22 when they get their first job…..doesn’t make that much difference. They have absolutely no spending power or ability to reform centuries worth of awful decisions from state policymakers during those 4 years.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I think you just hit on something here. MSU has been touting huge enrollment numbers for years now, and all the economic development around Starkville that comes with this. It'll get ugly if a lot of that is sitting vacant.

So yeah I agree, we're probably going to get even more dubmasses, and more high achievers will leave. And the middle class pays for it all. But it's not like that's not something we are not used to.

So I get it. We'll eventually have to convince some high achievers to come 'home', OR find a way to recruit other people, from different areas with different ideas, to come here. What's most likely? I'm going with the latter. Entice them with cheap land or something, I don't really know. None of it matters though, without Jackson getting its sh*t together, because that's where people would want to go, there or the Coast, which will be wiped out every 35 years. Maybe Natchez or Vicksburg for those weird types that like to renovate old sh*t.

Yep. I expect MSU to go Full Dubmass.

But I also expect Keenum to get things done during the Cliff regarding help for high achievers.

In the meantime, while we're going Full Dubmass, Clemson is gearing up for go for the AAU.

It's a 12-Year Plan that's going to put MSU far behind.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. I expect MSU to go Full Dubmass.

But I also expect Keenum to get things done during the Cliff regarding help for high achievers.

In the meantime, while we're going Full Dubmass, Clemson is gearing up for go for the AAU.

It's a 12-Year Plan that's going to put MSU far behind.

We are a long way from Clemson. We need to pump out a lot of graduates who will donate back, before we take the next step.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We are a long way from Clemson. We need to pump out a lot of graduates who will donate back, before we take the next step.
Baby steps, Goat.

We’re going to be far behind but we need to upgrade our selectivity and financial helping of students to move up the academic rankings.

Upgraded selectivity attracts a larger percentage of high achievers.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Baby steps, Goat.

We’re going to be far behind but we need to upgrade our selectivity and financial helping of students to move up the academic rankings.

Upgraded selectivity attracts a larger percentage of high achievers.
I get what you’re saying, I do. But I look at it like, baby steps to be like Clemson, or just go a different path to be like MSU. We have so much going against us, why try to be like the blue bloods of anything?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I'm not running down MSU. I stated facts that we have complained about on this board for a long time. State doesn't really give great scholarships to excellent students. They do very well for average students to compensate though. A 24 ACT is going to get a $2000 a year scholarship to State. Ole Miss gives that same student $1500. No other SEC school gives a 24 a scholarship.

The problem is when you hand out $2000 for a 24, you have less money for the 30+. That's why 30+ kids are leaving Mississippi. It's a statewide problem. And the ones that are staying are leaving according to the state auditor's report. Fixing Jackson and Stopping the Brain Drain should be Priority 1a and 1b in this state.
Look, I was NOT aggressively recruited at State at all. Other schools, particularly Ole Miss and out of state schools, were harassing me to visit. Never heard a peep from Southern.

But, As for scholly money, I ended up pocketing about 2k a semester after all tuition, room/board, books, etc were covered by State.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I get what you’re saying, I do. But I look at it like, baby steps to be like Clemson, or just go a different path to be like MSU. We have so much going against us, why try to be like the blue bloods of anything?

When considering the impact of Ayers in this state, being a blue blood in Mississippi *is* the different path.

Career and workforce education is taken care of by the jucos as well as the universities that have programs in such subjects as nursing.

So why not take steps towards being a blue blood and attract out of state students?

As has been mentioned many times (and most recently by Mr. Cook way earlier in this thread), Mississippi is losing population.

If we continue to just emphasize in-state recruiting, MSU’s student pool is going to be smaller and smaller.

And as 615 noted, if in-state HS students and their families find that it’s a much better investment to go to universities in other states, there are going to be out-of-state folks who won’t even think of us now.

I’m kind of surprised that out of state students do consider State now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
When considering the impact of Ayers in this state, being a blue blood in Mississippi *is* the different path.

Career and workforce education is taken care of by the jucos as well as the universities that have programs in such subjects as nursing.

So why not take steps towards being a blue blood and attract out of state students?

As has been mentioned many times (and most recently by Mr. Cook way earlier in this thread), Mississippi is losing population.

If we continue to just emphasize in-state recruiting, MSU’s student pool is going to be smaller and smaller.

And as 615 noted, if in-state HS students and their families find that it’s a much better investment to go to universities in other states, there are going to be out-of-state folks who won’t even think of us now.

I’m kind of surprised that out of state students do consider State now.
MSU is tied at the hip to the state of Mississippi. When I say blue blood, the comparison is with schools like Clemson. Or even Ole Miss, as they are tied to us too because of the state. The only reason they get out-of-staters is due to their party reputation and branding in various cities.

What you say about in-state recruiting, that's why I'm so big on getting the actual population in MS turned around. I just don't think the universities can do much to control that, other than making the university towns decent to live in and around.

100% agree that we need to attract out-of-state students. I just don't think being selective is the way. Fighting a losing battle. That's trying to win a football recruiting battle against Georgia. We are the People's University, so something in that vein is about all we have. Trying to be exclusive won't end well for us. I guess the 'high achievers' will have to get their fancy status degree elsewhere, and just be a fan of MSU sports.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
100% agree that we need to attract out-of-state students. I just don't think being selective is the way.
You’re fascinated with Clemson.

You know I’m in higher ed and I know a few people who work there.

Clemson made its name by providing a quality education by Northeastern US standards and attracted them because weather in the Northeast can be brutal during the winter.

If MSU is perceived by in-state high achievers as not providing a quality education by their standards, you know the Yankees aren’t gonna give a 17 about us.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You’re fascinated with Clemson.

You know I’m in higher ed and I know a few people who work there.

Clemson made its name by providing a quality education by Northeastern US standards and attracted them because weather in the Northeast can be brutal during the winter.

If MSU is perceived by in-state high achievers as not providing a quality education by their standards, you know the Yankees aren’t gonna give a 17 about us.
Impossible to have a discussion (and one where I am trying to actually learn something) with the annoying smartass quips like that, especially when they make no sense. I'm not fascinated with them at all.....you brought them up earlier in the thread, and they happen to be modeled after MSU and is a state that COULD be similar to ours, in some ways. Seems like a natural comparison. I'd prefer you save the snark for mstateglfr or similar.

But thanks for the info in the second paragraph. That makes sense.

As far MSU's plan, we don't have to market to elitist New Englanders. Maybe we market to rural Illinois and Indiana? A more affordable STEM-centered education in a warm state very near the coast?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
As far MSU's plan, we don't have to market to elitist New Englanders. Maybe we market to rural Illinois and Indiana? A more affordable STEM-centered education in a warm state very near the coast?

You’re still chasing places that are losing population.

Illinois:

Indiana:

For universities, the main target is suburbia— that’s what’s growing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You’re still chasing places that are losing population.

Illinois:

Indiana:

For universities, the main target is suburbia— that’s what’s growing.
Sounds like a good thing to me. Areas where people are willing to leave. And isn't that the same for New England?

There are still plenty of rural areas to choose from, at least for the rest of our lifetimes. And it seems to me like those people are EXACTLY who may enjoy a rural MS lifestyle, in the decent towns anyway, like Tupelo.

I personally think it's North, and Northeast MS, that can be marketed heavily here. Memphis, Jackson and Hattiesburg/Coast are going to be what they are, they actually have an economic heartbeat. But the Golden Triangle to Oxford and back to the Northeast is ripe for an influx of workers who may like that rural lifestyle, but still safe.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He knows I wasn't running down MSU and he knows I am right.

Go into any high school in this state and pull out the top students. The majority of them WANT to leave the state. Some will have the opportunity, some won't and will end up at State or Ole Miss. But then a big percentage of them will leave after graduating college.

Society is rewarding mediocrity. MSU has made the commitment to give scholarships to more in-state students with lower test scores. It attracts more students but drives higher achievers elsewhere.

When all is said and done, I figure State will add on an additional $2000 + the state grants, which will make tuition very little, if any. But the initial offers from the admission teams at several colleges are very interesting. The point of my post, was that the Florida schools have way cheaper tuition, and they waive out of state for high achievers. South Florida being an AAU school, there is a lot of value there if you aren't interested in big time athletics.
State doesn't have a medical program beyond premed. No law school. So it's easy to say top students go elsewhere because those schools that do have those generally get them. It's engineering or vet school here. And that's 100% on the state board by design.
As far money, my kid got great money at State. Better than any other public university in MS. As far as school rankings, be careful which ones you look at. All are not equal or even legitimate. Most kids wanting out of MS want out due to their perception of MS fueled by the haters. And MS is lacking, but so is any other location on this planet. It's about perception and point of view. Basically opinion.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And also Mississippi.

So definitely NOT a good thing.

We need to attract non-dubmass people.
Just talking in circles at this point. We all know we're losing population, that's the main problem we are trying to fix.

By the way, there's a lot of area between the elitist self-proclaimed 'high-achievers' (in the classroom, anyway), and the dubmasses.

Unless you're in any long-time liberal city in the US, which has totally hollowed out and destroyed its middle class.

And middle class is exactly what would fit into Mississippi.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm gonna throw a flag on the play of referring to any potential or present MSU student as a 'dubmass.'
"After further review, the flag for 'targeting' is waived. There is a second penalty is for 'taunting' on #17. This penalty is still enforced. 15 yards from the end of the play and an automatic first down, This #17's first unsportsmanlike call of the game."

@Maroon Eagle

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Just talking in circles at this point. We all know we're losing population, that's the main problem we are trying to fix.
The term is "death spiral." It will be interesting to see if Mississippi can experience some sort of "renaissance."

I am hopeful but still dubious that it will happen anytime soon

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login