Spurrier Jr. at Tulsa

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Do you see all the tight ends and running plays? I'm sure if he were here he would have been branded a traitor by now.
I doubt he would be called a traitor, we would probably just have a functional offense.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I doubt he would be called a traitor, we would probably just have a functional offense.
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Do you see all the tight ends and running plays? I'm sure if he were here he would have been branded a traitor by now.
Doesn’t matter, it’s still automatically the #AirRaid as long as its coached by anyone who was ever an assistant under Leach, was the boss of a former Leach assistant or player, or anyone who ever sat at the same table with Leach at a coaches’ convention.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
WKU gained more yards against Ohio State than we did against LSU, after Saturday we will likely be ranked below them in totally offense. but carry on.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
WKU gained more yards against Ohio State than we did against LSU, after Saturday we will likely be ranked below them in totally offense. but carry on.
Not sure what point you are even trying to make here. We have bottom 3 offensive talent in the league we play in. Pretty sure that’s not true of Tulsa or WKU, yet they still suck. I don’t even think Spurrier or Hollingshead are necessarily bad coaches, but neither had ever been an OC prior to this season. Did you seriously want a HC who’d never been a HC, a DC who’d never been a DC, AND an OC who had never been an OC all at the same time?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
And Tulsa has the 93rd ranked offense.

I will never understand the obsessive loyalty to Leach’s assistants. Truly boggles the mind.
The human mind blocks out the bad in your past. Yea, science Mr White.

The absolute fact is that the biggest weakness of the team while Leach was here was the offense. Yea, we had some placekicking struggles but we consistently lost games because our offense was nonexistent in games. We even won some games where our offense was nonexistent.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's 17ing Temple. We could put a SPS all star team together & be competitive with Temple. That may be a slight exaggeration, but it’s 17ing Temple. Vandy would beat Temple by 4 touchdowns.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
If that's the best you've got - then yes, I will in fact carry on.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Not sure what point you are even trying to make here. We have bottom 3 offensive talent in the league we play in. Pretty sure that’s not true of Tulsa or WKU, yet they still suck. I don’t even think Spurrier or Hollingshead are necessarily bad coaches, but neither had ever been an OC prior to this season. Did you seriously want a HC who’d never been a HC, a DC who’d never been a DC, AND an OC who had never been an OC all at the same time?
I mean let's not act like Barbay is a seasoned vet. The guy has been an OC 2 years prior to here. One of those with a head coach who for most of his HC career called his own plays (imagine he had a handicap calling plays there) and the second where he changed the offense to fit the HC again at App State (who also is the former, get this, OC at App State).

Reactions: blitz2Win

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
My take is the next head coach we hire needs to be a head coach in a mid major or division II like Kansas did with Leipold. Hire the best one we can get. No more first time head coaches. We live in too tough a neighborhood to let someone "cut their teeth" at this job. I think Mullen was the only one that somewhat worked out here.

Reactions: CDawg08

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
My take is the next head coach we hire needs to be a head coach in a mid major or division II like Kansas did with Leipold. Hire the best one we can get. No more first time head coaches. We live in too tough a neighborhood to let someone "cut their teeth" at this job. I think Mullen was the only one that somewhat worked out here.
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner! I’d take Mullen back in a heartbeat. Doubt he’d come back because of his wife.🤦‍♂️😖

Col. Forbin

Oct 2, 2012
This may be one of the dumbest 17n rebuttals I’ve ever seen

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You realize we are scoring more points per game than Tulsa?

and have thrown for more yards?
And we have played 2 sec opponents and another p5 opponent?

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
Never thought I'd see the day that we compared ourselves to a Tulsa vs WKU game. Is that rock bottom?

Reactions: FormerBully

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Barbay was way heavy pass Saturday night. We broke school record in receiving yards by a single player.
I've basically come to the conclusion no matter which offense we run one group of fans won't be happy. I just want to see points and balance and do whatever offense we need to win.
I don’t even care if we have balance as long as we points and yards

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I mean let's not act like Barbay is a seasoned vet. The guy has been an OC 2 years prior to here. One of those with a head coach who for most of his HC career called his own plays (imagine he had a handicap calling plays there) and the second where he changed the offense to fit the HC again at App State (who also is the former, get this, OC at App State).
I'm glad somebody on this board at least has some knowledge of his experience. Most posters are like oh oh...he was the OC at App State and you know they have been good for the last several years. He was there one freaking year. Oh oh...if you know so much about his offense you must be an App State fan. He was there one freaking year.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Why the hell is he not in Starkville????
I posted this same response last week I believe. He's 52 yrs old, his dad is a coaching legend. If anyone thought he had what it takes to be a HC, he would be one. He was a position coach here for heavens sake, not even a coordinator. Take away his name and what has he done?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports does that have to do w/ anything?

Reactions: 8dog

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
You realize we are scoring more points per game than Tulsa?

and have thrown for more yards?
And we have played 2 sec opponents and another p5 opponent?
Let's just make sure we are factual here.

Mississippi State Talent Level: 29th
Opponents: SELA - 167th | Arizona - 43rd | LSU - 6th | USC - 22nd

We're 2-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 1 close win over a a team 14 spots lower in talent than us, 1 blow out loss a team better than us, 1 loss to a team that is virtually the same.

Tulsa Talent Level: 83rd
Opponents: APB - 211th | Washington - 26th | Oklahoma - 9th | NIU - 120th | Temple - 81st

They are 3-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 2 blowout losses to teams that are much more talented. 1 close win over a team they are 37 spots ahead of. 1 win vs a team that is virtually the same.

Talent level wise they are playing comparable teams and doing better against the comparable teams. We lost to South Carolina. They beat Temple.

It's honestly hilarious the hoops some people are going to defend Arnett. I'm sure it's the same people who thought Moorhead just needed more time or Croom needed more time. The longer we let this charade go on, the bigger whole the next guy has to pull the team out of.

Just like Moorhead, Arnett was given a ready-made team and he is going to destroy it quickly. Arnett has lost to the only team with virtually the same talent he's played so far this year and barely beat a team he's got plenty more talent than. We a have a virtual negative coaching performance right now.

Our schedule the rest of the year (with talent level and Arnett performance expectations to this point) is this

Alabama - 1st | Loss
Western Michigan - 112th | Win
Arky - 32nd | Toss up but probable loss
Auburn - 18th | Virtual toss up, but probable loss
Kentucky - 31st | Toss up, but probable loss
Texas AtM - 4th | Loss
USM - 106th | Win
Ole Miss - 23rd | Toss up, probable loss

Again he barely beat Arizona who we had a clear talent advantage over. Until proven otherwise, he shouldn't be expected to beat anyone with virtually the same level of talent, especially when they are either at home, have a better coach, or have a better QB.

@Arky
- Comparable talent level
- at their place
- Pittman > Arnett
- KJ > Will

@Auburn
Comparable talent level
- at their place
- Freeze > Arnett
Will is better

vs Kentucky
- + for us being at home
- Stoops > Arnett
- Leary > Will

vs Ole Miss
- + for us being at home
- Kiffin > Arnett
- Dart > Will

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Every village has its idiot, but this place is full of them.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Let's just make sure we are factual here.

Mississippi State Talent Level: 29th
Opponents: SELA - 167th | Arizona - 43rd | LSU - 6th | USC - 22nd

We're 2-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 1 close win over a a team 14 spots lower in talent than us, 1 blow out loss a team better than us, 1 loss to a team that is virtually the same.

Tulsa Talent Level: 83rd
Opponents: APB - 211th | Washington - 26th | Oklahoma - 9th | NIU - 120th | Temple - 81st

They are 3-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 2 blowout losses to teams that are much more talented. 1 close win over a team they are 37 spots ahead of. 1 win vs a team that is virtually the same.

Talent level wise they are playing comparable teams and doing better against the comparable teams. We lost to South Carolina. They beat Temple.

It's honestly hilarious the hoops some people are going to defend Arnett. I'm sure it's the same people who thought Moorhead just needed more time or Croom needed more time. The longer we let this charade go on, the bigger whole the next guy has to pull the team out of.

Just like Moorhead, Arnett was given a ready-made team and he is going to destroy it quickly. Arnett has lost to the only team with virtually the same talent he's played so far this year and barely beat a team he's got plenty more talent than. We a have a virtual negative coaching performance right now.

Our schedule the rest of the year (with talent level and Arnett performance expectations to this point) is this

Alabama - 1st | Loss
Western Michigan - 112th | Win
Arky - 32nd | Toss up but probable loss
Auburn - 18th | Virtual toss up, but probable loss
Kentucky - 31st | Toss up, but probable loss
Texas AtM - 4th | Loss
USM - 106th | Win
Ole Miss - 23rd | Toss up, probable loss

Again he barely beat Arizona who we had a clear talent advantage over. Until proven otherwise, he shouldn't be expected to beat anyone with virtually the same level of talent, especially when they are either at home, have a better coach, or have a better QB.

@Arky
- at their place
- Pittman > Arnett
- KJ > Will

@Auburn
Comparable talent level
- at their place
- Freeze > Arnett
Will is better

vs Kentucky