Spurrier Jr. at Tulsa

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm glad somebody on this board at least has some knowledge of his experience. Most posters are like oh oh...he was the OC at App State and you know they have been good for the last several years. He was there one freaking year. Oh oh...if you know so much about his offense you must be an App State fan. He was there one freaking year.

Yeah, but you're forgetting that he was the backup QB at Grambling.

• Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Let's just make sure we are factual here.

Mississippi State Talent Level: 29th
Opponents: SELA - 167th | Arizona - 43rd | LSU - 6th | USC - 22nd

We're 2-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 1 close win over a a team 14 spots lower in talent than us, 1 blow out loss a team better than us, 1 loss to a team that is virtually the same.

Tulsa Talent Level: 83rd
Opponents: APB - 211th | Washington - 26th | Oklahoma - 9th | NIU - 120th | Temple - 81st

They are 3-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 2 blowout losses to teams that are much more talented. 1 close win over a team they are 37 spots ahead of. 1 win vs a team that is virtually the same.

Talent level wise they are playing comparable teams and doing better against the comparable teams. We lost to South Carolina. They beat Temple.

It's honestly hilarious the hoops some people are going to defend Arnett. I'm sure it's the same people who thought Moorhead just needed more time or Croom needed more time. The longer we let this charade go on, the bigger whole the next guy has to pull the team out of.

Just like Moorhead, Arnett was given a ready-made team and he is going to destroy it quickly. Arnett has lost to the only team with virtually the same talent he's played so far this year and barely beat a team he's got plenty more talent than. We a have a virtual negative coaching performance right now.

Our schedule the rest of the year (with talent level and Arnett performance expectations to this point) is this

Alabama - 1st | Loss
Western Michigan - 112th | Win
Arky - 32nd | Toss up but probable loss
Auburn - 18th | Virtual toss up, but probable loss
Kentucky - 31st | Toss up, but probable loss
Texas AtM - 4th | Loss
USM - 106th | Win
Ole Miss - 23rd | Toss up, probable loss

Again he barely beat Arizona who we had a clear talent advantage over. Until proven otherwise, he shouldn't be expected to beat anyone with virtually the same level of talent, especially when they are either at home, have a better coach, or have a better QB.

@Arky
- Comparable talent level
- at their place
- Pittman > Arnett
- KJ > Will

@Auburn
Comparable talent level
- at their place
- Freeze > Arnett
Will is better

vs Kentucky
- + for us being at home
- Stoops > Arnett
- Leary > Will

vs Ole Miss
- + for us being at home
- Kiffin > Arnett
- Dart > Will

I'd be willing to bet real money that Arizona started more players who will play in NFL games than we did.

Not that we don't have more depth of talent, but I think their top talent was better. Especially at WR (Tulu excepted), which is depressing.

We shall see.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

We're 2-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 1 close win over a a team 14 spots lower in talent than us, 1 blow out loss a team better than us, 1 loss to a team that is virtually the same.

Opponents: APB - 211th | Washington - 26th | Oklahoma - 9th | NIU - 120th | Temple - 81st

They are 3-2. 1 win vs FCS school, 2 blowout losses to teams that are much more talented. 1 close win over a team they are 37 spots ahead of. 1 win vs a team that is virtually the same.

Talent level wise they are playing comparable teams and doing better against the comparable teams. We lost to South Carolina. They beat Temple.

It's honestly hilarious the hoops some people are going to defend Arnett. I'm sure it's the same people who thought Moorhead just needed more time or Croom needed more time. The longer we let this charade go on, the bigger whole the next guy has to pull the team out of.

Just like Moorhead, Arnett was given a ready-made team and he is going to destroy it quickly. Arnett has lost to the only team with virtually the same talent he's played so far this year and barely beat a team he's got plenty more talent than. We a have a virtual negative coaching performance right now.

Our schedule the rest of the year (with talent level and Arnett performance expectations to this point) is this

Alabama - 1st | Loss
Texas AtM - 4th | Loss
USM - 106th | Win

Again he barely beat Arizona who we had a clear talent advantage over. Until proven otherwise, he shouldn't be expected to beat anyone with virtually the same level of talent, especially when they are either at home, have a better coach, or have a better QB.

@Arky
- at their place
- Pittman > Arnett
- KJ > Will

@Auburn
Comparable talent level
- at their place
- Freeze > Arnett
Will is better

vs Kentucky
- + for us being at home
- Stoops > Arnett
- Leary > Will

vs Ole Miss
- + for us being at home
- Kiffin > Arnett
- Dart > Will
Let me know when spurrier starts getting them below 50th in talent.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm glad somebody on this board at least has some knowledge of his experience. Most posters are like oh oh...he was the OC at App State and you know they have been good for the last several years. He was there one freaking year. Oh oh...if you know so much about his offense you must be an App State fan. He was there one freaking year.
He has been an OC for 2 years. That is a combined 2 years more experience than Zach Arnett, Matt Brock, Steve Spurrier Jr., and Drew Hollinghead all have in their current roles. End of story.

Last edited:

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
He has been an OC for 2 years. That a combined 2 years more experience than Zach Arnett, Matt Brock, Steve Spurrier Jr., and Drew Hollinghead all have in their current roles. End of story.
Because 2 years of training wheels is just so much more experience. I'm not even advocating for Spurrier. I just know what we have now sucks

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We hired a dud but I wouldn't want Spurrier here either. Bottom line is Arnett couldn't get anyone proven to come work for him. Once Briles said no, it was over. Arnett panicked just like Keenum.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He has been an OC for 2 years. That a combined 2 years more experience than Zach Arnett, Matt Brock, Steve Spurrier Jr., and Drew Hollinghead all have in their current roles. End of story.
I was thinking it was 2 years at Central Michigan and one year st App State. Is that not correct ?? And all I really care about is production. I don't care how long he has been doing it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Alabama - 1st | Loss
Texas AtM - 4th | Loss
USM - 106th | Win

@Arky
- at their place
- Pittman > Arnett
- KJ > Will

@Auburn
Comparable talent level
- at their place
- Freeze > Arnett
Will is better

vs Kentucky
- + for us being at home
- Stoops > Arnett
- Leary > Will

vs Ole Miss
- + for us being at home
- Kiffin > Arnett
- Dart > Will
First off, I don’t think anyone’s jumping through hoops to defend Arnett. Jury is still very much out. But people are defending Barbay because he has not been the issue with our offense. There is a perception that our offense has been worse than it has been, when we really only had one bad game against a much more talented team. The “we should have kept the Air Raid” is about as odd a hill to die on as I’ve ever seen, and I’m someone who was a huge Leach / Air Raid supporter while he was here. You don’t hire a coach, tell him he has to hire an OC who only knows a system that we ran last year (which no one left on the planet really knows like Leach did), and say that basically has to keep being the system indefinitely even though the guy we hired to run it died, and even though the DC who has an expert level knowledge in what offenses are most difficult to prepare for may not agree that the pure Leach Air Raid is the best system long term. That’s insanity.

And comparing this “ready made” team to JoeMo’s is a 17ing joke. The 2018 team had 3 first round NFL draft picks, two 2nd round NFL picks, and two 3rd round picks. Had the #1 Defense in the country, two NFL Offensive linemen, and an elite rusher at QB along with another late round NFL pick at RB. This year’s team very seriously might not have a single NFL pick on it in next April’s draft. Tulu might be the only shot. The talent level of this squad is not even Top 10 in the SEC. We were “ready made” to win 6-7 games against a schedule with so many swing games on the road and half our SEC home games being automatic losses. That’s also a very different set up than we had in 2018.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
First off, I don’t think anyone’s jumping through hoops to defend Arnett. Jury is still very much out. But people are defending Barbay because he has not been the issue with our offense. There is a perception that our offense has been worse than it has been, when we really only had one bad game against a much more talented team. The “we should have kept the Air Raid” is about as odd a hill to die on as I’ve ever seen, and I’m someone who was a huge Leach / Air Raid supporter while he was here. You don’t hire a coach, tell him he has to hire an OC who only knows a system that we ran last year (which no one left on the planet really knows like Leach did), and say that basically has to keep being the system indefinitely even though the guy we hired to run it died, and even though the DC who has an expert level knowledge in what offenses are most difficult to prepare for may not agree that the pure Leach Air Raid is the best system long term. That’s insanity.

And comparing this “ready made” team to JoeMo’s is a 17ing joke. The 2018 team had 3 first round NFL draft picks, two 2nd round NFL picks, and two 3rd round picks. Had the #1 Defense in the country, two NFL Offensive linemen, and an elite rusher at QB along with another late round NFL pick at RB. This year’s team very seriously might not have a single NFL pick on it in next April’s draft. Tulu might be the only shot. The talent level of this squad is not even Top 10 in the SEC. We were “ready made” to win 6-7 games against a schedule with so many swing games on the road and half our SEC home games being automatic losses. That’s also a very different set up than we had in 2018.

This ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Because 2 years of training wheels is just so much more experience. I'm not even advocating for Spurrier. I just know what we have now sucks
If you think it sucks, then I encourage you to look at current numbers vs. historical MSU performance on offense. Its right in line with where we always are in the national rankings, and that’s with only data from the more difficult half of our schedule. Defense is another matter, it truly does suck.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If you think it sucks, then I encourage you to look at current numbers vs. historical MSU performance on offense. Its right in line with where we always are in the national rankings, and that’s with only data from the more difficult half of our schedule. Defense is another matter, it truly does suck.
Defense is a massive problem. I think the offense is going to get killed this week, but after this week, it can compete better. That defense won't. It's damn awful and is a bit of an indictment on our HC.

jbroadway

Sep 27, 2023
Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF
Air Raid cult is alive and well here also i see

Reactions: Drebin

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Defense is a massive problem. I think the offense is going to get killed this week, but after this week, it can compete better. That defense won't. It's damn awful and is a bit of an indictment on our HC.
I can somewhat see it as an indictment on Arnett, but our problems on defense are 100% talent based, and we’re also in a new era where we can no longer compete for more than 1-2 top prospects per year on defense.

So unfortunately, our hit rate on those lower tier players….those rated like 15-25 in MS or 35-50 in AL for instance….has to be much higher for us to have any chance whatsoever. And the portal is important. Not sure its an indictment if Arnett only hits our historical success rate there instead of exceeding it, but by no means can we drop below it.

So have we dropped below it? Not sure we know yet. Arnett only really has 2 classes of defensive players we can realistically be expected to lean on this year - 2021 and 2022. 2020 class was all Moorhead. Both the 2021 and 2022 classes were also especially lean in terms of defensive talent in MS, and its not like Arnett was just saying “no thanks” to guys like Jaheim Otis. The high end guys we got those years all unfortunately appear to be busts. We’ll hopefully know more with this upcoming 2024 class as to what we can expect with Arnett having a full recruiting cycle as a HC. One would hope having a defensive oriented head coach might tip the scales in our favor on some defensive prospects, but the reality we all know is that almost nothing that coaches do or say in recruiting really matters anymore….at least not for the caliber of players we need to get better.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Why the hell is he not in Starkville????
I’m sorry but this is absurd hindsight.
Hollingshead - He was a coach for half a unit on offense with 4 years as a full time position coach in an offense he didn’t call. He may be the next great but OC at an SEC coach was a stretch at this point.

Spurrier has been an assistant for 20 years with name recognition and nobody has taken that chance? There has to be a reason right?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Hollingshead - He was a coach for half a unit on offense with 4 years as a full time position coach in an offense he didn’t call. He may be the next great but OC at an SEC coach was a stretch at this point.

Spurrier has been an assistant for 20 years with name recognition and nobody has taken that chance? There has to be a reason right?
The Office Thank You GIF

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

The biggest indictment against Hollingshead is that he’s actually trying to run the OG Leach Air Raid, but he’s been doing a really poor job of it thus far. He’s been throwing it at a 66-67% clip and that includes all the extended-run checkdowns and what not. He took over a WKU roster that was set up by Arbuckle already to run the AR, just like he theoretically would have here. So how has it gone? Last year, WKU was 8th nationally under Arbuckle in yards per play - 6.7. This year, so far they are 68th - 5.3. Full 1.4 yard less per play with the same offense. They are throwing it 52 times a game and still not even averaging 300 passing yards per game, against teams like MTSU. Pretty pathetic - I don’t see how anyone can look at that and call him “the next great one”.

Spurrier has been such a huge departure from the Air Raid that there is simply no telling what that would have looked like. But it damn sure wouldn’t have been any closer to it than what Barbay is doing, and his early returns have been terrible.

For comparison, last year MSU was 76th at 5.3 yards per play. This year so far? 52nd at 5.5 yards per play. Perhaps this point deserves more emphasis - The 2023 MSU Offense is currently better than the 2022 Offense was. Period.

Reactions: paindonthurt

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I can somewhat see it as an indictment on Arnett, but our problems on defense are 100% talent based, and we’re also in a new era where we can no longer compete for more than 1-2 top prospects per year on defense.

So unfortunately, our hit rate on those lower tier players….those rated like 15-25 in MS or 35-50 in AL for instance….has to be much higher for us to have any chance whatsoever. And the portal is important. Not sure its an indictment if Arnett only hits our historical success rate there instead of exceeding it, but by no means can we drop below it.

So have we dropped below it? Not sure we know yet. Arnett only really has 2 classes of defensive players we can realistically be expected to lean on this year - 2021 and 2022. 2020 class was all Moorhead. Both the 2021 and 2022 classes were also especially lean in terms of defensive talent in MS, and its not like Arnett was just saying “no thanks” to guys like Jaheim Otis. The high end guys we got those years all unfortunately appear to be busts. We’ll hopefully know more with this upcoming 2024 class as to what we can expect with Arnett having a full recruiting cycle as a HC. One would hope having a defensive oriented head coach might tip the scales in our favor on some defensive prospects, but the reality we all know is that almost nothing that coaches do or say in recruiting really matters anymore….at least not for the caliber of players we need to get better.
Nothing has changed about who we compete for. It's the same pecking order it's always been. And the portal has allowed for more depth but we don't sign it. But we've not filled our roster with SEC talent. We haven't developed the higher rated talent either. We're sticking these older guys out there to get killed.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Nothing has changed about who we compete for. It's the same pecking order it's always been. And the portal has allowed for more depth but we don't sign it. But we've not filled our roster with SEC talent. We haven't developed the higher rated talent either. We're sticking these older guys out there to get killed.
And that’s the thing. If you look at the position groups the DL and DB’s are higher rated recruits with mostly composite 4 Stars including the ones that don’t see the field as transfers. Our LB crew has the least “stars” yet is our best unit. So either it’s bad evaluation, bad development, or bad coaching. I mean Randy Charlton was our best DL last year and he was only here for 2 years. It isn’t lost on me that the position we excel at is our HC and DC’s background.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Talking way too much sense to some of these morons.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Talent is the issue but the 1 or 2 top prospects is no different today than it was 30 years ago.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Nothing has changed about who we compete for. It's the same pecking order it's always been.
Man, you know that’s BS. From 2009-2020, we signed Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Josh Boyd, Jeffrey Simmons, Leo Lewis (bust, but wanted by everyone), Willie Gay, Emmanuel Forbes, Gerri Green, Charles Cross, Gabe Jackson, Tulu, and numerous other studs from MS. We’ve been completely shut out of that game from 2021 till now, with that being the NIL and transfer portal launch pad which removed every small advantage we ever had on any in-state kids. It used to be we could go get a Jaheim Otis quite easily, or at least be in it until the end. But no longer….we’re out of it from the very beginning with those dudes now.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I posted this same response last week I believe. He's 52 yrs old, his dad is a coaching legend. If anyone thought he had what it takes to be a HC, he would be one. He was a position coach here for heavens sake, not even a coordinator. Take away his name and what has he done?

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports does that have to do w/ anything?
And he didn't even coach the inside recievers! Hey, but I'm sure he was capable of coaching the whole team.

Steve Spurrier Jr. is in his third season with the Bulldogs in 2022. He was hired as outside receivers coach at MSU

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I'd be willing to bet real money that Arizona started more players who will play in NFL games than we did.

Not that we don't have more depth of talent, but I think their top talent was better. Especially at WR (Tulu excepted), which is depressing.

We shall see.
Well they did bring in 11 four stars from the portal.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
One thing different Saturday vs the other three games. The OC was in the press box not on the sideline. Offense looked the best it has all season.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
And that’s the thing. If you look at the position groups the DL and DB’s are higher rated recruits with mostly composite 4 Stars including the ones that don’t see the field as transfers. Our LB crew has the least “stars” yet is our best unit. So either it’s bad evaluation, bad development, or bad coaching. I mean Randy Charlton was our best DL last year and he was only here for 2 years. It isn’t lost on me that the position we excel at is our HC and DC’s background.

The transfers we've been getting are mostly guys who weren't getting playing time at better programs.

Compare that to what Purcell went and got for the Ladies BB this coming season. Three top notch transfers who were the best players on their respective teams.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Is this how it has been for the past 30 years?

View attachment 414323
Two of those ain't worth the time. OM gets recruiting bumps and State gets recruiting bump downs. They almost always are higher rated than us. But our class outside of a handful is down this year. We're offering marginal talent left and right too.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
All I can add is it's gonna be a sketchy 2 or 3 years before we get on the upswing again. I never thought Arnett had any great defenses here but next year is gonna be a real doozie. It will be much worse.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Usage is appropriate relative to low IQ takes. But thanks for your low IQ input.

You know why you like to use low IQ as a phrase. It's more offensive.

High IQ people have takes that are incorrect or not well thought out. And sometimes they just have takes that you maybe disagree with.

Calling those low IQ isn't accurate, or even funny. And you'll probably keep doing it and I'll keep probably keep telling you what I think about it. That's called stubborn btw.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You know why you like to use low IQ as a phrase. It's more offensive.

High IQ people have takes that are incorrect or not well thought out. And sometimes they just have takes that you maybe disagree with.

Calling those low IQ isn't accurate, or even funny. And you'll probably keep doing it and I'll keep probably keep telling you what I think about it. That's called stubborn btw.
My low IQ reply

unimpressed jerk off motion GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login