Steelers!

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
My comments were not directed at Tomlin's record, which is certainly respectable. But I will say, that I believe that the lack of discipline is what has been a major contributor for Tomlin's teams not doing well in the playoffs. It reared its ugly head again on that last drive by Dallas on Sunday with a missed assignment on the long as to the tight end.

Reactions: bbrown

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
My comments were not directed at Tomlin's record, which is certainly respectable. But I will say, that I believe that the lack of discipline is what has been a major contributor for Tomlin's teams not doing well in the playoffs. It reared its ugly head again on that last drive by Dallas on Sunday with a missed assignment on the long as to the tight end.
So, does that fall on the HC or the DC? Because I will say that he is loyal to his assistants to a fault. Keith Butler should have been fired immediately after the embarrassing loss to the Jags in the playoffs several years ago. Austin, I think, has done an admirable job considering all the new faces on the D this year. Do assignments get missed, sure. Is that lack of discipline? Meh. Maybe you are right, but assignments get missed at all levels. Players read things incorrectly or the offense adjusts to exploit a weakness. All in the adjustments of the game. I would attribute the lackluster playoff performances to a few things. First, lack of elite QB since Ben retired and even the last few years of Ben were not elite. Also, lack of a consistent, effective run game due to abysmal OL play since Munchak left as OL coach. Also, I think the Steelers still value defense way more than offense in an offensive focused league now. That gets them winning records and playoff berths, but not the ability to compete with the teams who have elite playmakers on offense. I like Mike. I think he’s overall a good guy and has been a really good coach for awhile now, but if he chose to step away and the Steelers decided to hire a young up and coming offensive minded coach in the McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur mold, I’d be pretty excited about that too.

Last edited:

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
So, does that fall on the HC or the DC? Because I will say that he is loyal to his assistants to a fault. Keith Butler should have been fired immediately after the embarrassing loss to the Jags in the playoffs several years ago. Austin, I think, has done an admirable job considering all the new faces on the D this year. Do assignments get missed, sure. Is that lack of discipline? Meh. Maybe you are right, but assignments get missed at all levels. Players read things incorrectly or the offense adjusts to exploit a weakness. All in the adjustments of the game. I would attribute the lackluster playoff performances to a few things. First, lack of elite QB since Ben retired and even the last few years of Ben were not elite. Also, lack of a consistent, effective run game due to abysmal OL play since Munchak left as OL coach. Also, I think the Steelers still value defense way more than offense in an offensive focused league now. That gets them winning records and playoff berths, but not the ability to compete with the teams who have elite playmakers on offense. I like Mike. I think he’s overall a good guy and has been a really good coach for awhile now, but if he chose to step away and the Steelers decided to hire a young up and coming offensive minded coach in the McVay, Shanahan, LaFleur mold, I’d be pretty excited about that too.
Good post and excellent points. So, question. Do you believe e the Steelers can win another SB under Tomlin's helm? IMHO, I don't believe they can.

Reactions: bbrown and LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Good post and excellent points. So, question. Do you believe e the Steelers can win another SB under Tomlin's helm? IMHO, I don't believe they can.
Not in the current make up of the team. They aren’t talented enough at some key spots and the depth is razor thin.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Steelers be Iowa in the big NFL scheme of things. Nice, win a few games, wave at kids in the hospital liked, have a winning record, but nothing special.

Reactions: Alphalion75

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Not in the current make up of the team. They aren’t talented enough at some key spots and the depth is razor thin.
It's been almost 15 years since the Steeler's won a SB. Certainly enough time to build a team capable of winning if all. I just believe there are intangibles that are a part of the winning formula that Tomlin doesn't bring to the show.

Reactions: LB99

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
It's been almost 15 years since the Steeler's won a SB. Certainly enough time to build a team capable of winning if all. I just believe there are intangibles that are a part of the winning formula that Tomlin doesn't bring to the show.
Fair enough. Good point. They missed their best chance with Ben, AB, and Bell. However, that was the timeframe when Butler took over for retiring LeBeau and the defense wasn’t the typical Steelers defense during those years. They appeared to be back on track with Shazier at LB then he got hurt and it took a few years to solidify the LBs again. During that time frame, they missed on some draft picks like Devin Bush. Missed draft picks set organizations back. The Steelers traditionally have drafted very well, but most recently missed on guys like Pickett and Rudolph. That hurts. With that said, I really like their last two drafts under Khan at GM. Solid, good players. Time will tell. Like I said, you may be right, if they went with someone new, I’d be excited also for a new start.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
That is a major insult to us Steelers fans. Please, don’t compare us to the knuckle dragging, pea brained Iowa fans.
I'm a Steelers fan. I was part of Franco's Army and Gerela's Gorillas.

It is what it is at this point. The Steelers need a QB, some OL and a WR to scare someone.

And yes children of the corn are perpetually delusional.

The other day I was listening to a NFL game and the announcer said 'if you want to play TE, there's one place to play" and I yelled at the TV 'Penn State' drawing an annoyed look from my wife. The announcer then said Iowa. I yelled 'you are a moron' at the tv and then realized I was getting old. LOL.

1728401768734.png

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I'm a Steelers fan. I was part of Franco's Army and Gerela's Gorillas.

It is what it is at this point. The Steelers need a QB, some OL and a WR to scare someone.

And yes children of the corn are perpetually delusional.

The other day I was listening to a NFL game and the announcer said 'if you want to play TE, there's one place to play" and I yelled at the TV 'Penn State' drawing an annoyed look from my wife. The announcer then said Iowa. I yelled 'you are a moron' at the tv and then realized I was getting old. LOL.

View attachment 666704
I meant their behavior, not their delusion.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
Fair enough. Good point. They missed their best chance with Ben, AB, and Bell. However, that was the timeframe when Butler took over for retiring LeBeau and the defense wasn’t the typical Steelers defense during those years. They appeared to be back on track with Shazier at LB then he got hurt and it took a few years to solidify the LBs again. During that time frame, they missed on some draft picks like Devin Bush. Missed draft picks set organizations back. The Steelers traditionally have drafted very well, but most recently missed on guys like Pickett and Rudolph. That hurts. With that said, I really like their last two drafts under Khan at GM. Solid, good players. Time will tell. Like I said, you may be right, if they went with someone new, I’d be excited also for a new start.
This has Ryan Day written all over it

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login