Take on the Hines/Jordan slumps......

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Slumps happen, hot streaks happen. In post season play in baseball. Who is in a slump and who is on a hot streak almost always determines the eventual winner. That is the essence of baseball.
All sports, really.

Reactions: L4Dawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I'm kinda curious why no one is talking about the pressure, or responsibility, whatever, that comes with being NIL whores like these guys were at the end of last season.
Is their nil riding on hitting a certain stat line? Otherwise, I'm sure they are just stressing over how they are negatively affecting their draft position more than anything else.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Both players are good batters and good players. They're just having a rough time. I am not a smart enough man to say where they should hit, but I would move them around a little bit in the lineup just to do something to break from the ordinary lineup. What the hell is gonna hurt?

Reactions: HuntDawg

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Tall Dog I agree with you 100 percent. Hines definitely needs to bunt if he can, and the situation calls for a bunt. He is going to strike out anyway and at least this would move a runner along.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

patdog

May 28, 2007
Jordan got a hit and 2 RBI his last plate appearance so hopefully that gets him going heading into regional
I wouldn't read too much into that. It was a big hit, but it wasn't well hit. Just a ground ball that found a hole. I think more relevant is their slumps were over a week ago. Who knows what we'll get this weekend?

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
I wouldn't read too much into that. It was a big hit, but it wasn't well hit. Just a ground ball that found a hole. I think more relevant is their slumps were over a week ago. Who knows what we'll get this weekend?
Sometimes that’s all you need

Reactions: Darryl Steight

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Where would you put them if it were up to you just merely curious? I thought of that but then recognized it might make some sense but then again location change and starting a regional might get them or at least one of them going but who knows.. I just know we gotta have em swing a hot bat to win this regional of at least one of them steady hitting well. Mershon and Hujsack are gonna get their hits and walks among some others surely I hope but we really need DJ and HH to come through that much is for sure
Put DJ batting sixth and HH batting seventh.

Just to move them down in the order and switch their order of appearance, just to (hopefully) reduce their pressure and shake them out of their slumps.

(I'm really just shooting from the hip, just to change up the situation and get better results.)

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
Hines is pulling off the ball so much he just needs to keep his eye on the ball and barrel it up . If he's swinging at the outside pitch he needs to bend his body and put the bat on it. He's trying to much to hit a HR on everything he's swinging at .

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The new season starts tomorrow. No reason not to believe their slumps were left in Hoover.

In sports, and especially in baseball, you are what the numbers say you are.

Individual Conference Batting Statistics
#PLAYERAVGOPSGP-GSABRH2B3BHRRBITBSLG%BBHBPSOGDPOB%SFSHSB
42Jordan, Dakota.304.90930-3011222346051855.491202420.418000-1
44Hines, Hunter.254.97230-30114262950123170.614190421.358100-0

SEC hitting stats across the league (14 teams, 210 games): AVG 0.268, SLG% 0.465, OB% 0.365, and OPS 0.830.

I'm not giving up on Hunter and Dakota.
You are telling me they only hit 11 doubles combined? That is pathetic.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Also while we are at it… the whole productive out thing some people need to look into. There are very few “productive” outs in the course of a game….

and one could argue that a 12 pitch strikeout is actually more productive than weak contact resulting in an out on the 1st or 2nd pitch… and it’s definitely better than a double play.

too many people worried about striking out. A guy that goes 1 for 4 with a 2 run homer and 3k…. Is way more productive than a guy that goes 1 for 3, with a sac fly, and 0k. But one guy is hitting 333 with 0 strike outs the other is hitting 250 with 3 strikeouts… it’s amazing how many people love one and despise the other
One of the worst things to happen to baseball is when the analytics began to show that K's weren't your worst enemy. People say the strike and steroids killed baseball - it didn't, it was the analytics. I actually think baseball was making a return after the strike and steroids, but the analytic takeover beginning about 20 years ago is really what has done the sport in.

And it sucks, because you can't deny them - they work. Bombs and velo is the name of the game. But I think early on, baseball was intended to be played a certain way. It was supposed to be quirky and use strategy. Strikeouts were an embarrassment, slick fielders were valued. Nowadays it's just a barrage of K's and bombs, and fielding literally isn't even a part of the game for the most part.

I don't know how to do it, but that's what we need to get back to. College could lead the way on this, most innovation starts there. But the gig may be up, no one's going back to the old way. I mean I don't even know how you can start to do it.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
One of the worst things to happen to baseball is when the analytics began to show that K's weren't your worst enemy. People say the strike and steroids killed baseball - it didn't, it was the analytics. I actually think baseball was making a return after the strike and steroids, but the analytic takeover beginning about 20 years ago is really what has done the sport in.

And it sucks, because you can't deny them - they work. Bombs and velo is the name of the game. But I think early on, baseball was intended to be played a certain way. It was supposed to be quirky and use strategy. Strikeouts were an embarrassment, slick fielders were valued. Nowadays it's just a barrage of K's and bombs, and fielding literally isn't even a part of the game for the most part.

I don't know how to do it, but that's what we need to get back to. College could lead the way on this, most innovation starts there. But the gig may be up, no one's going back to the old way. I mean I don't even know how you can start to do it.
I’m sure there are some pureist that like the flex offense and the wishbone. Adapt or die. Eat or be eaten. When people figured out the slick fielding short stop made 1 million and the power hitter made 10… pretty easy decision

babe Ruth struck out a lot. Hit a lot of homers….. people wanna be babe Ruth, not the short stop no one remembers… hard to blame em

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m sure there are some pureist that like the flex offense and the wishbone. Adapt or die. Eat or be eaten. When people figured out the slick fielding short stop made 1 million and the power hitter made 10… pretty easy decision

babe Ruth struck out a lot. Hit a lot of homers….. people wanna be babe Ruth, not the short stop no one remembers… hard to blame em
All that is fine when it comes to winning at the pro level, but baseball is declining in popularity. Winning means nothing if the sport is not making money.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
All that is fine when it comes to winning at the pro level, but baseball is declining in popularity. Winning means nothing if the sport is not making money.
All sports are in decline minus football. It has nothing to do with the style the game is being played…. Yet with the tv deals and such the players are making more money now than ever.

but it doesn’t just win at the pro level. It wins at every level from the upper high school level upward... hence why it’s trickled down and will continue to

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
All sports are in decline minus football. It has nothing to do with the style the game is being played…. Yet with the tv deals and such the players are making more money now than ever.

but it doesn’t just win at the pro level. It wins at every level from the upper high school level upward... hence why it’s trickled down and will continue to
Analytics have less influence the more of a disparity in talent you have. So, they work less in college, even less in high school, and on down. That's why there's more innovation in those areas, as people are constantly trying to figure out a way to compete with higher-talented teams.

You can use analytics at those level if you have top talent, but not much use beyond that. Then you end up like use, with folks like Hines and DJ.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Analytics have less influence the more of a disparity in talent you have. So, they work less in college, even less in high school, and on down. That's why there's more innovation in those areas, as people are constantly trying to figure out a way to compete with higher-talented teams.

You can use analytics at those level if you have top talent, but not much use beyond that. Then you end up like use, with folks like Hines and DJ.
This is actually the opposite of true. Lesser teams have use analytics for years to compete on a bigger stage with teams that don’t use it.

you are way off the mark if you think talent in any way effects analytics or that you need a certain amount of talent for it to be successful

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
As talented as these guys are when 'on' the depth of their helplessness when 'off' really limits the value they bring to the team and having them both slumping at the same time at this time of year is devastating. It is further exacerbated by the breadth of their slumps going long stretches where they can't even make a productive out. No offense to these guys, but I think I would much rather have a consistent .270 hitter that hits 5 HR a year with 30 Ks than a guy hitting .300 with 10+HR, 70+Ks and frequently disappears for entire weekends and now even weeks at a time. It is great when they are on but such inconsistency has obviously make it difficult to build success.

Question for the board. How much of this do you place on coaching or is this just their natural tendency? Hines BA and Ks have gotten worse every year he has played (.300/58, .297/64, .265/73) Jordan's BA improved but his Ks have skyrocketed (.307/46, .339/77).

I just know it is BRUTAL to watch this happen right now.
Their hitting slumps are further exacerbated by their ****** taste in music.....both of these are very fixable.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is actually the opposite of true. Lesser teams have use analytics for years to compete on a bigger stage with teams that don’t use it.

you are way off the mark if you think talent in any way effects analytics or that you need a certain amount of talent for it to be successful
I actually stated that the wrong way. Everyone uses analytics of some kind. But the mainstream data is more applicable to players when the talent is similar - because they were formed in professional sports, where the talent is similar, and a certain level of play is expected.

The fact that college teams innovate isn't really based on specific analytics, even though yeah analytics have shown for years that it's more efficient to hit home runs or whatever. Put it this way, if Florida baseball used analytics, and Stetson used analytics, Florida is going to win - every time. Stetson's only option is to recruit better players, and you don't need analytics to tell you do that. And since they realistically can't do that, they have to figure out another way - data or not. Maybe they have some sort of data that tells them that another type of player mix or system could produce more runs for them, but again, that's not the mainstream analytics.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I actually stated that the wrong way. Everyone uses analytics of some kind. But the mainstream data is more applicable to players when the talent is similar - because they were formed in professional sports, where the talent is similar, and a certain level of play is expected.

The fact that college teams innovate isn't really based on specific analytics, even though yeah analytics have shown for years that it's more efficient to hit home runs or whatever. Put it this way, if Florida baseball used analytics, and Stetson used analytics, Florida is going to win - every time. Stetson's only option is to recruit better players, and you don't need analytics to tell you do that. And since they realistically can't do that, they have to figure out another way - data or not. Maybe they have some sort of data that tells them that another type of player mix or system could produce more runs for them, but again, that's not the mainstream analytics.
Analytics weren’t created in pro sports. Once you get to the upper high school level or the level where there aren’t 6 walks, 5 errors, and the entire team can steal second… it works just fine. You don’t need professional level of play for it to be applicable.

I get what you’re saying. That even being the best analytically doesn’t mean you can over come a talent gap… when the talent gap is large…. But a talent gap has nothing to do with analytics

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Hines is pulling off the ball so much he just needs to keep his eye on the ball and barrel it up . If he's swinging at the outside pitch he needs to bend his body and put the bat on it. He's trying to much to hit a HR on everything he's swinging at .
He needs to learn to drive a ball oppo. He doesn't have to lean to reach a pitch, he has to let the ball get to a point to drive it oppo gap. He's pull happy and can't hit lefty pitching either.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He needs to learn to drive a ball oppo. He doesn't have to lean to reach a pitch, he has to let the ball get to a point to drive it oppo gap. He's pull happy and can't hit lefty pitching either.
Over half his homers are against lefties. He also hit lefties in the cape this summer

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Over half his homers are against lefties. He also hit lefties in the cape this summer
They've stopped giving him pitches to pull and he's not adjusted. He's not even swinging a lot of times. He can keep sitting on a pull pitch but unless someone screws up, he's not getting it. And he was using the whole field more early season but that's done. You don't go into a slump like his without getting figured out.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They've stopped giving him pitches to pull and he's not adjusted. He's not even swinging a lot of times. He can keep sitting on a pull pitch but unless someone screws up, he's not getting it. And he was using the whole field more early season but that's done. You don't go into a slump like his without getting figured out.
They’ve had 3 years to figure him out… and they just now did it?

this board has had him figured out for years.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
They’ve had 3 years to figure him out… and they just now did it?

this board has had him figured out for years.
When a player is playing poorly and opponents see what they're doing, it's easy. Hence, he's playing poorly and opponents have figured out what he's struggling to do. I'm starting the think you're his mom at this point.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Pure idiots in this thread…. That’s why you leave them be
Really, who was going to hit and play for them? We don't have anyone to do it on the bench. We couldn't sit them if we wanted to.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Really, who was going to hit and play for them? We don't have anyone to do it on the bench. We couldn't sit them if we wanted to.
Not if you read the game thread.

when you have talented hitters you leave em alone. And let em be. We have two. They haven’t been the problem all year and weren’t tonight

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
And for all the people talking about Hines and lefties….

Hines was a big enough presence to get Jordan pitched too in that spot. Left on left, they didn’t want Hines. They wanted Jordan.

Again bunch of fools in this thread

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'd have gone with a different order but sitting them isn't an option. Weve basically thrown them to the wolves with the lineup and told them to swim or drown. They both hit better tonight. Jordan didn't over think it there and Hines had two good ABs.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
And for all the people talking about Hines and lefties….

Hines was a big enough presence to get Jordan pitched too in that spot. Left on left, they didn’t want Hines. They wanted Jordan.

Again bunch of fools in this thread
How about you stick your head into a slotted bucket of turds

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Anyone want Jordan to take a nice easy swing there????!

lol 17ing fools I tell ya

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Doesn't 20/20 makes everybody an expert? Not everybody said they should be sat down. Too talented to take out of lineup, just move them different in the lineup.

I would still move them into different spots to make the opposition sweat.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
And idiots are idiots

Off a lefty too? Thought he was figured out

Bunch of 17ing dumbases

• Haha
Reactions: Lettuce

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
1. Nobody chokes up to put the ball in play anymore.
2. Only one of those two are top 15 RBI guys in the SEC, neither are top 15 HR in the SEC, neither are top 15 in slugging. They aren't good power hitters.
3. Both are top 3 in Ks.
4. There are a ton of good things that can happen with a ball in play, and few bad things.

Neither are doing their jobs well. Both are seeing their draft stock fall.
Just curious if after their weekends and all regional performances where Jordan showcased his skills. Hines hit a 444 foot homer off a lefty and made numerous athletic plays at 1st

if their draft stocks recovered or not?

lol

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Hard to believe these guys break out of their slumps and we can't even take one game from virginia. Just shows how inept the rest of our offense was this year.

Combined Regional stats (if I did the math correctly)

17 for 35
.485 avg
.550 obp
.857 slg
responsible for 14 of 24 rbis

In losses to virginia
8 for 16
.500 avg
.579 obp
.938 slg
responsible for 5 of 6 rbis

8 Ks in 40 appearances (Hines struck out once, DJ 7 times)

• Wow
Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hard to believe these guys break out of their slumps and we can't even take one game from virginia. Just shows how inept the rest of our offense was this year.

Combined Regional stats (if I did the math correctly)

17 for 35
.485 avg
.550 obp
.857 slg
responsible for 14 of 24 rbis

In losses to virginia
8 for 16
.500 avg
.579 obp
.938 slg
responsible for 5 of 6 rbis

8 Ks in 40 appearances (Hines struck out once, DJ 7 times)
Think their draft status remains in tact.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login