State won and is undefeated

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Ultimately that’s all that matter is we got the win. But it’s justified for people to not be happy about the coaching performance last night. No one is going to confuse rogers for Tom Brady but the guy has played and won a lot of college football games, and our offensive game plan was absolutely terrible last night. I’m fine if the OC wants to turn this into a more running offense in the future but right now you got a team that is pretty good at passing, so don’t just abandon the pass game. And for 17s sake when you complete a 40 yard pass don’t immediately go back to 3 ****** looking runs to not gain any yards.

And the defense couldn’t adjust to what Arizona was doing in the second half. Hard to complain about the defense too much given the turnovers they got though.

Arnett needs to figure out if he’s going to use this season to set the tone for his preferred offense going forward or if he’s going to tell the OC to come up with a game plan this offensive group can move the ball with. You can’t have both. The offense we’ve seen the first few weeks will be less than 20 points per game against sec teams. And if you’re dead set on running an offense that uses the read option a lot, then just make the switch to the backup QB because no team is worried about the possibility of rogers holding the ball on a read option.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Get back with me after next weekend and the weekend after and the weekend after that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Ultimately that’s all that matter is we got the win. But it’s justified for people to not be happy about the coaching performance last night. No one is going to confuse rogers for Tom Brady but the guy has played and won a lot of college football games, and our offensive game plan was absolutely terrible last night. I’m fine if the OC wants to turn this into a more running offense in the future but right now you got a team that is pretty good at passing, so don’t just abandon the pass game. And for 17s sake when you complete a 40 yard pass don’t immediately go back to 3 ****** looking runs to not gain any yards.

And the defense couldn’t adjust to what Arizona was doing in the second half. Hard to complain about the defense too much given the turnovers they got though.

Arnett needs to figure out if he’s going to use this season to set the tone for his preferred offense going forward or if he’s going to tell the OC to come up with a game plan this offensive group can move the ball with. You can’t have both. The offense we’ve seen the first few weeks will be less than 20 points per game against sec teams. And if you’re dead set on running an offense that uses the read option a lot, then just make the switch to the backup QB because no team is worried about the possibility of rogers holding the ball on a read option.
Of the two choices for OC, we should have gone with Oppenheimer

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Teams can change within the season.
It happens all the time in major conferences.

Teams improve. Teams get worse.
What happens in the 2nd week is not some guaranteed foreshadow into the rest of the season.
It's a measure of perceived coaching competence. Arnett is looking more like Croom and Moorhead, than Sherrill, Mullen and Leach. And the track record of Croom and Moorhead changing or improving is not a good one.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
It's a measure of perceived coaching competence. Arnett is looking more like Croom and Moorhead, than Sherrill, Mullen and Leach. And the track record of Croom and Moorhead changing or improving is not a good one.
Arnett is young. He's 37 years old. He's got a lot to learn, but I really think he has a lot of upside. As for the first two games, State won and are going into next week undefeated against an LSU team that may be overrated.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Arnett is young. He's 37 years old. He's got a lot to learn, but I really think he has a lot of upside. As for the first two games, State won and are going into next week undefeated against an LSU team that may be overrated.
LSU has Alabama level talent and coaching. We better have an improved game plan if we hope to win.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Good observation and agreed

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
LSU has Alabama level talent and coaching. We better have an improved game plan if we hope to win.
Daniels is gonna scramble all over the place. If we don't get more dynamic on offense I'm afraid next week will be a drubbing.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
texas went into tusc and won the game

arizona went into starkville and lost the game

patdog

May 28, 2007
I hope he learned a lot last night. And I think from his post game comments he probably did. As for the LSU and Bama games, those are both going to be ugly, no matter what we do.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We ran the ball 70% of the plays. If you don't understand why then you need to go back and review pee wee coaching

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
We won, our fans are pissed, and fans of the P5 team we just beat are claiming moral victories.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
My thinking as well. Plus, our coach dropped a 17bomb on national TV - made me like him more. 7-5 was my number going into the season and zero reason there's not 5 more wins on our schedule.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It’s also kinda silly to only focus on us having a bad performance when almost the whole dang SEC has struggled through two weeks.

Reactions: AlCoDog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Croom and Moorhead sucked on their side of the ball. Arnett ms side of the ball had issues but ultimately got the job done. Barbie’s ears better still be ringing from the *** chewing he got.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Perceived coaching competence? What the 17 sort of measurable statistic is that? That's just a fancy way of claiming justification for being upset we didn't win in an easier fashion.
Get the 17 out of here with that.

You mentioned Leach as being in the good caregory - go tell me how he did in his 2nd game at MSU. Or 3rd. Or 4th. Or 5th.
We were 1 and 4 in our first 5 games under him. Heck, we were 2 and 7 in our first 9 games.
Then the team won a few.

To be clear, don't go all goat on me and claim I am saying Leach was a bad coach or anything like that.

Again, teams can and do improve thru a season. What happens in week 2(good or bad) is often not indicitice of how the team finishes a season.
This is true for experienced coaches and 1st year coaches.

Arnett may be 17ing awful, but calm down and give this time. Getting all outraged and up in arms after the 2nd week, when they just bear a p5 team, is pretty sad.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Perceived coaching competence? What the 17 sort of measurable statistic is that? That's just a fancy way of claiming justification for being upset we didn't win in an easier fashion.
Get the 17 out of here with that.

You mentioned Leach as being in the good caregory - go tell me how he did in his 2nd game at MSU. Or 3rd. Or 4th. Or 5th.
We were 1 and 4 in our first 5 games under him. Heck, we were 2 and 7 in our first 9 games.
Then the team won a few.

To be clear, don't go all goat on me and claim I am saying Leach was a bad coach or anything like that.

Again, teams can and do improve thru a season. What happens in week 2(good or bad) is often not indicitice of how the team finishes a season.
This is true for experienced coaches and 1st year coaches.

Arnett may be 17ing awful, but calm down and give this time. Getting all outraged and up in arms after the 2nd week, when they just bear a p5 team, is pretty sad.
Did you just decide you were gonna be menstrual no matter what I typed? I explained it to you adequately, fairy.

Last edited:
  • Haha

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010

State won and is undefeated​

.....and still eligible for the playoffs!

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The way I see it, this was one of our 7 ‘swing games’:
Arizona - W
A&M
Auburn
Arkansas
SC
Ole Miss
Kentucky

We have 2 likely losses:
Bama
LSU

We have 3 likely wins:
SELA - W
WMU
USM

Now, we just need to beat the teams that we’re supposed to and pick off 2 more ‘swing games’ and we’re bowl eligible. I think we probably do better than that. Everybody looked vulnerable Saturday.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Arizona - W
A&M
Auburn
Arkansas
SC
Ole Miss
Kentucky

We have 2 likely losses:
Bama
LSU

We have 3 likely wins:
SELA - W
WMU
USM

Now, we just need to beat the teams that we’re supposed to and pick off 2 more ‘swing games’ and we’re bowl eligible. I think we probably do better than that. Everybody looked vulnerable Saturday.
Unless we are about to be surprised by Arizona, this being a swing game is pretty bad. Now the sec mostly looks bad right now, so maybe it’s not as bad as it would be in a typical year, but if that’s who we really are, we’re going to sweat getting two more of the swing games I think.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Unless we are about to be surprised by Arizona, this being a swing game is pretty bad. Now the sec mostly looks bad right now, so maybe it’s not as bad as it would be in a typical year, but if that’s who we really are, we’re going to sweat getting two more of the swing games I think.
To be fair, I looked at it realistically as a swing game for a couple of reasons:
1. Brand new offensive staff and scheme.
2. Our first game against an FBS opponent with this staff.
3. Arizona, even in a down year, is a Power conference team. It's not like it's LaTech on the other side.

And look, last year, we went into the 4th quarter last year with 1 possession lead, just like we did this year. The difference is that last year, the defense locked down in the 4th quarter and made two 4th down stops.

So yeah, swing game. I think I called it a probable win earlier this year, but I was always on the fence about that. Either way, the math still stands. Win the games we're supposed to and take 2 or more from SC, Arkansas, A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, and Ole Miss. Based on what I saw on Saturday, that seems extremely doable.

Reactions: QuadrupleOption

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Because the team lost momentum in the 2nd half and let Arizona tie. We'd feel better if State had won by 40, but if you're a Bulldog fan you take the wins whenever you can.
We would feel better if our defense got pressure or didn't just leave wide open crossing routes all over the place. We would feel better if our offense looked like it was thought about and we had an actual scheme to our play calling and personnel assignments. Special teams was pretty good. That is all.

Also, for 17s sake, when you only have 2 seconds left in the game and the other team is kicking off to you right after they kicked a field goal, tell Tulu to make a return attempt even if it is 8 yards deep. Seriously. Why didn't he give it a go and see what happens?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Arizona - W
A&M
Auburn
Arkansas
SC
Ole Miss
Kentucky

We have 2 likely losses:
Bama
LSU

We have 3 likely wins:
SELA - W
WMU
USM

I know none of you will agree but LSU and Bama at home are swing games as well. I don't see them as any more losable than aTm, Auburn, Arkansas and SC on the road. Especially with what we've seen so far. Yes, LSU/Bama played good teams but they also got their asses whipped.

The problem is, we appear not be as good as we thought, for reasons discussed ad nauseum.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Many teams have games where they win close ones against teams thought to be inferior. Mullen had those type of games almost every year. Anyone remember the one-point win over Bowling Green or the overtime win over Troy? Even in 2017 when we won nine games and finished ranked in the top 20, we trailed at halftime to UMass at home and needed a late punt return TD to put it away. Hell, the year we were #1, we only led UAB by six points at halftime and won by 13. Let’s not freak out too much at a win over a Power 5 team. This is not the Arizona team of a few years ago. They are much improved and I expect them to go bowling this year.

Aug 22, 2012
But we created those turnovers. We win by 30 touchdowns if they don’t tackle us and don’t recover kickoffs.
We did and I credit them for that. However, you can't rely on them and they won't happen every game. Arizona was flat out better than us. Too many excuses are getting made.

Aug 22, 2012
Many teams have games where they win close ones against teams thought to be inferior. Mullen had those type of games almost every year. Anyone remember the one-point win over Bowling Green or the overtime win over Troy? Even in 2017 when we won nine games and finished ranked in the top 20, we trailed at halftime to UMass at home and needed a late punt return TD to put it away. Hell, the year we were #1, we only led UAB by six points at halftime and won by 13. Let’s not freak out too much at a win over a Power 5 team. This is not the Arizona team of a few years ago. They are much improved and I expect them to go bowling this year.
That was 3 games where we fell asleep in Mullen's 9 year tenure. This was Arnett's second freaking game, and we didn't just fall asleep, they were a lot better than us. That's the difference.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
To be fair, I looked at it realistically as a swing game for a couple of reasons:
1. Brand new offensive staff and scheme.
2. Our first game against an FBS opponent with this staff.
3. Arizona, even in a down year, is a Power conference team. It's not like it's LaTech on the other side.

And look, last year, we went into the 4th quarter last year with 1 possession lead, just like we did this year. The difference is that last year, the defense locked down in the 4th quarter and made two 4th down stops.

So yeah, swing game. I think I called it a probable win earlier this year, but I was always on the fence about that. Either way, the math still stands. Win the games we're supposed to and take 2 or more from SC, Arkansas, A&M, Auburn, Kentucky, and Ole Miss. Based on what I saw on Saturday, that seems extremely doable.
All three fair points and don’t disagree with any of them. bit while they’re certainly not a la tech, we are at a peak for our talent cycle and they are trying to build still. So I still wouldn’t call that a swing game even if it’s not quite a gimme. And the optimistic take is we did the same thing over and over and still managed to have woody average 5 yds a carry, so we did have a bad game and still managed to out talent them. Hopefully we will figure things out on offense because that’s the last of any arguable swing games where we have a shot at out talenting anybody.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login