Stadium Infrastructure

Taycro

Jul 21, 2022
I'm a semi-recent PSU grad, so I'm now sitting in the "normal" seats with the rest of you all for the first time since my pre-college years. I preface with that because I apologize if these are commonly discussed complaints, but wow there are some major logistical/safety issues at Beaver Stadium right now. I hope that a decent chunk of the ~$750 million is going towards rectifying these, because the fan experience is piss poor in some areas of the stadium currently.

- At halftime, the concourse between EGU and EHU was completely overfilled and in my opinion, was starting to get worryingly close to mass crush territory. The Chickies and Petes is right next to the mens bathroom, so what you end up with is like 5 different flows of crowd traffic trying to get to different places (bathroom line, Chickies and Petes line, EGU, EHU, and other misc places).

- The concourse was body pressed up against body levels of crowded. People started to get extremely impatient and angry. I started to grow weary and couldn't help but think of the various European soccer incidents and the Astroworld Festival incident.

- To even get from our seats up in the 70s rows of EGU to the start of the concourse it took about 10 minutes. To get from concourse to the mens room right around the corner it took around 20-25 minutes. I got back to my seat with around 12:40 remaining in the third quarter. Of course I felt like a total dick as I had to "excuse me" my entire way through the row as a drive was underway.

- However, the time it took wasn't even my main concern. I get it, theres 109,000 people, the lines are gonna take a while (although my girlfriend was in and out of the womens room to the left in minutes). My main problem was the extreme safety issue in the bottleneck area between EGU and EHU where the Chickies and Petes and mens bathroom are. The concourse is way too narrow and it was nearing crush event territory. The EMS personnel had a tough time of moving their stretcher/supplies through as there was just no room to move. People started getting angsty and agitated, adding to the situation.

- I admittedly haven't read through the entire plans for the renovations, but I hope that some of these funds are going towards:
  • Widening the concourse
  • Adding additional bathrooms throughout the stadium
  • Hiring a logistics consulting firm to better manage the flow of crowd traffic in the concourses. There is no reason there should be a popular restaurant right outside a tunnel and right next to a bathroom. It creates too much of a bottleneck.

I've been to many a sporting event throughout my life including being in the student section when it was overfilled for the 2021 Auburn whiteout I believe. This was by far the worst fan experience I've ever experienced at a sporting event. I understand that 109,000 people in one area is an extreme clusterf--k to manage, but safety of the fans needs to be priority.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
PSU laughs at fan safety and just wants your money!!! - I agree, the stadium is out dated for the amount of people in there each football game especially with how people treat other these days. Add to that those that have been drinking all day and alcohol sales in the stadium it makes things much worse. Also, I think there are plenty of bathrooms in the stadium and people just choose to stand in line for the smaller or handicap bathrooms. I see it all the time when there is a much larger bathroom right around the corner in the outer ring of the ground level. Haven't been in the upper concourse in years so can't speak to that. They repainted the numbers on the bench seats somewhere in the 2000 oughts to get more butts in seats but they should have realized butts have gotten much bigger and some rows can't fit all the people. I have seen arguments amongst those at the end of the rows. Explains why so many get the seat backs installed so they make sure they can fit and aren't shoe horned in. Way back in the 90s we had season tickets and if we didn't get there before the one family(who were on the larger side) we would not be able to fit in the row. PSU has always made it about the almighty dollar and seems to be squeezing every penny out of football games. Also, crowd control at football games is next to impossible unless you have armed police because people don't listen. Sometimes they don't even listed to the police. Sad times we live in...

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I'd think safety feature #1 would be railings on the stairs inside the bowl. It's intimidating for some folks with nothing to hold on to. I haven't experienced anything close to crowd crush issues, but definitely have seen crowd flow problems. I only attend one game every couple years and last year vs Iowa the crowd going into the seats from the concourse was packed from a flow perspective, never been in a stadium with that issue. It's what comes with a super old stadium that has outgrown all of the entry/exit and crowd flow points. I just hope there's never a situation requiring an emergency evacuation because Beaver Stadium is not designed to execute one at all.

Pennst8

Oct 25, 2021
PSU laughs at fan safety and just wants your money!!! - I agree, the stadium is out dated for the amount of people in there each football game especially with how people treat other these days. Add to that those that have been drinking all day and alcohol sales in the stadium it makes things much worse. Also, I think there are plenty of bathrooms in the stadium and people just choose to stand in line for the smaller or handicap bathrooms. I see it all the time when there is a much larger bathroom right around the corner in the outer ring of the ground level. Haven't been in the upper concourse in years so can't speak to that. They repainted the numbers on the bench seats somewhere in the 2000 oughts to get more butts in seats but they should have realized butts have gotten much bigger and some rows can't fit all the people. I have seen arguments amongst those at the end of the rows. Explains why so many get the seat backs installed so they make sure they can fit and aren't shoe horned in. Way back in the 90s we had season tickets and if we didn't get there before the one family(who were on the larger side) we would not be able to fit in the row. PSU has always made it about the almighty dollar and seems to be squeezing every penny out of football games. Also, crowd control at football games is next to impossible unless you have armed police because people don't listen. Sometimes they don't even listed to the police. Sad times we live in...
"PSU laughs at fan safety and just wants your money!!!" - Such an idiotic statement.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I’ve experienced the crowd issues the OP speaks of also. Trying to navigate the concourse is dangerous/impossible. The line for concessions and the bathroom gets tangled at some points and you can’t decipher which line anyone seems to be in. Now, add in also alcohol to the mix and there’s a lot of impatient people with short fuses. I try very hard to not leave my seat during high traffic times. It’s not worth the hassle. Hopefully, the renovation will make the fan experience more convenient.

Reactions: Taycro

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Crowd flow / entry / egress at the stadium are far worse now than they were 15 years ago - the same with flow into/out of parking areas.

Why is that? The last expansion of capacity was in 2001.

Reactions: TheBigUglies

JWB389

Oct 7, 2021
Crowd flow / entry / egress at the stadium are far worse now than they were 15 years ago - the same with flow into/out of parking areas.

In stadium, the traffic changed dramatically when they started selling beer.

Parking? Who knows, but they completely screwed that up for most people. And remember, they paid a lot of money for those changes.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021

At the beginning of the Kent State game there were whispers of an impending lightning storm that would have caused an evacuation of the stadium. Luckily the storm went in another direction or else that would have been a nightmare of epic proportions.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Very nice. The Beav is a dump compared to that.
This was during installation. All the turf is surrounded by hand rails (you can see some of them in the pics). No one ever steps foot on the turf really. They used to have large rocks in there - probably 57 stone. When they held soccer games, the different country's fans would bring the rocks into the stadium to throw at opposing players, so this was the solution.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login