SPD pulling over people on S Montgomery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So I’d love for you to do the stats on the last 40 years on how many people have died at the hands of a man wearing a full white hood vs a man wearing a hoodie.

One is way more dangerous in todays times.

So do statistics and history matter to you?

hate is hate right?

'Officer, he had a hoodie on. A hoodie! I have never been more scared in my life...it was a hoodie!'

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Bc they are morons. And not just “ding donging”.
Give us context for that picture. It was just taken today at 11:44am?...guessing the time is wrong.
Anyways, how does that pic prove it isn't just kids ding dong ditching?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Give us context for that picture. It was just taken today at 11:44am?...guessing the time is wrong.
Anyways, how does that pic prove it isn't just kids ding dong ditching?
It was at 414 am. No idea of his intent. Don’t care. Stop it before someone gets hurt or robbed or killed. You know like do your GD job as a police officer?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
If someone rings your bell multiple times at 330 am and your kids are home, it’s fair to go to the door armed.

If you open the door armed and you see a hooded person, what happens to him next is his/her fault. Not yours or mine.
This seems like a felony
Really? Which part?

In Mississippi if you fear for your life, you can protect yourself .

The part where you shoot someone just for ringing your doorbell.

They aren't actively trying to break in, they aren't yelling aggressively, and you chose to open the 17ing door so you clearly aren't fearing for your life(if you were, the door would stay closed and locked).

So the part where you shoot someone for simply ringing your doorbell and standing on your front step waiting for someone to answer the door is the part that seems like a felony.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The part where you shoot someone just for ringing your doorbell.

They aren't actively trying to break in, they aren't yelling aggressively, and you chose to open the 17ong door so you clearly aren't fearing for your life(if you were, the door would stay closed and locked).

So the part where you shoot someone for simply ringing your doorbell and standing on your front step waiting for someone to answer the door is the part that seems like a felony.
You can’t define what fearing for my life is.

I’m sure you’ll try and you’ll be inconsistent as 17 about it (Mike brown).

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You can’t define what fearing for my life is.

I’m sure you’ll try and you’ll be inconsistent as 17 about it (Mike brown).
You are correct, I can't define that.
I do think that anyone who would choose to unlock a locked door in order to shoot someone standing in the other side of the door doing nothing illegal would find claiming they shot the person because they feared for their life to be a tough sell.

I mean, just don't open the door and you stay safe.
You do realize that the 'fear for my life' argument is scrutinized...right?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
So let’s just allow them to keep staking the neighborhoods so they can get the home owners at the right time when they are gone?

this thread was started bc the police aren’t doing their jobs.

if they won’t maybe the homeowners will.
Sounds like the police should be doing something if it is as you described, but the point still stands, the homeowner is safer with the door closed. If they are trying to case the neighborhood and all owners open their doors, it’s easy to see who is not home. If no one opens the door, it’s harder to case the neighborhood.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It was at 414 am. No idea of his intent. Don’t care.
You don't know his intent and you don't care, but you posted the pic as evidence that they aren't just dingdong ditching.

How is that proof when you say you don't even know what it is evidence of?

This seems like one of your emotional rants where the more you post the worse it looks and others start cringing a bit.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
So I’d love for you to do the stats on the last 40 years on how many people have died at the hands of a man wearing a full white hood vs a man wearing a hoodie.

One is way more dangerous in todays times.

So do statistics and history matter to you?

hate is hate right?
I doubt you'll find any data about homicides by people wearing hoodies just like you'll probably not find any data about homicides by people wearing steel-toed boots - because they're just random pieces of attire. Though, as always, if you have actual facts or statistics to support the position you're taking, I'll absolutely look at them. You never seem to, though.

It's much more probable that we can find data on killings by the klan and other people with white supremacist ideologies. It's going to be a lot more than you're thinking, probably.

You seem to have some stereotype in your mind about people who wear hoodies. From my experience, the only people who hold those kinds of stereotypes also probably have those white hoods and robes in their closets. Not saying you do, but that's the kind of company that holds the same opinion you seem to be holding.

Just don’t open the door if an all white wardrobed loser comes to it. Pretty simple right?
Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. If a klansman shows up at your door, he's probably not alone and they're probably all armed. I would not open the door in that situation. But again, I generally don't open my door to any stranger I'm not expecting at any time of the day or night.

No idea of his intent. Don’t care. Stop it before someone gets hurt or robbed or killed. You know like do your GD job as a police officer?
Not to repeat myself but you are mistaken about what the job of a police officer is. Their only job is to protect the state. Courts up and down this country, including the supreme court, have consistently ruled that the police have no obligation to protect private property.

You may not like that. You may think it doesn't make sense. You may even point to other examples where they did stop a crime and/or track down a perp after the fact. But they don't have to do it if they don't want to.

Also, you don't know his intent. But you know it needs to be stopped. Sure, that makes sense.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Really? Which part?

In Mississippi if you fear for your life, you can protect yourself .
I’m skeptical “But he had on a hoodie” would prevent you from at least being indicted. Especially if they’re not attempting to break in.

You might have been inferring that they had a gun, or that an altercation had started, etc. I could see that changing things. But, I’m not sure you can walk out and start blasting.

A Texas jury convicted an Uber driver of murder for shooting a protestor in 2020. That protestor was armed with an assault rifle and dressed in fatigues. I get it - TX vs MS, but still.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You don't know his intent and you don't care, but you posted the pic as evidence that they aren't just dingdong ditching.

How is that proof when you say you don't even know what it is evidence of?

This seems like one of your emotional rants where the more you post the worse it looks and others start cringing a bit.
How do you know the intent of an all white masked robed individual in a black neighborhood?

• Haha
Reactions: WrightGuy821

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m skeptical “But he had on a hoodie” would prevent you from at least being indicted. Especially if they’re not attempting to break in.

You might have been inferring that they had a gun, or that an altercation had started, etc. I could see that changing things. But, I’m not sure you can walk out and start blasting.

A Texas jury convicted an Uber driver of murder for shooting a protestor in 2020. That protestor was armed with an assault rifle and dressed in fatigues. I get it - TX vs MS, but still.
I opened my door and a hooded individual was standing there and I was scared.
I panicked.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Private property vs public.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I panicked.
I truly hope this situation does not play out for you… because if it does and your internet posting history comes up, you are probably 17’d.

Everyone has to do whatever they feel is best for themselves and their family. I wouldn’t want to be in that situation. But I’m afraid if the situation plays out exactly as you have described (guy in a hoodie not just standing there not showing a weapon) probably wouldn’t play out too good for someone who shot the guy just standing there at a doorbell.

I think if it were me, I’d make sure the guy at the doorbell knew I was armed and the cops were on the way. I’d advise him to not come in my house. But my door would not be opened, at least not by me.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I recommend not opening the door. If they mean you harm, keep the door shut and locked. If they are being stupid kids, keep the door shut and locked.

It’s not my house, but I wouldn’t blame someone for opening the door. You should be able to do so without ridicule in your own GD home.
Well, obviously there are concerned citizens wondering why the heck you’re inside a house that you don’t own. **

Come On No GIF by BBC

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I panicked.
I would expect you to face felony charges. Your freedom probably rides on the ability of your legal team to create additional probable cause to fear for your life. They had threatened you or attempted to enter your home (it just wasn’t captured by the Ring); you thought the outline of his cellphone was a firearm; etc.

Im not sure a spike in local crime would even be admissible. That might depend on the judge. That could be one of the focuses of your appeals - ha.

Maybe one of our SPS legal friends can shed some light on it for us.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
How do you know the intent of an all white masked robed individual in a black neighborhood?
I don't.
- Maybe they want to draw attention and make people feel uncomfortable.
- Maybe they want to try and have an incident happen where they are attacked to try and prove a point.
- Maybe their car broke down, their phone dies, and they are looking for the past payphone in the country.
- Maybe they are heading to hurt someone.

I have no 17ing idea.

But you apparently do know the intent of the person(and others) you put a picture of up on a message board. And based on your question posed to me, it looks like you know that intent based only on the lid's skin color.
You claim you know his intent based on a pic, you then say you have no idea his intent, and then you hint at knowing his intent by asking me a race/skin color based question.

Like I said- this is one of those threads where the more you post the cringier it gets.

Reactions: FQDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Even if it’s “kids having fun” it’s still stupid and will be tragic.

But it’s not. They are looking for people who aren’t home so they can steal.

Lot of theft been happening in those neighborhoods the last few years.

Nothing ever “major” but they gonna FA&FO.

Which neighborhoods?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I always see people complaining on Nextdoor about this and ding Dong ditching saying someone is going to get shot. If the kids are doing either of these correctly, they will be halfway down the street by the time the homeowner opens the front door, so why would anyone be shot?
According to Nextdoor, kids who do Ding-Dong-and-Dash pranks will being pulling home invasions in a few short years. That app is built for alarmists.

Reactions: mcdawg22 and FQDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I truly hope this situation does not play out for you… because if it does and your internet posting history comes up, you are probably 17’d.

Everyone has to do whatever they feel is best for themselves and their family. I wouldn’t want to be in that situation. But I’m afraid if the situation plays out exactly as you have described (guy in a hoodie not just standing there not showing a weapon) probably wouldn’t play out too good for someone who shot the guy just standing there at a doorbell.

I think if it were me, I’d make sure the guy at the doorbell knew I was armed and the cops were on the way. I’d advise him to not come in my house. But my door would not be opened, at least not by me.
I’m speaking hypothetically.

As I’ve stated from the beginning of this thread and the other thread several weeks ago, the police could fix this very easily. Why won’t they?

It’s a trend. Follow the trend. If you don’t have the man power, skip the speeding tickets in the day and patrol the neighborhoods at night. It’s really simple.
I would expect you to face felony charges. Your freedom probably rides on the ability of your legal team to create additional probable cause to fear for your life. They had threatened you or attempted to enter your home (it just wasn’t captured by the Ring); you thought the outline of his cellphone was a firearm; etc.

Im not sure a spike in local crime would even be admissible. That might depend on the judge. That could be one of the focuses of your appeals - ha.

Maybe one of our SPS legal friends can shed some light on it for us.
so again. Answer the question. White guy in a black neighborhood beats on door and black person feels threatened and shoots white guy.

do you support felony charges in that case? Yes or no?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don't.
- Maybe they want to draw attention and make people feel uncomfortable.
- Maybe they want to try and have an incident happen where they are attacked to try and prove a point.
- Maybe their car broke down, their phone dies, and they are looking for the past payphone in the country.
- Maybe they are heading to hurt someone.

I have no 17ing idea.

But you apparently do know the intent of the person(and others) you put a picture of up on a message board. And based on your question posed to me, it looks like you know that intent based only on the lid's skin color.
You claim you know his intent based on a pic, you then say you have no idea his intent, and then you hint at knowing his intent by asking me a race/skin color based question.

Like I said- this is one of those threads where the more you post the cringier it gets.
I absolutely don’t care how cringy your think it sounds. The cringier you feel the better for me.

Simple fix. The police can do their job before citizens have to.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
so again. Answer the question. White guy in a black neighborhood beats on door and black person feels threatened and shoots white guy.

do you support felony charges in that case? Yes or no?
I don’t think simply knocking on your door warrants the use of deadly force. White, Black, 3am, 3pm, hoodie, no hoodie - you name it.

Now, that all starts to change if they try to grab your gun, or enter the house, or threaten you. Let’s say it’s your daughter’s ex boyfriend and he’s saying “open up or I’ll kill all of you”. I could see that not being charged.

Reactions: mstateglfr

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
What part of the job are the police not doing?

'Hey Bob, we have a report of a doorbell being rung and no illegal activity taking place. Go check it out.'
Hey golfer. Wuit posting up on south Montgomery during the day writing speeding tickets and instead patrol the neighborhoods at night.

OR do both.

It’s really simple for someone with an average iq or above.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don’t think simply knocking on your door warrants the use of deadly force. White, Black, 3am, 3pm, hoodie, no hoodie - you name it.

Now, that all starts to change if they try to grab your gun, or enter the house, or threaten you. Let’s say it’s your daughter’s ex boyfriend and he’s saying “open up or I’ll kill all of you”. I could see that not being charged.
At no point did I say open the door and start blasting.

but the likelihood of something bad happening increases as long as this keeps happening.

So do something about it. It’s really simple.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Castle Law in effect at my house.
What about when the person you are going to shoot it outside your locked house, not acting wildly or threatening, and simply standing there after having rung the doorbell to notify you of their desire to reach you?

Is that a 'Castle Law' incident? If so, Mormons and Pest Control companies must have your house on a 'no call' list.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

but the likelihood of something bad happening increases as long as this keeps happening.

So do something about it. It’s really simple.

No it’s not new. And it could just be innocent kids. But when a home owner opens a door scared and blasts a “kid” standing there in a hoodie, it’s gonna be ugly.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I always see people complaining on Nextdoor about this and ding Dong ditching saying someone is going to get shot. If the kids are doing either of these correctly, they will be halfway down the street by the time the homeowner opens the front door, so why would anyone be shot?
Bc kids these days (at least up here) aren’t knocking and running. They’re now knocking and hiding; waiting a few minutes and returning only to terrorize people like this on multiple nights. They’ll push people to the brink bc the cops aren’t around when they’re doing it. Defend it all you want but what they’re doing isnt a harmless prank.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
In 2021, there were almost 43,000 deaths in the U.S. as a result of motor vehicle crashes according to the Dept. of Transportation. That year, the CDC estimates that there were approximately 26,000 homicides in the U.S.

Even if every single one of those homicides was the result of a break in - and obviously they weren't - a car crash is still more likely to be deadly than a break in (especially on South Montgomery give how narrow it is).

Of course, neither scenario is good. You'd have to ask SPD why they can't do both - try to make traffic on S. Montgomery safer AND have someone patrol the neighborhood at night. Beyond the obvious fact that, legally, the police aren't obligated to protect private property.

But if, for some reason, SPD has to pick one or the other, it seems like focusing on traffic is the right course of action.
I find it hard to believe people can trivialize theft of private property. Those exceeding speed limits aren't intentionally trying to harm others. Ridding neighborhoods of parasitic vermin is MUCH more important.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I know critical thought is hard for you.

A home owner could open the door and end up shooting a person without just opening the door and blasting.

A homeowner could go to bed drunk or even not and wake up in dazed state and open the door while someone is knocking. Get alarmed and have a gun or weapon next to the door.

A homeowner could wake up and think paindonthurt or another friend was at his door. You know maybe an actual friend who left the country club or got a ride so they didn’t have to drive home drunk.

There are lots of normal scenarios where a homeowner might open the door and be startled and something bad happens.

Like I said from the beginning of this thread. The fault will like first with the moron at the door. Second with the police or people in charge of the police who won’t fix the issue.

The law will certainly be on the homeowners side, but we know you lunatics will defend it he assailant/trespasser no matter what.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I have no argument with your first sentence. You absolutely have that right.

But why would you open the door? If it’s punks trying to figure out if someone is home, you should be able turn on some lights/make enough noise for them to get the message. If it’s kids doing ding dong ditch, they’re long gone (if they’re doing it right). There’s literally no reason to actually open the door.

Also, I hope you know this but it’s generally not illegal for someone to knock on a door or ring a doorbell, even at 3:30 in the morning. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone but it’s not illegal.

Nor is it illegal to wear a hoodie, even at 3:30 in the morning.

It’s also not illegal to knock on a door/ring a doorbell while wearing a hoodie, even at 3:30 in the morning.

But your best course of option is to just not open your door in the middle of the night.
It may not be illegal, but that is squarely within the FA/FO realm.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I know critical thought is hard for you.

A home owner could open the door and end up shooting a person without just opening the door and blasting.

A homeowner could go to bed drunk or even not and wake up in dazed state and open the door while someone is knocking. Get alarmed and have a gun or weapon next to the door.

A homeowner could wake up and think paindonthurt or another friend was at his door. You know maybe an actual friend who left the country club or got a ride so they didn’t have to drive home drunk.

There are lots of normal scenarios where a homeowner might open the door and be startled and something bad happens.

Like I said from the beginning of this thread. The fault will like first with the moron at the door. Second with the police or people in charge of the police who won’t fix the issue.

The law will certainly be on the homeowners side, but we know you lunatics will defend it he assailant/trespasser no matter what.

it could just be innocent kids. But when a home owner opens a door scared and blasts a “kid” standing there...

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yeah again I know critical thought and reasoning isn’t your strong point.

I won’t waste my breath explaining it again.

I’ll add this though.
First person at fault will be the moron, then the cops, then people like you who normalize this type of stuff.

“Oh the poor innocent victim”
I know a guy that was killed by his father in law because he jumped from behind the bushes yelled “Surprise”. He flew in to surprise him for his 60th birthday. No charges were pressed.

Sep 29, 2022
It’s also not illegal to defend yourself if you feel threatened.

FYI, Mississippi's castle doctrine is slightly more nuanced than "you can shoot somebody if you feel threatened." In the 2:30 a.m. doorstep hypothetical, the homeowner must have a reasonable belief that the guy was attempting to kill the homeowner, or in the process of committing a felony, or attempting to forcibly enter the home. A guy knocking on your door meets none of these criteria. Now, whether the DA would bring charges is up for debate and probably depends on the jurisdiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login