Steelers sign Mike Tomlin, NFL's longest-tenured head coach, to 3-year contract extension

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Any NFL teams hoping Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin would become available to coach their franchise next offseason are sorely out of luck. The Steelers announced Monday that they've signed Tomlin to a three-year contract extension, keeping him in the Steel City through the 2027 season.

"Mike Tomlin's leadership and commitment to the Steelers have been pivotal to our success during his first 17 years as head coach," Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a statement on the team website. "Extending his contract for three more years reflects our confidence in his ability to guide the team back to winning playoff games and championships, while continuing our tradition of success."

Tomlin, 52, was hired by the Steelers in 2007 and has remained their head coach ever since. With Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots parting ways in early 2024, Tomlin is now the NFL's longest-tenured head coach. If he makes it to the end of his new contract extension, he'll have coached the Steelers for 21 years.

Using "if" is necessary when talking about NFL teams and coaches staying together, but the Steelers aren't like other teams. They've had exactly three head coaches since 1969: Hall of Famers Chuck Noll (1969-91) and Bill Cowher (1992-2006), and Tomlin (2007-current). It was big news last season when Tomlin fired offensive coordinator Matt Canada midseason, as the Steelers hadn't made an in-season coaching change since 1941 — over 80 years ago.

More:Steelers sign Mike Tomlin, NFL's longest-tenured head coach, to 3-year contract extension - Yahoo Sports

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
With a lot of hard work and little luck, maybe in a few years the Steelers can get their asses kicked in the AFCTG by an actual good team again.

Someday...

You’re just being unrealistic. The measure of success is not playoff wins, much less actual championships. The new measure of greatness is apparently now just having a “non losing season”. Just get to .500.

‘The standard is the standard’. Of course when the coach that says that admits he really doesn’t know what he means by that, then I think you know the organization is just being run now on history and empty platitudes.

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Any NFL teams hoping Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin would become available to coach their franchise next offseason are sorely out of luck. The Steelers announced Monday that they've signed Tomlin to a three-year contract extension, keeping him in the Steel City through the 2027 season.

"Mike Tomlin's leadership and commitment to the Steelers have been pivotal to our success during his first 17 years as head coach," Steelers president Art Rooney II said in a statement on the team website. "Extending his contract for three more years reflects our confidence in his ability to guide the team back to winning playoff games and championships, while continuing our tradition of success."

Tomlin, 52, was hired by the Steelers in 2007 and has remained their head coach ever since. With Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots parting ways in early 2024, Tomlin is now the NFL's longest-tenured head coach. If he makes it to the end of his new contract extension, he'll have coached the Steelers for 21 years.

Using "if" is necessary when talking about NFL teams and coaches staying together, but the Steelers aren't like other teams. They've had exactly three head coaches since 1969: Hall of Famers Chuck Noll (1969-91) and Bill Cowher (1992-2006), and Tomlin (2007-current). It was big news last season when Tomlin fired offensive coordinator Matt Canada midseason, as the Steelers hadn't made an in-season coaching change since 1941 — over 80 years ago.

More:Steelers sign Mike Tomlin, NFL's longest-tenured head coach, to 3-year contract extension - Yahoo Sports
Let the complaining begin

• Haha
Reactions: Nitt1300

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
The so-called 'Roony Rule' simply provides a group of people who were grossly underrepresented with an opportunity to be heard and considered. Hardly a failure.

Take this sort of thing to the test board.

Success can't be forced, it must be earned.

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
Right, but it's not about success - it's about opportunity. The rule just gives an opportunity; doesn't force anyone to hire anyone.

And it flopped with Tomlin.

Its intent is plain. Hire without respect to competence.

Last edited:

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
The so-called 'Roony Rule' simply provides a group of people who were grossly underrepresented with an opportunity to be heard and considered. Hardly a failure.

Take this sort of thing to the test board.
This dickhead already has… his handle over there is JoeAubie21… my golfing bud calls him Blowjaubie! It fits!!

Reactions: ODShowtime

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
Tomlin... LOL!

No playoff wins 8 years; 3 playoff wins in 13 years; 11 out of 13 years no playoff wins. Did all this with 1st round picks and HOF players.

Fired OC mid season last year. 2 receivers refused to block on run plays. One refused to run routes. Started 2 terrible QBs.

3rd string QB leads them to playoffs, players praise him, saves Tomlin's job. Idiot Tomlin names Pickett as starter next year.

Rooneys reward incompetence with 3 year extension. Yes, no Rooney Rule is at play.

LMAO!!!!

cac@PSU

Oct 15, 2021
Tomlin was gifted with a star QB when first hired, bt he has not demonstrated he can develop a QB, The good old boys will elect him to the Hall of Fame as a coach in the next 10 years.

Reactions: JohnJumba

Nittany1865Farmer

Oct 12, 2021
I heard the City of Pittsburgh has adopted a new slogan for the legacy of its sports teams:

"Pittsburgh - Success is not measured in trophies and titles, but how often we hit .500 season win percentage" 😖

Reactions: JohnJumba and Psu00

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I heard the City of Pittsburgh has adopted a new slogan for the legacy of its sports teams:

"Pittsburgh - Success is not measured in trophies and titles, but how often we hit .500 season win percentage" 😖
I think that is success for the Pirates these days.....

Reactions: JohnJumba

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021

Tomlin’s coaching record is 173-100-2 which is a .631 winning percentage but hey never let facts get in the way of a narrative huh?

Reactions: Erial_Lion

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
As a non-Steelers fan, it seems to me Tomlin has been given three years to get the QB position squared away. Start with Russell Wilson and groom a promising youngster to step up. I don't think Justin Fields is the guy.

Also, if Tomlin stays the full length of the extension, that'll be 21 years with the Steelers. Maybe Tomlin only wanted three years. He'll 55 then. Could it be he feels that would be the age to move on??

*** The above thoughts are pure speculation and are to be used for entertainment purposes only.

Reactions: Bison13

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Tomlin’s coaching record is 173-100-2 which is a .631 winning percentage but hey never let facts get in the way of a narrative huh?
Even with that record, I can certainly see the argument for firing him. I wouldn't do it, but there is some level of sense to it. But to bring race into it and act like the only reason he has a job is due to the color of his skin is asshattery of the highest order.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login