Take on the Hines/Jordan slumps......

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hard to believe these guys break out of their slumps and we can't even take one game from virginia. Just shows how inept the rest of our offense was this year.

Combined Regional stats (if I did the math correctly)

17 for 35
.485 avg
.550 obp
.857 slg
responsible for 14 of 24 rbis

In losses to virginia
8 for 16
.500 avg
.579 obp
.938 slg
responsible for 5 of 6 rbis

8 Ks in 40 appearances (Hines struck out once, DJ 7 times)
Me, earlier in this thread: "Either of those guys is fully capable of driving in 10 runs this weekend." They drove in 19 combined. Sad thing about the losses to UVA. They actually had all 5 RBIs. The 6th run scored on a pickoff throw to 2nd that went into center field. All of our RBIs came on 2 swings of the bat. Zero production the rest of the 18 innings we played them.

• Wow
Reactions: Darryl Steight
Oct 17, 2023
One of the worst things to happen to baseball is when the analytics began to show that K's weren't your worst enemy. People say the strike and steroids killed baseball - it didn't, it was the analytics. I actually think baseball was making a return after the strike and steroids, but the analytic takeover beginning about 20 years ago is really what has done the sport in.

And it sucks, because you can't deny them - they work. Bombs and velo is the name of the game. But I think early on, baseball was intended to be played a certain way. It was supposed to be quirky and use strategy. Strikeouts were an embarrassment, slick fielders were valued. Nowadays it's just a barrage of K's and bombs, and fielding literally isn't even a part of the game for the most part.

I don't know how to do it, but that's what we need to get back to. College could lead the way on this, most innovation starts there. But the gig may be up, no one's going back to the old way. I mean I don't even know how you can start to do it.

Go back to the ball being less tightly wrapped and back to the bigger seams.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login