Talent Attrition

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That worked great. My concern is now if you find the rough 2/3 star in Yazoo County and develop him, he's going to be gone to the highest bidder within three years. Under Mulllen, the first year was developing the player and getting him PT, the next year was fine tuning the player, the third year the player balled out then left for the NFL. Now we wouldn't get that 3rd year and if we can pay to keep him, it'd take a large proportion of the our NIL funds. We may keep that first round D lineman talent, but would it cost us four average O linemen? All this is above my head, hopefully Levy is very in-tuned to this and has a plan/system that will work for us.
In my mind, that's where our NIL comes in. I don't think it's as pronounced as we think.

Reactions: bulldoghair

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And it goes beyond just the team and coaches. I don’t blame anyone for not liking NIL, but as an AD of a ln SEC program, I’m sure gonna blame your *** for a complete refusal to accept it. We had no time to waste, but he willfully burned 2 years on our behalf
This is one of he most dishonest lies told here. How do any of you know that Cohen didn't care about NIL? Do you think he was plumb stupid? After all he had done for MSU, ya'll really think that?

Our fanbase simply does not have FU money laying around. It makes sense that we were late to the NIL party.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
That's the script for us. It's still funny to me that ya'll want to try and compete with what the blue bloods do well. We HAVE to develop. The key is finding those right kids and the best way to distribute our NIL.
Here's the problem with that. While we certainly did have a lot of the lesser recruited/scrappy developed players under Mullen, they were supplemented with having some big time talents too. The type of talents that in today's world, we HAVE to play the game to get.

Chad Bumphis - 4 star, #132nd overall recruit
Fletcher Cox - 4 star, #152nd overall
Josh Boyd - 4 star, #172nd overall
Pernell McPhee - 4 star, #6 JUCO
Denico Autry - 4 star, #2 JUCO
Chris Jones - 5 star, #18 overall
Fred Ross - 4 star, #196 overall
Martinas Rankin - 4 star, #9 JUCO
Jeffery Simmons - 5 star, #18 overall
Willie Gay - 4 star, #70 overall
Kylin Hill - 4 star, #203 overall

I have no issue with getting diamonds in the rough and hoping we find more like Dak, Elgton Jenkins, JRob, and Erroll Thompson. But unless you have the top end talent also, you won't be very good.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Here's the problem with that. While we certainly did have a lot of the lesser recruited/scrappy developed players under Mullen, they were supplemented with having some big time talents too. The type of talents that in today's world, we HAVE to play the game to get.

Chad Bumphis - 4 star, #132nd overall recruit
Fletcher Cox - 4 star, #152nd overall
Josh Boyd - 4 star, #172nd overall
Pernell McPhee - 4 star, #6 JUCO
Denico Autry - 4 star, #2 JUCO
Chris Jones - 5 star, #18 overall
Fred Ross - 4 star, #196 overall
Martinas Rankin - 4 star, #9 JUCO
Jeffery Simmons - 5 star, #18 overall
Willie Gay - 4 star, #70 overall
Kylin Hill - 4 star, #203 overall

I have no issue with getting diamonds in the rough and hoping we find more like Dak, Elgton Jenkins, JRob, and Erroll Thompson. But unless you have the top end talent also, you won't be very good.
Fine, pay those guys, we did back in the day.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Leach was a very poor recruiter. This isn’t a secret
I don’t think that’s true. Leach didn’t have to bring in elite talent for his system to work on offense….particularly at OL and QB. That was the whole point of the hire, because we can’t get those guys at MSU anyway. We still needed it on defense, which we generally got until the class of 2021….which was a major down year for defensive talent in MS, and everything since then has been in the NIL era.

The rude awakening many fans are about to have is that the “excellent recruiter” HC that we just hired isn’t going to have any more success there than past hires, and will be doing well just to match what we were doing in the late 2010’s. Because “being a good recruiter” is just a cliché way of saying you are down to earth, relatable to players, and also, at the same time, determined and hardworking to sell the program and be diligent in pursuit of prospects. But none of that means you’ll actually sign anyone worth a crap, because somebody still has to 17ing pay for them. That’s really all that matters.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
While listening to T&L the other day, there was a comment about how this could end up being a solid WR class if we end up getting Stonka back in the boat along with picking up another commitment, and I thought to myself…

Why does it feel like this is around the 8th year in a row that we’ve said that, only for 2-3 out of every class to no longer be on the roster after a couple seasons?

Because we’ve been unstable as heck since Mullen left. Dan was four coaches ago now and he was still here in November 2017.

Reactions: patdog

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I don’t think that’s true. Leach didn’t have to bring in elite talent for his system to work on offense….particularly at OL and QB. That was the whole point of the hire, because we can’t get those guys at MSU anyway. We still needed it on defense, which we generally got until the class of 2021….which was a major down year for defensive talent in MS, and everything since then has been in the NIL era.

The rude awakening many fans are about to have is that the “excellent recruiter” HC that we just hired isn’t going to have any more success there than past hires, and will be doing well just to match what we were doing in the late 2010’s. Because “being a good recruiter” is just a cliché way of saying you are down to earth, relatable to players, and also at the determined / hardworking to sell the program and be diligent in pursuit of prospects. But none of that means you’ll actually sign anyone worth a crap, because somebody still has to 17ing pay for them. That’s really all that matters.

Good post.

This era is going to prove much harder to rebuild a program in due to money, if you don’t have it. in the past Dan or Leach could use wit/talent evaluation/development/regional footprint and sometimes luck to compensate , but that’s gone, it’s all about the cash.

if you are a have not monetarily in this environment you are really going to struggle to build a program or compete.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
NIL and the portal are net negatives for schools like State. I wonder if any of the reformers here will admit that?
Nil as a whole is gonna hurt more players than it helps

But it might not be a bad net for msu if they eliminate yearly free agency

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Leach's offense was not a deterrent to MSU recrootin. Your just and idiot. Our offense was much better this season, wasn't it? With all your blowhard RuN dA bAwL bros in charge.

There is no way to convince our hardcore morons. That is why Cohen left, he knew he had done all he could do. Many forward thinkers feel this way, and just have to vacate the premises because morons like you outnumber them.

We have no plan at all right now. Rockstar press conferences, &tate, give to NIL. WTF? Youth movement, I mean what are we even trying to do? Hiring best friends, blah blah blah. But at the core we just want to keep doing what we've always done, which has netted us one of the worst football programs in the SEC historically. We have learned nothing.
That is not why cohen left.

Not at all. Cohen would have stayed if we would have offered more money. Didn’t have to match Auburn either.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The Purse Strings are still controlled by guys and gals who sit high up on the Donation Pole. Abd they are still "GOOD OL BOYS" who still love to hobnob with Larry Templeton when he comes to town. Kind of a "Deep State at State" if you will.
In the Documentary of Thunder and Lighting LT had a booger in his nose.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This is one of he most dishonest lies told here. How do any of you know that Cohen didn't care about NIL? Do you think he was plumb stupid? After all he had done for MSU, ya'll really think that?

Our fanbase simply does not have FU money laying around. It makes sense that we were late to the NIL party.
This is where you’re making an *** of yourself due to your lack of knowledge. Cohen had no idea what he was doing with the NIL.

We raised nearly $5M in NIL the last 6 weeks per Charlie Winfield. That puts in the $10M range for football alone, good for probably top20-25 in the country in football NIL. Again, you’re parroting complete b u l l s h I t. You know nothing.

Reactions: patdog

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Leach was a good football coach, period. Did he have his weaknesses? Of course. Somebody please name one coach that doesn't? I have said this is other threads NIL or no NIL we are always the last dog at the food bowl. We have to act accordingly. This means we do have to rely on the development of players. Is there a risk they might jump ship in today's environment? Of course there is but we are not going to compete with the blue bloods for players so we have to do it. Does this mean we have to accept mediocrity? No it does not. It means we have to be strategic in using the resources we do have.

The thing that I liked most about Leach was he had a gimmick and he recruited to that gimmick. The idea that we are going to cigar boy up and run the ball to success is just plain dumb. We tried for 100 years and where did it get us? I like Lebby as an offensive mind but the simple truth is we have to do things differently than the other programs around us otherwise the long hoped for break through that many on here want will never happen.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Lol are you inferring that DJ went to Washington because he didn't want to play SEC defenses?
Well Leach did tell him he needed to toughen up. Just saying.*** I don't why he went to Washington but if they get to Alabama, he will be reminded about SEC defenses.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Actually, it would have been. That has been proven everywhere he has been.

Look at this thread. @Called3rdstrikedawg called it correctly in post #5. That good ole boy thinking is pervasive with @L4Dawg and @retire the banner. They don't want to change anything. Everything they've posted in this thread is complete horseshlt. I mean the guy's handle says it all, he wants to retire the logo of the most successful time period in MSU sports history. Ludicrous.

Cohen saw all this coming, and thought outside the box. I admit I'm one of the ones who thought we had to run the ball, etc., like the good ole boys, at the time. But Leach proved he could get the players. And something else he proved.......the offense we run doesn't matter. Defense is king at MSU, I'm convinced of this. Mullen knew it, Leach knew it. We just need to be competent on offense.

Then somebody says that we had an AD that didn't value portal? WTF? Leach brought in some great players out of the portal. Bottom line, Leach was too good for our stupid *** fanbase.

I say again, 17 OUR FANBASE
Leach was a safe, lazy hire. It was a hire to attempt to keep us right where we were, for a while. The fact remains that we were going to go through this, whenever he retired or got fired.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Leach's offense was not a deterrent to MSU recrootin. Your just and idiot. Our offense was much better this season, wasn't it? With all your blowhard RuN dA bAwL bros in charge.

There is no way to convince our hardcore morons. That is why Cohen left, he knew he had done all he could do. Many forward thinkers feel this way, and just have to vacate the premises because morons like you outnumber them.

We have no plan at all right now. Rockstar press conferences, &tate, give to NIL. WTF? Youth movement, I mean what are we even trying to do? Hiring best friends, blah blah blah. But at the core we just want to keep doing what we've always done, which has netted us one of the worst football programs in the SEC historically. We have learned nothing.
Cohen left before he got left.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Our recrootin classes were ranked just fine with Leach in charge, and would have gotten better over time due to his name cache. I didn't see any problem with our tailback recrootin, plenty of talent there.

As soon as we got the MS bros in charge this year, recrootin plummeted.
They were getting worse and that would have continued. Leach had a great name among his groupies, but he was not as well thought of as those people think, not even CLOSE.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Leach was a good football coach, period. Did he have his weaknesses? Of course. Somebody please name one coach that doesn't? I have said this is other threads NIL or no NIL we are always the last dog at the food bowl. We have to act accordingly. This means we do have to rely on the development of players. Is there a risk they might jump ship in today's environment? Of course there is but we are not going to compete with the blue bloods for players so we have to do it. Does this mean we have to accept mediocrity? No it does not. It means we have to be strategic in using the resources we do have.

The thing that I liked most about Leach was he had a gimmick and he recruited to that gimmick. The idea that we are going to cigar boy up and run the ball to success is just plain dumb. We tried for 100 years and where did it get us? I like Lebby as an offensive mind but the simple truth is we have to do things differently than the other programs around us otherwise the long hoped for break through that many on here want will never happen.
I hate all of this so much. You truly are Lucifer

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don’t see anyone here who thinks Arnett and his staff were the right guys to lead this program. Not sure why you keep referencing that tenure, it was a mess.

If you think Leach was a good recruiter then I’ve got nothing for you. It never was a strength of his.
Correct, nobody here or anywhere else complained that we let Arnett go.

Reactions: retire the banner

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Well Leach did tell him he needed to toughen up. Just saying.*** I don't why he went to Washington but if they get to Alabama, he will be reminded about SEC defenses.
Option 1
  • Wanted to play at a bigger program
  • Wanted to play in an offense that runs more
  • Wanted to play with a Heisman contender
  • Wanted a shot at making the playoff
  • Wanted more NIL money

Option 2
  • He's just a *****!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I hate all of this so much. You truly are Lucifer
So your solution is throw money around and hope? And I guess thank you for your hate. I would add also, if I am wrong then I am wrong, but I see your way of thinking as pie in sky. You see mine as too simplistic and backward thinking. I guess we will find out, but hopefully we can both agree on a passion for State football even if we do not see things eye to eye.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We recruited poorly under the Leach Recruiting Czar model. It destroyed our program. Go look at all the guys playing G5 now.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
And it was a very small minded hire. It went against the grain of what Mississippi State can do well (RB’s, OL, and defense). Daniel Hill and his dad (a former MSU player) have said publicly they would never consider MSU if Leach was still here. Now he’s on a visit this weekend. These are the players we need to land if we’re going to have success
This line of thinking is why we have negative winning percentages against everyone in the SEC. 3 yds and a cloud of dust didn't work for us before it was outdated.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Option 1
  • Wanted to play at a bigger program
  • Wanted to play in an offense that runs more
  • Wanted to play with a Heisman contender
  • Wanted a shot at making the playoff
  • Wanted more NIL money

Option 2
  • He's just a *****!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I really don't care why he left. He left and we could have used him.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Good post.

This era is going to prove much harder to rebuild a program in due to money, if you don’t have it. in the past Dan or Leach could use wit/talent evaluation/development/regional footprint and sometimes luck to compensate , but that’s gone, it’s all about the cash.

if you are a have not monetarily in this environment you are really going to struggle to build a program or compete.
Yep. Without doing something completely different, we may as well just collect the welfare money and try and build basketball into something that can make money.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That is not why cohen left.

Not at all. Cohen would have stayed if we would have offered more money. Didn’t have to match Auburn either.
Roundabout, we agree. He was run out of town. He tried his best, but no one appreciate his plans.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach was a safe, lazy hire. It was a hire to attempt to keep us right where we were, for a while. The fact remains that we were going to go through this, whenever he retired or got fired.
It was the exact opposite of everything we had ever done. It was definitely safe because Leach was a winner....but not lazy. Cohen took a risk by getting a guy who did things differently, and our idiot fanbase (you included) did not appreciate any of it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Roundabout, we agree. He was run out of town. He tried his best, but no one appreciate his plans.
Ok but that’s different than what you said.

I liked cohen. I think he did a decent to good job. But he was pretty arrogant and he started to get a little political (or his wife did).

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The problem now is that if we find a diamond in the rough, after we let it shine, someone else will come in and buy the diamonds at market price. We need to go another direction in this new era, we need to figure out a Moneyball type strategy. Maybe just recruit the portal and go after some numbers methodology similar to what the Moneyball guys did in baseball. Maybe they’re too ugly, or gay, or autistic, or have one arm, or whatever. If we don’t discover this underdog NIL and transfer portal talent gap neutralizer, someone else will.

Reactions: RopeDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login